ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Locker Room

Jan 26, 2021
Checking out some of the Pope commitments and seeing the classic posing pictures…I can’t help but notice all the 2012 stuff still around. Up to and including that piece of floor…

I think I would like to see that stuff move on to the archives. It’s been a dozen years…not really even relevant anymore unless you’re JV Calipari.

Retire the banner, replace the floor, couple more spiffs to the Locker Room and let Mark Pope get out of that shadow as quickly as possible.

I disagree. This is our history and our heritage and every fan and player should be proud of it. Just because it was earned under a former coach, or it happened over a decade ago does not mean it's irrelevant. How many schools would kill to be able to display that swag to recruits?

I disagree. This is our history and our heritage and every fan and player should be proud of it. Just because it was earned under a former coach, or it happened over a decade ago does not mean it's irrelevant. How many schools would kill to be able to display that swag to recruits?
Agree. The whole “let’s wipe away all memory of JVC” is psycho.

Agree. The whole “let’s wipe away all memory of JVC” is psycho.
Well, CSB ... as usual I agree with the most substantive part of your position - that the stuff should stay in the locker room. But I disagree that I'm "psycho" because I find any reminder of CCC to be revolting. He didn't just embarrass us in recent years with the mediocre records and the losses to St. Peters and to Oakland. He besmirched the reputation of our beloved University of Kentucky basketball program. I think BBN's collective disaffinity for CCC is well within "normal." But, as you say ... I think the stuff should stay in the locker room.
For my own benefit, I'll try to get past my hard feelings against CCC ... but, respectfully ... it will take a while, and I don't feel the least bit "psycho" about it. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !

I did a locker room tour 3 years ago and seeing that was one of my favorite parts. Keep it until the next one.

I. Don't know if only 2012 but would like to see all championships covered with the last one featured.

Keep the markers of tradition, but redesign the whole look. I would think the athletic department has a team or at least some staff members for this type of thing. Coach should have some say in highlights and equipment, but styling a locker room doesn’t really need to be in his job duties.

Well, CSB ... as usual I agree with the most substantive part of your position - that the stuff should stay in the locker room. But I disagree that I'm "psycho" because I find any reminder of CCC to be revolting. He didn't just embarrass us in recent years with the mediocre records and the losses to St. Peters and to Oakland. He besmirched the reputation of our beloved University of Kentucky basketball program. I think BBN's collective disaffinity for CCC is well within "normal." But, as you say ... I think the stuff should stay in the locker room.
For my own benefit, I'll try to get past my hard feelings against CCC ... but, respectfully ... it will take a while, and I don't feel the least bit "psycho" about it. :cool:
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Yelling GIF - Yelling GIFs

Checking out some of the Pope commitments and seeing the classic posing pictures…I can’t help but notice all the 2012 stuff still around. Up to and including that piece of floor…

I think I would like to see that stuff move on to the archives. It’s been a dozen years…not really even relevant anymore unless you’re JV Calipari.

Retire the banner, replace the floor, couple more spiffs to the Locker Room and let Mark Pope get out of that shadow as quickly as possible.
Pope is too mature to even think that way.
If not, he'd better resign.

Nah. Get rid of it when we win another to replace it. Constant reminder of why your there.

Reactions: WebCatKy
That’s our championship not Calipari’s. He couldn’t even get one until he got here it had as much to do with us as it did him.

But the look is a bit disturbing and sends a signal. One of the things Calipari does at his programs is subtly arrange things to where only his accomplishments are visible. He markets himself not the program, the only time he pushes the program is to prop up what he needs to. If you go to the floor of Rupp the craft suite is literally the box and free throw line of the floor from the title game and it’s here the title trophy sits. Calipari literally has the halls littered with his players and his accomplishments. That definitely needs to change and it will.

There’s a reason many of our old heads can’t stand him and even the Horse was sitting at Kansas games. There’s a reason near 30K showed up to that press conference and our players were there. There’s a reason Pope said what he said. It was a signal directly to him that this program does NOT belong to you. It’s an abomination to this program what the guy was doing. Cal has the entire area set up as his own recognition department. This is Kentucky this is not Calipari U.

It all needs to be rearranged from how he has it set up, there’s no way around it. I just recently was there for Graduation and went all over Rupp, the entire facility is nothing but Calipari and his players with spurts of Joe Hall and a few others. When you see all of it in person you realize it is totally intentional and that’s why he never thought we’d move him out, that is clear after seeing it. This was his personal university and he designed it to be just that. No way he thought he was ever leaving here.

Arkansas can get ready because while we have the means and the power to overcome the perceptions he creates, they don’t. Few will want to follow his time at Arkansas and if he has the control he probably will, he’ll make sure they don’t breathe without him. Calipari did it at umass and Memphis, he wants programs to fail when he’s gone. He gets off on it and Arkansas doesn’t have the prestige to overcome it. They better watch out.

Last edited:

I don’t really think theres many people that believe Pope is in Cals shadow.

I don't know how I feel about it. The coaches can tell you this is the championship floor that guys like Anthony Davis and MKG played on. Then the recruits look at the year and think, that was 12 years ago and you haven't been that relevant since. I just visited all of these other schools and theirs was way more recent. How about just making it more about UK the overall program and not a single championship from over a decade ago?

Go 'Cats ! ! !
Cal is the Uncle at the Christmas party that has a story better than the last one told, who obviously has a bloated sense of self, no self awareness and at one time was a top notch executive. But the heavy hand of time has slowed his wits and outdated his once effective strategies.

BUT, he is not the creepy uncle that couldn't keep his hands off the young nieces. The prior is forgivable and parts can be celebrated but the latter would demand harsh consequences. He had a good run but became unbearable in the midst of the public eye but he's not a monster. I have no ill will toward him.

Go 'Cats ! ! !
As in Egypt with Moses, All the obelisk's with the name (Cal) Moses shall be stricken, so let it be written, so let it be done! Never wanted him to Coach UK and now that he is like that little fella from India (Gandhi), from the program I can strike the past 15 years from memory, I was in a coma, or Tacoma, something like that.

I don’t Calipari is very fond of Mitch (to put it lightly) .
That feeling might be mutual.
That's a mess that may take a few seasons to rectify.
But my point was I don't think Popes focus is on the former coach.
I just believe his vision is restoring this once proud tradition and making it the most relevant team in basketball.

That feeling might be mutual.
That's a mess that may take a few seasons to rectify.
But my point was I don't think Popes focus is on the former coach.
I just believe his vision is restoring this once proud tradition and making it the most relevant team in basketball.
Right . I misread what you were saying. And changed that post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT