ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: Oregon, Washington, Clemson, FSU to Big 10

Good move for Big whatever and the schools involved . Has some lawyer figured a way out of the grant of rights?
if true will make the ACC irrelevant.

Could mean Miami, UNC, NC State and Virginia (or Va Tech) get absorbed into the SEC.
I noticed no mention of Notre Dame. Those idiots are going to remain stubborn about being unaligned until it destroys the program. Good enuff for them.
Maybe UofL, Georgia Tech and Boston College can start a new conference. The Big Nobody Wants Us.

Seems like we’re eventually headed toward a world where only two conferences (the SEC and Big 10) will control big time college sports, and everyone else is fighting for table scraps. The other three majors can’t keep up because …no matter how hard they try to regroup … they know any and all of their members would jump to the big two in a heartbeat.

And even though UK is in the lucky club, I don’t like this trend. The whole basis upon which we once developed conference loyalties seems out the window now. I liked it better the old way.

The PAC whatever is toast.

And the ACC isn’t much better off.

The Big 12 has surprised me with their resilience. I thought they were done when Texas and OU bolted.

Still, the SEC and Big Ten are the top dogs.

I have said it before, the SEC needs to break free of the NCAA and do their own thing. They are self-sufficient.

They should play 12 conference games in football and then have a four team playoff and crown a champion.

In basketball, play everyone home and home for a 30 team season. Then have the SEC tourney and call that the champion.

Or even better, broker a deal with the Big 10 to play the SEC champs for the “national championship.”

In football, the NCAA champion would be irrelevant compared to that.

The PAC whatever is toast.

And the ACC isn’t much better off.

The Big 12 has surprised me with their resilience. I thought they were done when Texas and OU bolted.

Still, the SEC and Big Ten are the top dogs.

I have said it before, the SEC needs to break free of the NCAA and do their own thing. They are self-sufficient.

They should play 12 conference games in football and then have a four team playoff and crown a champion.

In basketball, play everyone home and home for a 30 team season. Then have the SEC tourney and call that the champion.

Or even better, broker a deal with the Big 10 to play the SEC champs for the “national championship.”

In football, the NCAA champion would be irrelevant compared to that.
Of the last 20 NCAAM national champions, only 3 have been from the SEC and none from the big ten. Why would the SEC/Big ten winners automatically play for the title? Or are you saying Duke, unc, Kansas, Uconn, and several other teams join either the SEC or Big 10 and then do it that way?

Of the last 20 NCAAM national champions, only 3 have been from the SEC and none from the big ten. Why would the SEC/Big ten winners automatically play for the title? Or are you saying Duke, unc, Kansas, Uconn, and several other teams join either the SEC or Big 10 and then do it that way?
I’m talking football mainly. Basketball is almost irrelevant at this point as we talk expansion.

The SEC and ACC aren’t adding teams because they are basketball powers.

This is about dollars, so that means it’s all about football.

So I’m talking a SEC/Big Ten football championship. That would put anything the NCAA could muster to shame on the grid iron.

They can do basketball the same way, but it won’t garner much attention.

I hope North Carolina at Chapel Hill goes to the academic superior B1G. They deserve each other.

Miami, NC or NC State, Virginia or Virginia Tech and Houston would be good for TV Market. Do not see Houston in SEC. Maybe move Kansas to SEC for TV market area?

Miami would make sense for TV Market, Virginia for TV Market, UNC or NC State for TV Market the 4th could be almost anyone (would rather stay in the South East / South Central part of the country.

Houston and Washington DC along with North Carolina Markets are some of the largest in USA.

Makes no sense Clemson and FSU don’t go sec. Their rivals are in the conference and they would be good fit.
FSU especially. They are a blue blood FB program (or used to be) and would hugely benefit from being in a strong football conference like the SEC

FSU especially. They are a blue blood FB program (or used to be) and would hugely benefit from being in a strong football conference like the SEC
I think the big thing is FSU brings no added TV Market. Same market as Florida. Same for Clemson. Would be like bringing Louisville to SEC. What market does the SEC gain there? It is all about footprint and media market to get the $$$.

I cannot imagine Clemson and FSU being able to leave the ACC and the Big 10 not taking Virginia and UNC over them.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I think the big thing is FSU brings no added TV Market. Same market as Florida. Same for Clemson. Would be like bringing Louisville to SEC. What market does the SEC gain there? It is all about footprint and media market to get the $$$.
That's sadly true. They do have a strong fan base though, I think the SEC could benefit from it.

If FSU ever got back on it's feet along with UF, can you imagine that brawl being a top tier matchup for say the SEC East? That would be a fun game to watch for a football fan.....sigh....a man can dream.

That's sadly true. They do have a strong fan base though, I think the SEC could benefit from it.

If FSU ever got back on it's feet along with UF, can you imagine that brawl being a top tier matchup for say the SEC East? That would be a fun game to watch for a football fan.....sigh....a man can dream.
Don’t look now but it’s Florida who needs to pick up the pace.
The Seminoles are on track to have a good season (10 wins) while the Gators are gonna struggle to finish with 7

Makes no sense Clemson and FSU don’t go sec. Their rivals are in the conference and they would be good fit.
Who says they were invited? Throughout the long history of the SEC, Clemson and FSU have had numerous invitations to join. They always said no, and that is part of why there is an ACC. At this time, I do not believe Clemson or FSU will ever be welcome in the SEC again. There is the history of past refusals and also territorial overlap (FSU and Florida; Clemson, Georgia, and South Carolina).

What it says to me is the Big 10 will do anything to break the stranglehold the SEC has on football. Adding Penn State made sense. Nebraska? Okay, it's next to Iowa. Maryland and Rutgers added nothing. But when they added USC and UCLA all geographical pretense was out the window. Now it's just "gobble up every good to great football program before the SEC gets them".

What it says to me is the Big 10 will do anything to break the stranglehold the SEC has on football. Adding Penn State made sense. Nebraska? Okay, it's next to Iowa. Maryland and Rutgers added nothing. But when they added USC and UCLA all geographical pretense was out the window. Now it's just "gobble up every good to great football program before the SEC gets them".
I was gonna say they get the West Coast market, but they just got that. I guess it spreads it out to a couple more states though. It’s an arms race so who can blame them. The SEC will add more too.

Don’t look now but it’s Florida who needs to pick up the pace.
The Seminoles are on track to have a good season (10 wins) while the Gators are gonna struggle to finish with 7
Doesn’t hurt my feelings to see the Gators struggle. State went thru a bad period themselves.

Nebraska should be begging the Big 12 to let them come home.

I know its less money, but with Texas & Oklahoma gone .... maybe they could compete again? Big10 is running over them like a mack truck.

Nebraska should be begging the Big 12 to let them come home.

I know it’s less money, but with Texas & Oklahoma gone .... maybe they could compete again? Big10 is running over them like a mack truck.
There would be no need to beg, the B12 would love to have them back.

But that ain’t ever gonna happen. They may have fans thinking that way, but I’m certain the school does not. The SEC and Big Ten are where the big money is, and the folks in charge will always choose big money over wins.

Miami, NC or NC State, Virginia or Virginia Tech and Houston would be good for TV Market. Do not see Houston in SEC. Maybe move Kansas to SEC for TV market area?

Miami would make sense for TV Market, Virginia for TV Market, UNC or NC State for TV Market the 4th could be almost anyone (would rather stay in the South East / South Central part of the country.

Houston and Washington DC along with North Carolina Markets are some of the largest in USA.
SEC already has the Miami(UF) and Houston(Texas/A&M) markets covered.

The Carolina markets are probably top priority.

SEC already has the Miami(UF) and Houston(Texas/A&M) markets covered.

The Carolina markets are probably top priority.
Dont know many Florida fans in Miami. Those guys down there are UCF and Miami fans. Would expand the florida market compared to FSU and the current market. I would think DC area would be one of the top priorities as well (Virginia) as it is a top 8 Market in the US.

we are quickly moving towards 2 -3 super conferences and then the also rans
If true, I'm done with collegiate sports. When it was the about the student "athletes" and school's traditions it was awesome. This just reeks (more) of G R E E D.

Dont know many Florida fans in Miami. Those guys down there are UCF and Miami fans. Would expand the florida market compared to FSU and the current market. I would think DC area would be one of the top priorities as well (Virginia) as it is a top 8 Market in the US.
I wonder how much the NFL affects markets?

DC and Miami are really tied to their NFL teams.

Do they get enough eyeballs on Saturday to matter?

I always hear people say Miami and DC are more pro towns than college towns.

The same is said for LA and NYC. Huge markets for the pros, but care very little about college sports.

I seriously don’t know how that works?

I wonder how much the NFL affects markets?

DC and Miami are really tied to their NFL teams.

Do they get enough eyeballs on Saturday to matter?

I always hear people say Miami and DC are more pro towns than college towns.

The same is said for LA and NYC. Huge markets for the pros, but care very little about college sports.

I seriously don’t know how that works?
Probably is a little like LA in DC area. But in the south you have people in the fall watching friday night, saturday and sunday. All the south is that way. Really Florida is a lot more like the north than south. Many transplants. SO not sure about the Florida market.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT