ADVERTISEMENT

Same result every season

Jun 2, 2023
At what point do fans start holding Stoops accountable just like they do Cal? lol it’s funny how fans want this program to make it to that next level but that’ll never happen under Stoops. He’s paid 9 million a year to win a pointless bowl game every year. Kentucky should pay that to an actual football coach…..

At what point do fans start holding Stoops accountable just like they do Cal? lol it’s funny how fans want this program to make it to that next level but that’ll never happen under Stoops. He’s paid 9 million a year to win a pointless bowl game every year. Kentucky should pay that to an actual football coach…..
You have zero clue whether Stoops gets us to the next level. I still think the odds are very slim that replacing him would yield better results. More likely to do worse than better.

You have zero clue whether Stoops gets us to the next level. I still think the odds are very slim that replacing him would yield better results. More likely to do worse than better.
Stoops has been here over 10 years. We have a clue on if he’ll get us to the next level. He may do it. He may not, but we’re not blind guessing at this point in his tenure.

Yeah, this is where I'm at with Stoops. I don't think he'll ever get us to a playoff or SEC title game and to get to that level we'd need someone else. However, I also think the odds are that if we were to replace Stoops that we would get someone much worse and suffer through some god awful football. It's a testament to what Stoops has done here that we are complaining about not beating Georgia and getting to SEC title games or winning the division. 11-12 years ago this board was ticked off that Joker couldn't win more than 3 games.

Stoops has been here over 10 years. We have a clue on if he’ll get us to the next level. He may do it. He may not, but we’re not blind guessing at this point in his tenure.
When he took over we were absolutely in the gutter. If two 10 win seasons along with a string of winning seasons (covid excepted) isn't proof of his potential you might as well give up. Do you really think it is likely to replace him with a proven head coach who has done more in a similar situation? He does not have the luxury of cushy schedules that many coaches have made their names on.

So your position is we should Accept 30+ beat down by teams like UGA. Is that the best we csn hope for?

Reactions: RunninRichie
Tough to get there when you have to play the best program in college football on one of the all time dominant streaks. And you have to play plenty other top shelf opponents too.

Stoops won 10 games twice in the last few years. We normally play Georgia tough despite the above. I'm not sure realistically what results people think we should be getting and who would get them

1. Football is the cash cow of college athletics even UK. I wrote an article on it
2. Mark personally brings in much more to the Univ than he is paid
3. Just because you change coaches does not mean you will experience success see Neb, the u, Bama after Curry, Mich until Harbaugh etc etc etc
4. UK plays in the SEC which is the premier football conference with real blue bloods unlike bball
5. UK went almost 40 yrs and NEVER invested in football. It was hoops only
6. It’s about talent. UK football has finally gotten to the point that they can compete with almost anyone except for 7-8 teams in the country. Almost all in their own conference ie Bama, UGA are the 2 main ones.
7. Stoops has beaten Ped State, LSU, Fl, just to name a few. All of whom are blue bloods
8. Stoops owns Levisville at this point. 12 yrs ago, the jury was out
9. Look at the players that he has put in the NFL. No coach before him at UK has done the same.
10. Stoops has winning records against Mizz, Vandy, SC, and is roughly 0.500 against State
11. See I’m not even to the 10 win seasons yet, nor the 7 straight bowls. By the way, there are several teams who have not been to the last 7 including: FSU, The u, NC, the Gators, LSU, Ark, Ole Myth, State, ATM, Ai Car, and Sparty
12. I’m tired of typing this, and no you won’t see the difference in UK football because you choose not to do so

But yeah, there’s more

So your position is we should Accept 30+ beat down by teams like UGA. Is that the best we csn hope for?
Not that we should just accept them but at least recognize no team is totally immune from a beatdown by this UGA team. Night game in a hostile environment has been known to do that to many teams. The Cat's couldn't have looked much worse tonight but it has little bearing on any other game. There is still a lot to play for as long as the teams attitude does not resemble most the fans in any way.

Reactions: CGblue
What we saw last night was unacceptable. We didn't look like a top 100 team in the country. Those small mid majors schools get beat down like that. Not a league SEC program. We have ways to go in college football. Thank God we have the nfl. Sick of being 25th 30th best year in year out at best. It's getting boring. Knowing the best you'll do every year is win only 8 games.

• Haha
Reactions: Jont0805 and K86
What we saw last night was unacceptable. We didn't look like a top 100 team in the country. Those small mid majors schools get beat down like that. Not a league SEC program. We have ways to go in college football. Thank God we have the nfl. Sick of being 25th 30th best year in year out at best. It's getting boring. Knowing the best you'll do every year is win only 8 games.
Pick another team and quit crying already then. The best you'll ever do is 8 wins when Stoops has already won 10 twice? You are terrible at this game.

His offense will never take the next step consistently against good teams or bad teams. Not sure why.

Reactions: K86
UK should win the rest of their games except Alabama and make a good bowl .

Here's a question and before I ask it let me preface by saying I think Stoops has done a helluva job getting the football program out of the gutter. Since we have found out that Stoops makes more money a year than Cal, should he not start catching the same grief Cal does about not getting our monies worth. Remember that the basketball program was in the gutter when Cal got here

Wild to watch the bi-polar takes from last week to this week.

Last night sucked and something I didn’t expect but it’s the reason I’ve thought since the beginning our season is going to be up and down like this. I thought UGA, Alabama, and UT were automatic losses. Every game left except for the 3 I mentioned are tossups. The back half of the schedule is probably the hardest we’ve had under Stoops.

6-7 wins this year will definitely get people chirping. But I will say, UK has ignored football for a lot time. People who thought we’re going to be an upper tier program in the 10 years of investing UK has actually have done are living in a fantasy. Stoops will probably not get us there, but I’ll argue he probably wouldn’t even if was the second coming of Bear Bryant. To be an Alabama, that will take 20 years of investing and consistency. Something Stoops has brought. Just getting to a bowl is not satisfactory anymore and that’s great.

However, moving on Stoops and making the wrong hire would set us back 10 years. And we don’t have the investment history to rebound like when Tennessee or Georgia screws up a hire. I think if the fans are smart and Stoops is smart, he’ll stay until he retires, keeps us steady eddy for another 10 years and then hopefully we can make the right hire to his successor and that guy can bring UK to the next level. You know what you’re going to get with Stoops. A solid defensive team with a guaranteed 6 wins and every couple years win 9-10 games and be in the conversation for the East. Until that is no longer a reality at UK, no one in the administration is going to move on from Stoops nor should they.

If that. We play UT the week after our bye so u know that beat down is coming. No matter who we play after bye week, we have sucked. With Stoops we constantly play down to the level ofcompetition. Not sure what the game plan was against Ga, but I hope he throws it in the trash. Most of the time he looks lost on the sideline. I am ready for a change though I know it won’t happen because of Mitch and another stupid contract. Stoops is who he is and won’t change but we won’t get better with him as head coach.

1. Football is the cash cow of college athletics even UK. I wrote an article on it
2. Mark personally brings in much more to the Univ than he is paid
3. Just because you change coaches does not mean you will experience success see Neb, the u, Bama after Curry, Mich until Harbaugh etc etc etc
4. UK plays in the SEC which is the premier football conference with real blue bloods unlike bball
5. UK went almost 40 yrs and NEVER invested in football. It was hoops only
6. It’s about talent. UK football has finally gotten to the point that they can compete with almost anyone except for 7-8 teams in the country. Almost all in their own conference ie Bama, UGA are the 2 main ones.
7. Stoops has beaten Ped State, LSU, Fl, just to name a few. All of whom are blue bloods
8. Stoops owns Levisville at this point. 12 yrs ago, the jury was out
9. Look at the players that he has put in the NFL. No coach before him at UK has done the same.
10. Stoops has winning records against Mizz, Vandy, SC, and is roughly 0.500 against State
11. See I’m not even to the 10 win seasons yet, nor the 7 straight bowls. By the way, there are several teams who have not been to the last 7 including: FSU, The u, NC, the Gators, LSU, Ark, Ole Myth, State, ATM, Ai Car, and Sparty
12. I’m tired of typing this, and no you won’t see the difference in UK football because you choose not to do so

But yeah, there’s more

I agree with all this. I have to question 7. Are the standards for a blue blood that much lower in college football?

In most other sports you dont have more than 5 or 6.

Given success the last 30 years I'm ok with lsu and Florida but Penn state isn't n the 1980s anymore.

It’s a weird spot because 9 wins in the regular season is a good season especially here but as fans we want more. But I think any coach Kentucky could get would struggle to win a title or compete for one

As with most complex issues, there should be nuance:

-Last night sucked, and I think it's reasonable for the fanbase to expect more than losing like that to what had been a very mediocre Georgia team prior to last night.
-Georgia is the two time defending national champion and has talent stacked on top of talent.
-There are a LOT of programs in the SEC trying to get to the "next level" including a lot of historical powers such as UT, A&M, Arkansas, and Florida. It's not easy. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't TRY, but it's not a given and it is a tough club in which to break into.
-Stoops has owned Mizzou, Vandy, and South Carolina. he has evened the MSU series. This doesn't sound like much, but it was not the case before he was hired. As of late, he has owned U of L and Florida, two teams that the UK fanbase hates more than any other not named UT.
-Stoops deserves criticism for failing to beat UT more, especially with how bad they've been the last 10-12 years.
-SToops is recruiting at a very solid level, but it's still a level below the SEC cream of the crop. I'm not sure if that is changeable.

He makes $9MM a year, and deserves some pressure with that salary. But, I don't want to go back to the days of losing to Vandy and U of L and South Carolina every year. Be careful what you wish for.

Here's a question and before I ask it let me preface by saying I think Stoops has done a helluva job getting the football program out of the gutter. Since we have found out that Stoops makes more money a year than Cal, should he not start catching the same grief Cal does about not getting our monies worth. Remember that the basketball program was in the gutter when Cal got here
A few thoughts:

1. The basketball program was far from the gutter when Cal got here. They went 22-14/8-8 the year before he arrived. Not acceptable for UK but far from the gutter. The football program was 2-10/0-8. It doesn’t even compare.

2. The programs in the SEC that pay their coaches less than Stoops are Florida, Mizzou, USC, Vandy, MSU, Arkansas, Auburn. Every other program pays their coach the same or more. For the SEC, I believe he’s compensated pretty fairly and always believe UK will have to overpay coaches in football.

3. Last night was inexcusable. UT last year was inexcusable.

4. Fans often talk about that if he can’t take that next step, he should get the boot. There is maybe 1 program in the past 25 years that “took the next step” to a consistent top 10-15 program that had little to no football history…Oregon. Maybe I’m missing others? The first step he has taken…top half of the conference, top 25 rankings on an annual basis…is the easiest. That next step into a top 10-15 program consistently is extremely hard. That’s why very few teams do it.

We do need to have expectations of at least being ranked every year. A competitive game yesterday would of kept us in the top 25, but with the beat down we had yesterday it will be a long climb back. If you pay Top 8 coaches pay the very least we should expect is Top 25 product on the field. Yesterdays result was the absolute worst thing that could of happened. Fifty + points to a sputtering offense.

Reactions: bigbluedon
When he took over we were absolutely in the gutter. If two 10 win seasons along with a string of winning seasons (covid excepted) isn't proof of his potential you might as well give up. Do you really think it is likely to replace him with a proven head coach who has done more in a similar situation? He does not have the luxury of cushy schedules that many coaches have made their names on.
Stoops’ record is largely buoyed by cushy games. Almost 75% of his conference wins are against Vandy, Missouri, South Carolina and Mississippi State. All 4 of those schools have been mostly bad in his tenure. A few good years here and there but that’s hardly murderer’s row of a schedule. His schedule in the SEC has been as easy as the SEC has ever been. And it’ll likely never get easier once realignment happens.

Stoops’ record is largely buoyed by cushy games. Almost 75% of his conference wins are against Vandy, Missouri, South Carolina and Mississippi State. All 4 of those schools have been mostly bad in his tenure. A few good years here and there but that’s hardly murderer’s row of a schedule. His schedule in the SEC has been as easy as the SEC has ever been. And it’ll likely never get easier once realignment happens.
So you are wanting to go back to when UK was losing to those teams.

Sad

Sad
No I don’t. I want to get to a level where UK is better than we are now. There’s more than choosing between mediocrity and being terrible. The defeatist attitude of some UK fans is what’s sad.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
This explains uk’s inability to compete in the sec. historically been this way. not hard to understand.

Sad
Right!? UK used to be positioned alongside vandy and comfortably below USC and MSU. People have short memories.

We're now ahead of those programs, along with Florida and Arkansas.

No I don’t. I want to get to a level where UK is better than we are now. There’s more than choosing between mediocrity and being terrible. The defeatist attitude of some UK fans is what’s sad.
Ok Einstein, what’s your plan?

Who can UK get that is noticeably better staff wise? UK is about to sign it’s maybe best recruiting class ever.

It’s about getting talent.

UK IS STILL BEHIND 7-8 TEAMS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

That’s just the way it is for now

I look forward to your in-depth analysis and input to guarantee greater succes

Inquiring minds want to know

Ok Einstein, what’s your plan?

Who can UK get that is noticeably better staff wise? UK is about to sign it’s maybe best recruiting class ever.

It’s about getting talent.

UK IS STILL BEHIND 7-8 TEAMS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL

That’s just the way it is for now

I look forward to your in-depth analysis and input to guarantee greater succes

Inquiring minds want to know
Here's a list of guys that I would call:

Kalen DeBoer - Washington. He’s getting paid $7 million less than Mark Stoops is. Money talks and he’d answer the call for a 700% raise in salary.

Lance Leipold - Kansas. Getting paid $3 million less than Stoops.

Kyle Whittingham - Utah. Getting paid $4 million less than Stoops.

Sonny Dykes - TCU. Getting paid $3 million less than Stoops.

There’s probably a few others that I’m missing right now too. We are paying double the salary of some schools that are having much better results than us. You don’t think some coaches would listen to UK’s offer of double what they’re currently making?

None of which have experience recruiting SEC territory or minimal at best

A few thoughts:

1. The basketball program was far from the gutter when Cal got here. They went 22-14/8-8 the year before he arrived. Not acceptable for UK but far from the gutter. The football program was 2-10/0-8. It doesn’t even compare.

2. The programs in the SEC that pay their coaches less than Stoops are Florida, Mizzou, USC, Vandy, MSU, Arkansas, Auburn. Every other program pays their coach the same or more. For the SEC, I believe he’s compensated pretty fairly and always believe UK will have to overpay coaches in football.

3. Last night was inexcusable. UT last year was inexcusable.

4. Fans often talk about that if he can’t take that next step, he should get the boot. There is maybe 1 program in the past 25 years that “took the next step” to a consistent top 10-15 program that had little to no football history…Oregon. Maybe I’m missing others? The first step he has taken…top half of the conference, top 25 rankings on an annual basis…is the easiest. That next step into a top 10-15 program consistently is extremely hard. That’s why very few teams do it.
And failed to make the NCAA tournament. A lot of people around here thinks that's the gutter

I've kept track of stuff like this since Mumme was at UK. Not sure why, but have.

CMS is 37-9 (80%) out of conference so far and 23-1 over the last 24 OOC games.
CMS is 5-2 (71%) OOC against Top 25 including wins over U(smel)L twice, PSU, NC State and Iowa. Four bowl wins in last 6 seasons.
That means he is 32-7 against non Top 25 OOC opponents.

Against SEC teams:
34-51 overall and 30-31 since 2016. Overall, 8-22 against ranked SEC opponents and 0-7 against #1 ranked opponents (Bama 3x, Miss St, UGa 3x)
UK is 8-15 against SEC ranked teams (not #1) under CMS.

Vandy: 8-3
SCar: 7-3 (UK had lost 13 of 14 including a streak of 10 prior to CMS)
Mizzou: 7-3 with 7 of last 8
UF: 4-7 with 3 straight wins, after worst losing streak in CFB
Tenn: 2-8, after 2nd worst losing streak in CFB
UGa: 0-11 and UGa has been ranked #1 the last 3 meetings

Miss St: 4-6
Rest of SEC West: 2-10

Imagine that. A troll whose profile hasnt existed for 6 months showing up after a loss. So weird

I've kept track of stuff like this since Mumme was at UK. Not sure why, but have.

CMS is 37-9 (80%) out of conference so far and 23-1 over the last 24 OOC games.
CMS is 5-2 (71%) OOC against Top 25 including wins over U(smel)L twice, PSU, NC State and Iowa. Four bowl wins in last 6 seasons.
That means he is 32-7 against non Top 25 OOC opponents.

Against SEC teams:
34-51 overall and 30-31 since 2016. Overall, 8-22 against ranked SEC opponents and 0-7 against #1 ranked opponents (Bama 3x, Miss St, UGa 3x)
UK is 8-15 against SEC ranked teams (not #1) under CMS.

Vandy: 8-3
SCar: 7-3 (UK had lost 13 of 14 including a streak of 10 prior to CMS)
Mizzou: 7-3 with 7 of last 8
UF: 4-7 with 3 straight wins, after worst losing streak in CFB
Tenn: 2-8, after 2nd worst losing streak in CFB
UGa: 0-11 and UGa has been ranked #1 the last 3 meetings

Miss St: 4-6
Rest of SEC West: 2-10
There’s a lot of good and a lot of bad in those numbers. Thanks for putting those together.

The OOC record is good. He’s taken care of UL and that’s not nothing. The Tennessee and SEC West records are frustrating. Especially the Tennessee record.

As with most complex issues, there should be nuance:

-Last night sucked, and I think it's reasonable for the fanbase to expect more than losing like that to what had been a very mediocre Georgia team prior to last night.
-Georgia is the two time defending national champion and has talent stacked on top of talent.
-There are a LOT of programs in the SEC trying to get to the "next level" including a lot of historical powers such as UT, A&M, Arkansas, and Florida. It's not easy. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't TRY, but it's not a given and it is a tough club in which to break into.
-Stoops has owned Mizzou, Vandy, and South Carolina. he has evened the MSU series. This doesn't sound like much, but it was not the case before he was hired. As of late, he has owned U of L and Florida, two teams that the UK fanbase hates more than any other not named UT.
-Stoops deserves criticism for failing to beat UT more, especially with how bad they've been the last 10-12 years.
-SToops is recruiting at a very solid level, but it's still a level below the SEC cream of the crop. I'm not sure if that is changeable.

He makes $9MM a year, and deserves some pressure with that salary. But, I don't want to go back to the days of losing to Vandy and U of L and South Carolina every year. Be careful what you wish for.
Yeah that’s the thing with stoops. It’s not like he hasn’t accomplished anything. At the same time he also has competitive resources to do it with. And he’s changed the complexion of series’ against the East with it being a shell of its former self. Still a degree of accomplishment at UK but it’s not totally a ‘we overthrew them’ thing.

Georgia is at a higher level now but they were still 9/10 win teams before smart they are just nc elite now. But everyone else has taken a step back in the East.

This isn’t Spurrier at SC
Not Franklin at Vandy
Not Meyer’s UF teams
Pinkel brought Mizzou into the league on fire too but retired quickly after being diagnosed with cancer during his final season.
UT has meandered for a decade or more but we didn’t take great advantage of that one. My only point is he isn’t fist fighting the same East that existed before his arrival or even when he first got to UK when he was mad about Franklin running up the score on him. But new scheduling is pulling that scheduling advantage we’ve enjoyed within conference.

Shoot with Mullen at MSU they controlled us but his move to UF weakened both places.

Right!? UK used to be positioned alongside vandy and comfortably below USC and MSU. People have short memories.

We're now ahead of those programs, along with Florida and Arkansas.
Stoops deserves some halo effect for the two citrus bowls. Again I qualify by saying he’s a solid coach and deserves credit for many things but I don’t think it should be to the level of inventing the game. I think sometimes he ought to send Joker 100k of his salary for extra halo effect with some of the fan base because some only seem to remember the year before he came in because it was ridiculously bad. It’s like we’ve forgotten that we had been to bowl games 5 of the 6 prior years to him coming in and one season had 3 top 10 wins with a much better East to get through playing with rosters of 2 star type guys. Yes historically UK struggles but the only difference between he and brooks is the East is weaker and stoops has been given facilities and resources

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT