ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: Oregon, Washington, Clemson, FSU to Big 10

Probably is a little like LA in DC area. But in the south you have people in the fall watching friday night, saturday and sunday. All the south is that way. Really Florida is a lot more like the north than south. Many transplants. SO not sure about the Florida market.
Yeah, not sure but the Carolina markets seem to be prototypical southern markets and probably conform to the “football all weekend long” southern tradition.

That might make them more attractive.

And you can get that entire area with just one or two additions (UNC and/or NCSU).

I wonder how many eyeballs you get from UVA or VT in the DC area on a Saturday?

As long as we get UNC, Virginia, VA Tech and IDK the last one for the SEC. Maybe Oklahoma State.🤷‍♂️ you think SEC would even think about UL? Just a question? Duke? I don't know. Wake Forest.

Makes no sense Clemson and FSU don’t go sec. Their rivals are in the conference and they would be good fit.
We don’t need more good football programs joining the SEC. UK has it tough enough on the gridiron. Heck we have UT and OU coming aboard.

Bring on the round ball schools.

Reactions: entropy13
As long as we get UNC, Virginia, VA Tech and IDK the last one for the SEC. Maybe Oklahoma State.🤷‍♂️ you think SEC would even think about UL? Just a question? Duke? I don't know. Wake Forest.
Doubt Wake or Duke, Maybe NC State? UofL I really doubt. OK state do not gain anything really. Kansas maybe if you want to go that direction. UNC or NC State / Virginia or VA Tech a combo of 1 of each state and then you have to come up with the other 2. I hate Miami but they make the most sense from the state of Florida, Notre Dame makes no sense geographically but makes a lot of sense for market and brand, Kansas makes sense for Mizzou, OKlahoma and Texas / Texas AM.

Doubt Wake or Duke, Maybe NC State? UofL I really doubt. OK state do not gain anything really. Kansas maybe if you want to go that direction. UNC or NC State / Virginia or VA Tech a combo of 1 of each state and then you have to come up with the other 2. I hate Miami but they make the most sense from the state of Florida, Notre Dame makes no sense geographically but makes a lot of sense for market and brand, Kansas makes sense for Mizzou, OKlahoma and Texas / Texas AM.
Ya. Seems like there are a few options. ACC contract is probably the only reason another move hasn't happened. Although Florida State to the Big Ten. How is that. Just a verbal commitment at this point.

We don’t need more good football programs joining the SEC. UK has it tough enough on the gridiron. Heck we have UT and OU coming aboard.

Bring on the round ball schools.
I agree. I know we would never do it, but I would love adding Duke and UNC. That would make the SEC the premier conference in both basketball and football.

• Love
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
Ya. Seems like there are a few options. ACC contract is probably the only reason another move hasn't happened. Although Florida State to the Big Ten. How is that. Just a verbal commitment at this point.
Not sure about the FSU commitment and how it works. Have been on acc boards and there are 7 schools ready to leave ACC now. If they get the 8th school evidently the rights is over and they can leave. So maybe FSU regents and such know something we do not know? Personally I would like to have UNC / Virginia / VA Tech / Kansas enter the SEC. Would help with football (Va Tech and UNC) and basketball (all 4). We need a couple other lower teams in the SEC football in new markets and Kansas and Virginia do that well. Then UNC market would be great. If we need another Florida school then i think Miami is the likely choice. Would love to see UNC football team head to Commonwealth Stadium on a Saturday in the near future, same with VA Tech. Heck would love the new rivalry of Kansas fan base with ours in football (lol). Virginia is just a natural rival (since we broke off from Virginia) as a state. So the ability to have a north division, south division, east and west division would be awesome. 5 games against division teams and 4 against other sec schools rotating. You could have a schedule for UK of: Kansas / Mizzou / Va Tech and Virginia and UNC or Tennessee as division and then play Texas / LSU / Florida and Ole Miss. That would be a powerful schedule and some great home and home games.

I have posted this idea before and it is just that, a idea. But, if the SEC really wants to add eyeballs then the conference should consider Pittsburgh. The market boasts a huge, rabid football fanbase. Albeit mostly a NFL crowd, I suspect a LOT of eyes would watch Pitt playing in the SEC.
Plus, it would give the SEC a foot hold in B1G country. Right square in the heart of it in fact.
Of course it won't ever happen and there is no support for it but, it makes sense from a purely financial point of view.
UNC, Virginia Tech, NC State (or Miami, FL) and Pitt would vastly expand the SEC market share.

FYI, adding Kansas to the SEC is a lot less likely than adding Pitt. Kansas brings nothing in the way of football interest.

One could make the argument that the SEC should be focused on adding the biggest brand names football schools possible to create matchups that would draw big ratings from a national audience perspective rather than focusing on inidividual markets. Would Georgia vs Florida State draw a bigger national audience than Georgia vs Virginia? Perhaps not in the DC market specifically, but from a national audience perspective I assume it would.

With that in mind, if I were the SEC I would add FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC. I could potentially be talked into replacing either FSU or Miami (probably Miami because of their tepid fanbase) with Duke to keep UNC and Duke paired together and help Kentucky drive the basketball ratings.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and maybe the networks care more about being able to sell ads in specific large markets rather than just getting the largest viewing audience possible.

Reactions: bbncal02
One could make the argument that the SEC should be focused on adding the biggest brand names football schools possible to create matchups that would draw big ratings from a national audience perspective rather than focusing on inidividual markets. Would Georgia vs Florida State draw a bigger national audience than Georgia vs Virginia? Perhaps not in the DC market specifically, but from a national audience perspective I assume it would.

With that in mind, if I were the SEC I would add FSU, Clemson, Miami, and UNC. I could potentially be talked into replacing either FSU or Miami (probably Miami because of their tepid fanbase) with Duke to keep UNC and Duke paired together and help Kentucky drive the basketball ratings.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and maybe the networks care more about being able to sell ads in specific large markets rather than just getting the largest viewing audience possible.
Duke should welcome being in a conference with us and UNC. It would strengthen that conference immediately.

However, poor Duke in SEC football? Woof. Same for UNC. I mean UNC can be ok at football, but in the SEC they would get KILLED.

I have posted this idea before and it is just that, a idea. But, if the SEC really wants to add eyeballs then the conference should consider Pittsburgh. The market boasts a huge, rabid football fanbase. Albeit mostly a NFL crowd, I suspect a LOT of eyes would watch Pitt playing in the SEC.
Plus, it would give the SEC a foot hold in B1G country. Right square in the heart of it in fact.
Of course it won't ever happen and there is no support for it but, it makes sense from a purely financial point of view.
UNC, Virginia Tech, NC State (or Miami, FL) and Pitt would vastly expand the SEC market share.

FYI, adding Kansas to the SEC is a lot less likely than adding Pitt. Kansas brings nothing in the way of football interest.
I agree with that but like you said Pitt will not most likely happen. The Kansas thing is more eyes in the Kansas City Market area. Would not help for football but would give another Vanderbilt type of football program, could win 5 or so games every 4 to 6 years. It does help with recruiting footprint and tv market and it makes geographic sense for some of the big 12 we have picked up. Plus would not hurt our basketball stuff if we got Kansas and UNC in the SEC.

I agree with that but like you said Pitt will not most likely happen. The Kansas thing is more eyes in the Kansas City Market area. Would not help for football but would give another Vanderbilt type of football program, could win 5 or so games every 4 to 6 years. It does help with recruiting footprint and tv market and it makes geographic sense for some of the big 12 we have picked up. Plus would not hurt our basketball stuff if we got Kansas and UNC in the SEC.
F no to Kansas. No way in hell would they get an invite to the SEC. Lol. Not happening.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Duke should welcome being in a conference with us and UNC. It would strengthen that conference immediately.

However, poor Duke in SEC football? Woof. Same for UNC. I mean UNC can be ok at football, but in the SEC they would get KILLED.
They’ve been fairly decent in the past several years. They even beat Tennessee in the music city bowl at least in the last decade I believe

Rumors B10 now looking at Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford.
Makes since. Need to add more west coast teams so USC and UCLA can have some relief in travel and time zone issues. An east and west division that covers a good part of the country. I know they are no SEC. 1 title in 20 years In All major sports. WTF but they have managed this thing properly. The only way is to be out in the front. They aren't going anywhere now. Solid product.

Cal & Stanford had to be a joke. They care more about academics than athletics.
Well, the Big 10 has always been the major that claims to care more about academics than the other majors. Adding those two would bolster that position. And it would give the Big 10 complete control over ALL of the West Coast's major TV markets ...which is a damn nice money incentive.

If USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford all join, we'll have essentially just seen a merger of the Big 10 and Pac 12 ...but with only the most desirable half of the Pac being allowed to join the merger and the other half being left out in the cold.

Reactions: SosaUK1987
We are 10-15 years away from the Big10 or SEC splintering in half. They are getting too big and eventually the top schools wont want to share with the bottom schools.

We are 10-15 years away from the Big10 or SEC splintering in half. They are getting too big and eventually the top schools wont want to share with the bottom schools.
Or we could be 10-15 years away from the Big 10 and SEC joining together to break away from the NCAA entirely and forming their own whole new thing.

The money and power difference between those two and everyone else is likely to grow so vast in the coming years that they're bound to start wondering why they should still be subject to the same governing organization as all those lesser conferences.

Reactions: sjjones
Conference expansion is being driven entirely by football revenue via TV contracts. Adding Kansas wouldn't be much (if any) better than adding UofL in terms of eyeballs. Seriously doubt it would ever be considered.

Do you think the SEC will stop at 16 / 20 / 24 / 28 / 32 teams? I think the Big 10 would take as many as possible but do not think SEC ever goes over 24 and most likely stops at 20.

Do you think the SEC will stop at 16 / 20 / 24 / 28 / 32 teams? I think the Big 10 would take as many as possible but do not think SEC ever goes over 24 and most likely stops at 20.
I would probably stick with 16, if I’m in charge.

Might add Carolina markets and DC/Virginia markets, so maybe 20.

If the SEC totally gets away from being “southern” then maybe try to get into some other markets, but in terms of “branding” I think the SEC needs to be careful where they expand. Right now, the conference is still culturally pretty cohesive. Start adding programs that are not culturally southern, and I think the SEC starts losing their identity.

Hard to promote “Saturday in the South” as being special when you have programs in Pittsburgh or in California.

I would probably stick with 16, if I’m in charge.

Might add Carolina markets and DC/Virginia markets, so maybe 20.

If the SEC totally gets away from being “southern” then maybe try to get into some other markets, but in terms of “branding” I think the SEC needs to be careful where they expand. Right now, the conference is still culturally pretty cohesive. Start adding programs that are not culturally southern, and I think the SEC starts losing their identity.

Hard to promote “Saturday in the South” as being special when you have programs in Pittsburgh or in California.

Are Missouri and Oklahoma southern? They always seemed more like midwestern states to me. And Texas is kinda viewed as its own separate distinct region.

So the SEC has already ditched the southern thing to some extent, and cultural geography doesn't seem to matter much anymore. In fact, quite the opposite, this realignment game seems to be about expanding your geographic base to bring in new TV markets outside your current territory,

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
Are Missouri and Oklahoma southern? They always seemed more like midwestern states to me. And Texas is kinda viewed as its own separate distinct region.

So the SEC has already ditched the southern thing to some extent, and cultural geography doesn't seem to matter much anymore. In fact, quite the opposite, this realignment game seems to be about expanding your geographic base to bring in new TV markets outside your current territory,
Texas was a “southern state” during the Civil War. Missouri was a border state like Kentucky and a slave state before the war. Oklahoma is more southern geographically speaking than Kentucky. Culturally, Oklahoma is still a very rural state, so they share qualities with the South.

So, I don’t think the SEC has totally abandoned being “southern” yet. They have really stretched the definition of “southern” though.

Reactions: UK90
The SEC most likely will add as many as needed to match the market share the B1G is seeking to encompass. It comes down to how attractive the conference can be in a potential TV contract negotiation. Example; if the B1G claims they can deliver as many as 40 million eyeballs on game day and the SEC can only manage 25 million, obviously the B1G would get the fatter contract.

However, it is a fine line. You don't want to put a mediocre product in front of all those people. Till now the SEC has offered a far superior product. But, the gap is narrowing. Ideally, the SEC would want to continue to offer great competition, personalities and talent while leveraging the biggest contract possible, for the fewest number of conference member schools.

But, networks like potentially BIG audiences so, which strategy is best? Obviously the B1G has embraced the "more is better" strategy in terms of sheer numbers, to leverage more money out of TV networks. The SEC seems to be content to sit back and watch for the time being. But, I have to believe Sankey has a plan, or is formulating one. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the SEC absorbed nearly half of the ACC.

The SEC most likely will add as many as needed to match the market share the B1G is seeking to encompass. It comes down to how attractive the conference can be in a potential TV contract negotiation. Example; if the B1G claims they can deliver as many as 40 million eyeballs on game day and the SEC can only manage 25 million, obviously the B1G would get the fatter contract.

However, it is a fine line. You don't want to put a mediocre product in front of all those people. Till now the SEC has offered a far superior product. But, the gap is narrowing. Ideally, the SEC would want to continue to offer great competition, personalities and talent while leveraging the biggest contract possible, for the fewest number of conference member schools.

But, networks like potentially BIG audiences so, which strategy is best? Obviously the B1G has embraced the "more is better" strategy in terms of sheer numbers, to leverage more money out of TV networks. The SEC seems to be content to sit back and watch for the time being. But, I have to believe Sankey has a plan, or is formulating one. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the SEC absorbed nearly half of the ACC.
I agree with all that. My question was less tech and just a simple guess of where does this all stop.

USA (SEC) i say 20 to 24 vs the USSR (Big10) in this cold war arms race. I say Big10 goes to 32 teams.

I would wait and see what happens with the Big Ten (or is it the Big Twenty now?) if I’m the SEC. See if the “more is better” strategy works or not.

I say Big10 goes to 32 teams.
It will never ever get nearly that high. They ain't gonna add members just for the sake of it. Only schools that mean a significant net gain to the payout to each member will be considered. And that's a minimum qualification requirement.

There's only a limited number of candidates left that meet that criteria.

It will never ever get nearly that high. They ain't gonna add members just for the sake of it. Only schools that mean a significant net gain to the payout to each member will be considered. And that's a minimum qualification requirement.

There's only a limited number of candidates left that meet that criteria.
Plus you still have to have the “have nots” to beat up on. Not everyone can have a winning record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT