ADVERTISEMENT

Screw changing generational poverty...

Mc-cal.jpg

You know how I cured growing up in poverty, I worked 40 hours a week, went to UK and got a Accounting Degree. So the opportunities are there for everybody if you are willing to work and sacrifice for it.
Problem is if you work 40 hours a week isn't coming anywhere close to paying for college these days unless you manage to get a good paying job straight out of HS, which is exceedingly rare. Cost of college has risen significantly higher than wages.

Let's say $15 at 40 hours, which frankly is really good money for someone straight out of HS these days. That's only $31,200 a year before taxes. Tuition and literally no other college expenses is 12,484 a year for an in-state undergrad, that's 40% of your pre-tax salary.

So then your left with only $18,716 to cover all of your basic living expenses + the remaining college expenses, that's only $9.00 per hour of pre-tax salary to live on. The living wage salary in Kentucky is $10.98 an hour, so poverty-level income after paying for college.

That means you're forced to take out thousands of dollars a year in loans to be able to afford to live AND go to college, and student loan debt can be quite crippling after graduation. I've known people who lived at home commuting to a state school to save money who instead opted to go grad school because their job prospects weren't going to be enough to be able to pay off their debt without living in poverty.

I was talking to someone today.

I'm not sure Cal is capable of changing the program in any meaningful way.

No solid 3 or 4 year player is going to choose UK because he knows he won't get playing time and he'll be recruited over every year he is here

so that leaves Cal in a very niche area of recruiting highly rated freshmen, coddling them while they are here and then watching them leave whether they perform at a high level or not.

When people say Cal isn't going to change, I think what they are really saying is he doesn't have a choice.

Problem is if you work 40 hours a week isn't coming anywhere close to paying for college these days unless you manage to get a good paying job straight out of HS, which is exceedingly rare. Cost of college has risen significantly higher than wages.

Let's say $15 at 40 hours, which frankly is really good money for someone straight out of HS these days. That's only $31,200 a year before taxes. Tuition and literally no other college expenses is 12,484 a year for an in-state undergrad, that's 40% of your pre-tax salary.

So then your left with only $18,716 to cover all of your basic living expenses + the remaining college expenses, that's only $9.00 per hour of pre-tax salary to live on. The living wage salary in Kentucky is $10.98 an hour, so poverty-level income after paying for college.

That means you're forced to take out thousands of dollars a year in loans to be able to afford to live AND go to college, and student loan debt can be quite crippling after graduation. I've known people who lived at home commuting to a state school to save money who instead opted to go grad school because their job prospects weren't going to be enough to be able to pay off their debt without living in poverty.

Or you can go to community college for the first two years at a fraction of the cost while living at home and working through college. There are also millions of dollars in unused scholarships each year. There are ways to graduate debt free when you take debt off the table.

Sorry for derailing and turning into a financial thread.

No. I'm all for it. There are a lot of poor kids from E Ky that would give it their all to put on the blue. They wouldn't shame the university the way this band of misfits has.
I bet they would love to stand in Rupp and hear my Ole Ky Home and proudly stand and honor America and its military heroes for the National Anthem

No. I'm all for it. There are a lot of poor kids from E Ky that would give it their all to put on the blue. They wouldn't shame the university the way this band of misfits has.
Some of the best that ever played at Kentucky were from Kentucky and some didn't have pro potential and some did. As long as he is coach there won't be any Rex Chapman, Wallace Jones or Frank Ramsey's because they don't fit his criteria for what it takes to be a pro. Players like Richie Farmer, Pelphrey and Feldhaus had great careers here and Kentucky still won games but that was because those boys were the heart and soul of the team.

Supposedly if you are born white you get a “white privilege” card and can use it everywhere you go and get anything you want handed to you. I’m still looking for this card, mine must have got lost in the mail. I’m pissed.
never got my card worked 60 hrs week to get what i have.
but sure saw a lot of black privilege they called it affirmative action.

Some of the best that ever played at Kentucky were from Kentucky and some didn't have pro potential and some did. As long as he is coach there won't be any Rex Chapman, Wallace Jones or Frank Ramsey's because they don't fit his criteria for what it takes to be a pro. Players like Richie Farmer, Pelphrey and Feldhaus had great careers here and Kentucky still won games but that was because those boys were the heart and soul of the team.
Rex was a McDonald's AA and a lottery pick. I'd say he fits the bill.

Supposedly if you are born white you get a “white privilege” card and can use it everywhere you go and get anything you want handed to you. I’m still looking for this card, mine must have got lost in the mail. I’m pissed.
I'm from Eastern Kentucky and I can safely assure anyone that there's no such thing as "White Privilege" there. If you do happen to make it out you'll still have to deal with ridicule and predetermined bias from those who are not from there.

Good Lord. It occurs to me, that many of the forum members, would have stood with Duke Power in 1973. And that's a damn shame.

Reactions: ksharpless
Odd. I’ve been searching high and low for said card all my life as well. If you do find it, please let a honky know. [laughing]

You know how I cured growing up in poverty, I worked 40 hours a week, went to UK and got a Accounting Degree. So the opportunities are there for everybody if you are willing to work and sacrifice for it.
A classic viewpoint of white privilege. Of course it is also correct.

Maybe Dems will pass reparations and obviate the need. Without those Cal’ s hands have been tied.
Well that’s exciting to me! My ancestors fought for the Union , some of them died freeing slaves . I can take you to a cemetery and show you the headstones. So I’m in line to get reparations , right ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT