ADVERTISEMENT

Running back concerns

Oct 15, 2015
If Benny gets hurt, could be rough going counting on King to stat healthy through the rest of the season. Would like to see some other guys get some snaps, gonna be difficult getting through the season with 2 backs. Having said that, would rather beat Florida than anybody else we play this year.....here's to ending that damn streak.

Totally agree I worry about Benny sustaining 30+ carries a game...I really wonder if staff just rode the horse they could trust with Benny at USC and possibly do the same vs. UF....but E. Michigan and Mizzou we'll work to establish Rose/Bowden/King more for the 2nd half of season when we'll need them?

UK is not alone if they lose their number one back. Just like our LB that went down, yes it hurts but we now have depth.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
I was jumping up and down for the staff to offer Morgan Ellison out of Pickering. He ended up going to IU where they already had 8 rbs. Hes leading them now.
Hes going to be an outstanding back before his career is up. With Boom leaving and Koback hurt and King never getting any snaps last season i thought it was very risky not offering a guy like him whom se could of easily of gotten on board. Not to mention his teammates being so talented and having an inside track on them.

Reactions: Stonewall12
If Benny gets hurt, could be rough going counting on King to stat healthy through the rest of the season. Would like to see some other guys get some snaps, gonna be difficult getting through the season with 2 backs. Having said that, would rather beat Florida than anybody else we play this year.....here's to ending that damn streak.
There are worse things. What if Smitty goes down?

Reactions: Wvvrn
I din not understand how we dont have higher ranked running backs looking at us! I mean damn we run the Heck out of the Ball. We could have 3, 4*-5* backs getting 10-15 carries a game plus staying fresh! If I am a running back I would take a hard look at UK. Is Rose and Koback just not that good? To only have Snell and King doing work load with Snell getting 85% of it. We need someone to step up cause Snell will be wore out here in a month!

Not necessarily thin just that Rose, No back haven't steped up yet. King has done pretty well so far, but I'd like to see him in the slot more. Truely missing the experience of Boom and JoJo

Someone needs to pull on their earlobes pop their head out of their rear end and step the F**k UP and help Snell and King out!!

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
It sounds like picking up blocking assignments is one of the main reasons we haven't seen Rose. He can learn those. Not sure about Koback other than wanting to RS him ideally.

Reactions: mikeinpikeville
Same thing he said about Snell last year before he got to play a snap in a real game. And we all know how that turned out. Here's hoping for a repeat with Kobak. Bennie has got to get some help on the tough yards or he will not make the season.

Things keep going like they are going, I would expect Kobak to be redshirted. We still haven't even seen Rose, so we are doing really well with our top 3....and that's not to mention that Bowden can take over some of the Wildcat duties.

I look for Snell to get the majority of the carries this week and over next two games work the other backs more and give him a break. We need him this week to tote the rock.

My hunch: Because for the touches he's had, he's lined up behind the OL & ran the ball.
I think you are correct. In the Wildcat, he is a running back.....or if he passes it, we could call him a QB......but at that point in time, he is anything but a receiver. I think it is best said that he will play receiver, running back (Wildcat), and surely eventually, quarterback (Wildcat), as he is much more adept at passing than Mr. Snell. Let's call him Multiple.

Depth isn't an issue, its quality production thats the issue. When you have a player as good as Benny Snell..its hard to replace that production. Having Snell and Boom last year was pretty rare for us (Little and Locke were the only thing close). Places like Bama/Georgia can have multiple backs that are good.

But as far as depth, im not too worried
Snell
King
Rose
Kobak
and even Bowden can play back.
add in that Johnson is mobile and we can do designed runs
Those guys are all SEC level athletes, not Benny Snell/Boom good top to bottom...but talented enough if the blocking is decent.

Reactions: kydan64
He means Koback will soon see playing time in our backfield.

If Kobak does not see playing time by game 6, it would not be wise to burn his redshirt after that point. Afterall, getting him experience is the entire reason for having him active, and the way it has gone, even King at #2 is not getting many snaps....and Rose is getting nothing.....so play Koback?? Barring an injury in your top three, I think not.

I think the mention of Koback is more of a "keep your head up, your time will come" kind of notice.

If Kobak does not see playing time by game 6, it would not be wise to burn his redshirt after that point. Afterall, getting him experience is the entire reason for having him active, and the way it has gone, even King at #2 is not getting many snaps....and Rose is getting nothing.....so play Koback?? Barring an injury in your top three, I think not.

I think the mention of Koback is more of a "keep your head up, your time will come" kind of notice.
I think the big tests for out backs will be against EMU and Mizzou when we won't use Snell like a workhorse unless we struggle (like EKU). If they can't get yardage in those weaker games, then Kobak may be needed.

Reactions: mikeinpikeville
Bowden is a receiver. Why is it so hard for our fans to understand Bowden isn't a running back? He doesn't even have the build of running back. The freshman running back to keep an eye on is Bryant Koback.
Dude he is listed as an athelete, and has a similar build as King and Boom. He could easily be a a deadly third down back if need be. I think Koback will be a stud someday, but Id say his major injury in highschool slowed down his progression quite a bit.

Dude he is listed as an athelete, and has a similar build as King and Boom. He could easily be a a deadly third down back if need be. I think Koback will be a stud someday, but Id say his major injury in highschool slowed down his progression quite a bit.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with having him as a 4th/5th string emergency option haha. Snell, King, and Rose should be enough. And if we are down on dept then I don't think it would be a question we'd have to use someone like Bowden

I think we're fine at RB. King needs more touches and used more in space (on the edges, draws or in short passing game) Gran said as much this week. Rose will get his. There is something there that have caused the coaches to not trust putting him in. They have done nothing but brag about his talent but Stoops actually said he needs to get to where he can trust him in big moments. Think they will get that worked out. and he'll be the 2/3 back we've thought he would be. And with Koback getting healthy that's 4 good backs.

Just think Gran has to do a better job of using them where they are effective. Like I say even Eddie knows he hasn't really done that to this point. I continue to be big believer that King is a much bigger weapon than most think if given the chance to use his elusiveness. That wont' happen off tackle. And the change of pace would help Bennie too just like it did last year with Boom back there.

Gran this week: "Bryant Koback is coming on strong.”

Anyone have a clue as to what Gran means?

Coach speak interpretations:

"He's doing some good things" means he is still making too many mistakes to put into a game that's still in doubt.

"He's coming on strong" means he passed someone else on the depth chart.

I am not going to be surprised if Koback gets more touches Saturday than King has seen in any game to this point... 2nd qtr and 4th qtr. King might exceed his high as well.

If Florida is as run vulnerable as UT made them look, we will need a full stable of backs to take the carries that could result. Rose seems to have some work to do yet, and I hope he takes care of business instead of pouting like Mikel Horton.

I am not going to be surprised if Koback gets more touches Saturday than King has seen in any game to this point... 2nd qtr and 4th qtr. King might exceed his high as well.

If Florida is as run vulnerable as UT made them look, we will need a full stable of backs to take the carries that could result. Rose seems to have some work to do yet, and I hope he takes care of business instead of pouting like Mikel Horton.

I'd be surprised if they throw Kobak into a highly anticipated game like UF for his first snaps of the season. The staff knows they can win this game, so I think they play it conservatively, until conservative doesn't work, then they'll open it up a bit with some new stuff we've not seen yet.

I'll be surprised if Rose gets any carries this week, but that wouldn't be a real shocker, just a surprise after not seeing him at all so far (me personally, but I think he has 2 or 3 carries?). Going to be a very interesting game.

I'd be surprised if they throw Kobak into a highly anticipated game like UF for his first snaps of the season. The staff knows they can win this game, so I think they play it conservatively, until conservative doesn't work, then they'll open it up a bit with some new stuff we've not seen yet.

I'll be surprised if Rose gets any carries this week, but that wouldn't be a real shocker, just a surprise after not seeing him at all so far (me personally, but I think he has 2 or 3 carries?). Going to be a very interesting game.
I follow you. I recognize what I suggest would be a bit of a gambit. I think they might, though. Just depends on a lot of things we can only guess at, I think.

If Koback is again the player that Urban was starting to show interest, and can be trusted on ball security and passing game assignments, I think he might just see a big role.

It's possible he does not see a carry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT