ADVERTISEMENT

Round 3 UK Basketball Draft

Good pick. I thought about him hard. I wanted to make sure I got an electric guard ASAP though. Man, after the first wave of greats, the next 20 dudes are almost interchangeable.
If you had taken Cousins, I was taking Monk with that pick. A UK version Wall-Monk backcourt would probably be the most entertaining thing in Kentucky history.

Last edited:
😂 Pretty much. My biggest dilemma is deciding between old time players and modern. In the hierarchy of UK greats, there are some old-timers that should probably go before the more modern players but probably won’t get the votes because none of us saw them play.
Maybe so, but I honestly believe the average player since 1970 or so is way better than the 40’s and 50’s versions. Not to mention the game has changed so much I believe the modern guys have an edge there as well. I can only pick the guys I’ve seen or know a lot about, there isn’t even much film to go and see the Groza’s and such play.

Reactions: chroix and jrpross
Maybe so, but I honestly believe the average player since 1970 or so is way better than the 40’s and 50’s versions. Not to mention the game has changed so much I believe the modern guys have an edge there as well. I can only pick the guys I’ve seen or know a lot about, there isn’t even much film to go and see the Groza’s and such play.
Exactly. Guys from the 40’s and 50’s championship teams would be destroyed by modern players. But that said, should we try to consider these players in context of when they played? If not, my first round pick of Cliff Hagan is gonna come back to bite me in the butt.

Reactions: drcats2013
Exactly. Guys from the 40’s and 50’s championship teams would be destroyed by modern players. But that said, should we try to consider these players in context of when they played? If not, my first round pick of Cliff Hagan is gonna come back to bite me in the butt.
I consider Cliff an elite pick and will vote as such. He was drafted where he should have been, but I typically avoid these players from the 40’s and 50’s because I know a lot of other people won’t vote that way.

Reactions: RunninRichie
But Hagan was transcendent in the same way that Issel was. There's a timelessness surrounding a few of those guys. You got one of them.

Reactions: jrpross and chroix
But Hagan was transcendent in the same way that Issel was. There's a timelessness surrounding a few of those guys. You got one of them.
Yeah that’s how I look at it. If one team has Ralph Beard and the other one has Wah Wah Jones, it’ll be tough to make an argument which one would have the edge. But Hagan & Issel have a mystique that’s travelled with them through generations.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Just curious. Why is Davis off-limits. Would he have gone #1, probably, but not a lock. Not significantly better than Mashburn & Issel.

Hurry Up Waiting GIF

I'm not sure this would be correct or not. Yeah, things are different but what if you put a player from the 50's let's say and put him in modern basketball now....from day one. Growing up with the advantages of today, training/practicing from their early playing days until they're 20ish and playing with today's rules since they were kids. ????

Is Mashburn (30 years ago) at a big disadvantage to those playing now? Would Issel from 50 years ago be at a disadvantage to Mash? And so on and so on.

It's a question we really can't answer. But, it's interesting thinking about it.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I was at the 100 Year stuff at the old UK Museum down at Rupp 20 or so years ago. Anyway, I was behind this old timer as we snaked our way through the line of players there signing autographs. We came to Cliff Hagan, and the old timer stuck his hand out to shake Mr Hagan’s hand. While they were shaking hands he said, “You’re the best guard I’ve ever seen play here.” Mr Hagan looked him in the eye and just said, “Damn right.”

It was awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT