ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor on TOS; Adidas putting together a 3 million dollar Package for RB recruit

Now, granted they'll be young, but it looks like they are on their way as well.

That seems to be how it's starting to play out. They are hard after a kid from Georgia UGA is recruiting and will be a miss if he signs elsewhere. They feel he all but a fine dea,, but kid is headed to Miami this weekend. So pretty good chance we going to miss on him.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
What's staggering is that after the FBI investigation into basketball and the stain Adidas and U of L carry from it, they are both ready to dance with the devil on the Inducement question early in the NIL era. They are probably getting assurances from that idiot in the state AG office that he'll run interference for them.

Locker room will be a shit show if you have a single player getting that kind of cheddar to "make the dream work."
Believe me the 3 mil number is wrong and UL has several players with lucrative NIL deals. They hired a Columbia University lawyer that works for Roc nation to help handle NIL affairs. You better believe this is why they are getting this attention from the bluebloods. It's a different game now. Don't miss the bus.

Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
Believe me the 3 mil number is wrong and UL has several players with lucrative NIL deals. They hired a Columbia University lawyer that works for Roc nation to help handle NIL affairs. You better believe this is why they are getting this attention from the bluebloods. It's a different game now. Don't miss the bus.
And don’t you miss that bus that’s going to roll over your team when you come to Kroger Field.
In case you missed it, you still have Satterthorpe as your coach.

Reactions: delk4three
Sounds like BS honestly. At least the 3M number. Adidas doesn’t have many good football schools but they have better ones than UofL.
This is an interesting point. Looking through the list, Adidas does have better football schools than Louisville. But at the same time, Louisville is Adidas’ biggest dollar deal by far, and I think it’s the first or second biggest college apparel deal in the country. So with that much invested, maybe they are trying to payroll their way to the top of college football. Question still remains though, why does Louisville command a deal that big?

Reactions: sefus12
Where this is going to become a problem is when these athletes start commanding more than the coaches are paid. That will put these coaches in some precarious situations, especially when they have whoever is footing these bills pressuring the coaches to put the guys on the field and showcase them. It's going to compromise the game. It will be more prevalent in Football because these players have to be there for three years. In Basketball they have a multitude of options. I think that's likely to be Barnhart's biggest issue with it all, that they don't want The coaches being undermined due to some kids outrageous NIL deal. So there has to be a happy medium somewhere. All I know is we can't let the likes of Louisville build themselves into national prominence while we sit idly by.

Louisville has billboards announcing these Kids commitments, isn't that some sort of NCAA violation? Are the schools allowed to do that sort of thing now or are they done by some outside party not affilliated with the university?

Reactions: delk4three

Let's not go Jimbo now. Satterfield has shown he isn't a top recruiter or game day coach and suddenly he starts pulling kids elite programs are after, of course he was over p.aid to go there, nothing about Louisville says elite. What Louisville needs to hope is ATM doesn't decide he is their back, because Adidas can't outbid ATM

Where this is going to become a problem is when these athletes start commanding more than the coaches are paid. That will put these coaches in some precarious situations, especially when they have whoever is footing these bills pressuring the coaches to put the guys on the field and showcase them. It's going to compromise the game. It will be more prevalent in Football because these players have to be there for three years. In Basketball they have a multitude of options. I think that's likely to be Barnhart's biggest issue with it all, that they don't want The coaches being undermined due to some kids outrageous NIL deal. So there has to be a happy medium somewhere. All I know is we can't let the likes of Louisville build themselves into national prominence while we sit idly by.

Louisville has billboards announcing these Kids commitments, isn't that some sort of NCAA violation? Are the schools allowed to do that sort of thing now or are they done by some outside party not affilliated with the university?

I'd say that already happened given this deal.

Imo where the real problem will start, and when the market will quickly correct, is when these kids get the money but sign elsewhere. The NCAA was very clear these payments are non recourse. So if a kid signs elsewhere, gets hurt, or just sucks in general - the money cannot be recouped.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to pay a kid major money before he signs. So I don't see that really happening. So the correction will have to be related to performance/health.

We all know high major recruits are more likely to work out than not. Also these kids can get hurt in spring practice and never see the field. A few major investment losses and nil market will correct in a major hurry. Only then will nil be in a good spot.

This is an interesting point. Looking through the list, Adidas does have better football schools than Louisville. But at the same time, Louisville is Adidas’ biggest dollar deal by far, and I think it’s the first or second biggest college apparel deal in the country. So with that much invested, maybe they are trying to payroll their way to the top of college football. Question still remains though, why does Louisville command a deal that big?
Adidas sees the Louisville market, not just the university.

Reactions: UofLforLife85
Adidas sees the Louisville market, not just the university.

Lol come on. I love the city of Louisville but this is nonsense. 1) it's a 50/50 split fanbase and 2) adidas already had max market penetration there. The 50% that were UL fans were all in on Adidas for a long time.

The move imo is to try to catapult an Adidas football school into national spotlight so someone can argue the money on brand awareness was justified.

Louisville is the largest media market without a major league sports franchise. (It’s criminal actually that we don’t have one..larger market than Buffalo, with two major league teams, and Memphis). They‘ve ran the numbers. It’s pretty obvious what’s going on. They think there is money to be made.

Why isn’t NIKE doing the same thing for UK in Louisville?

Louisville is the largest media market without a major league sports franchise. (It’s criminal actually that we don’t have one..larger market than Buffalo, with two major league teams, and Memphis). They‘ve ran the numbers. It’s pretty obvious what’s going on. They think there is money to be made.

Just repeating that doesn't make it true by any stretch.

Who knows what anyone is trying to do for UK because our ad is blocking it all

• Haha

That would make sense if they were getting behind a pro team, the whole city/state would support that team. But Louisville is not 100% UL fans. A big chunk are UK fans and the vast majority of the state are UK fans. Adidas pumping a bunch of money into recruits for them isn’t going to change that.

That would make sense if they were getting behind a pro team, the whole city/state would support that team. But Louisville is not 100% UL fans. A big chunk are UK fans and the vast majority of the state are UK fans. Adidas pumping a bunch of money into recruits for them isn’t going to change that.
Adidas evidently thinks it’s worth the investment.

Who knows what anyone is trying to do for UK because our ad is blocking it all
How?

I think either he or the NCAA blocking it would now be at least grounds for civil liability.

He’s taken a ho-him approach at best, but did not block Wandale’s lucrative insurance deal, Ty Ty’s Fazoli’s deal, or the one where the basketball player got a car.

Just because you keep saying that doesn’t make it true. It’s not a 50/50 split and never has been. Also outside of Louisville the state of Kentucky is one of the poorest states in the country. If Louisville dollars aren’t flowing then the state is even worse off. That is a fact.

How?

I think either he or the NCAA blocking it would now be at least grounds for civil liability.

He’s taken a ho-him approach at best, but did not block Wandale’s lucrative insurance deal, Ty Ty’s Fazoli’s deal, or the one where the basketball player got a car.

He's blocking anything creative (ie collectives etc). Those deals you mentioned are straightforward. Just listen to the interviews. They speak volumes.

Louisville has positioned itself very well with the NIL collective. It seems counterintuitive but the Adidas situation probably helps Louisville in a way that Nike probably doesn't help UK's football program...whatever Adidas money there would be is dispensed across significantly less programs with A&M, Washington, Miami, FL, and Nebraska probably being the most prominent. You are competing with the entirety of the SEC and the Big Ten given your traditional recruiting geographical footprint...the VAST majority of which are Nike schools. It seems you guys invariably run into Michigan State in head-to-heads in Greater Detroit and Ohio under Mel Tucker when he hunts outside the Transfer Portal. I don't know what other sources there are for NIL as it applies to corporate heavy hitters, but would guess if there were the people groveling for money on the Academic side of the University are probably incensed about it.

The single biggest game changer Louisville has on it's behalf looks like it's Steve Clarkson and I didn't have a firm grasp on him until coming across a 60 Minutes piece from a decade ago. The only parallel I can draw is he'd be a parallel to WWW without the NBA connections if there were a high school football version of EYBL in Southern California. His impact on the West Coast on QB training and it's impact on the 7v7 camp circuit is a huge influence. When it comes to a straight referral source to Louisville's staff for talent on the West Coast, especially QB's coach Pete Thomas there doesn't look like there's anyone else quite like him. I remember a lot of objection in the late 90s to some on the WVLK Sunday Morning talk show circuit to Bob Redman being a host of some shows in Louisville when Chris was QB at UofL as some sort of recruiting advantage since Montrell Jones and Bush were on the horizon. That crowd if it still exists will LOVE Clarkson.

Whether Owens ultimately signs with Louisville or ends up at Texas playing with Arch Manning after all...for about 48 hours it sure raised a lot of eyebrows with the recruiting honks.

Pierce Clarkson's dad is a top exec at Adidas. And that's the main component going on there. I don't know if they just lucked into that or what, but that connection has extra value than just normal NIL. I believe he is steering Adidas to Louisville, more than they normally would because of his son. And that dynamic is going to be hard for UK to duplicate.

But it's going to be hard for Louisville to duplicate as well. They might have a pretty good class next year if these guys stick, maybe their best ever. But will they be able to keep that going? Very doubtful. Because like I said, the advantage they have in Clarkson's father most likely has a shelf life.

What's staggering is that after the FBI investigation into basketball and the stain Adidas and U of L carry from it, they are both ready to dance with the devil on the Inducement question early in the NIL era. They are probably getting assurances from that idiot in the state AG office that he'll run interference for them.
You should watch the HBO doc The Scheme. The movie is about that FBI scandal which was basically entrapment. Pretty eye opening.

FBI pushed them to break the law when it wasn't what they were doing (NCAA rules aren't laws). They wanted coaches to be paid so they could make a case of bribing a state employee. Gave Dawkins the money to do it and it was really the only way he was getting guys to begin with (the government's money, er our money). The main undercover cop on this case was found to be misusing funds to the tune of like $300K if I'm not mistaken.

Pierce Clarkson's dad is a top exec at Adidas. And that's the main component going on there. I don't know if they just lucked into that or what, but that connection has extra value than just normal NIL. I believe he is steering Adidas to Louisville, more than they normally would because of his son. And that dynamic is going to be hard for UK to duplicate.

But it's going to be hard for Louisville to duplicate as well. They might have a pretty good class next year if these guys stick, maybe their best ever. But will they be able to keep that going? Very doubtful. Because like I said, the advantage they have in Clarkson's father most likely has a shelf life.
You have to start somewhere. UK didn’t hit on a winning formula overnight.

Who cares about UL? They are a yearly beat down for us at this point. Let them buy a few players who cares

My thought is that Adidas feels it can prop ul up to be a national team, based on the weakness of the acc.

They would be wasting nil dollars on their schools in the SEC or big ten, etc.

Just because you keep saying that doesn’t make it true. It’s not a 50/50 split and never has been. Also outside of Louisville the state of Kentucky is one of the poorest states in the country. If Louisville dollars aren’t flowing then the state is even worse off. That is a fact.
LOL.... OK 55/45.... how is that for ya BirdBrain.
and talk about poor?..... the neighborhood around UL is not exactly nice to view.

Reactions: hmt5000
I'd say it's more like 60/40, but you're right it's kind of a dump around UL. A lot nicer than it used to be, but still pretty trashy and industrial.

I'd say it's more like 60/40, but you're right it's kind of a dump around UL. A lot nicer than it used to be, but still pretty trashy and industrial.
That is not true unless you’re referring to Crittendon Drive which is industrial but not “trashy.” North of campus is Old Louisville, which is pretty cool and then the downtown business district. If you head south of campus, you’re around Churchill Downs, very working class but not “trashy.“

When did you last visit the campus? The area is nothing like it was in the 1980’s.

Old Louisville is beautiful, yep. A lot more dangerous than it used to be, but that's unfortunately everywhere in the city now. The downtown business district isn't really by campus. Just south of campus looks pretty trashy to me, including the Churchill Downs area. I give a pass to Santa Fe if it's still there, because their tacos are killer.
It gets a lot nicer a bit further out by Southern Parkway, Beechmont, etc.

I guess that's all subjective though.

The on-campus / campus adjacent facilities built over the last 20 or so years all look nice and are a major improvement over whatever was there before like the shit around the silos.

I agree the campus is really nice for an urban / commuter school. Especially compared to the late 80s / early 90s. But you don't have to go far to find buildings that Saw could have been filmed in.

Next time I'm downtown I'll drive by and cop to it if I feel like I was overstating things. Just FYI I live in Louisville and have (almost) always enjoyed living here.

Reactions: John_dromo1
Old Louisville is beautiful, yep. A lot more dangerous than it used to be, but that's unfortunately everywhere in the city now. The downtown business district isn't really by campus. Just south of campus looks pretty trashy to me, including the Churchill Downs area. I give a pass to Santa Fe if it's still there, because their tacos are killer.
It gets a lot nicer a bit further out by Southern Parkway, Beechmont, etc.

I guess that's all subjective though.

The on-campus / campus adjacent facilities built over the last 20 or so years all look nice and are a major improvement over whatever was there before like the shit around the silos.

I agree the campus is really nice for an urban / commuter school. Especially compared to the late 80s / early 90s. But you don't have to go far to find buildings that Saw could have been filmed in.

Next time I'm downtown I'll drive by and cop to it if I feel like I was overstating things. Just FYI I live in Louisville and have (almost) always enjoyed living here.
Yea. My cousin just graduated a few years ago and they called the little "shop and save" store... The "stab and rob" store. She's a huge ul fan so she wasn't hating to be hating. She moved off campus with a couple other girls after her freshman year because they didn't feel safe on campus dorms

Yea. My cousin just graduated a few years ago and they called the little "shop and save" store... The "stab and rob" store. She's a huge ul fan so she wasn't hating to be hating. She moved off campus with a couple other girls after her freshman year because they didn't feel safe on campus dorms
When I was at UofL, many moons ago, you could get a gallon of cheap beer, draft, in a plastic jug (that you provided ) for .99 cents from that Save A Step!

Reactions: hmt5000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT