ADVERTISEMENT

Roster set... Who will emerge as this team's leader?

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
With or without Cam, we know our roster. Do one of the returners like Diallo/Gabriel/SKJ step up? Or does someone like our pitbull PG Green take over and become the leader? Will be interesting to see how it unfolds and if there is a clear cut alpha that everyone else follows like an MKG and his Breakfast Club that he started.

Green will have to assert himself since he'll be the floor general

I'd think Diallo will also having already been through practices playing against NBA lottery picks.

Young team.

We have no Ulis or Briscoe this season.

I don't see WG or SKJ in that role.

Hopefully one of the Freshman emerges and leads like MKG did in 2012.

Most likely, Cal has to provide a lot of the leadership from the sidelines.

Quade Green - tough, young man from Philly. If his workout vids are legit and I have no reason to doubt them, he steps into the role by word and example.

I don't know 'em good enough
to make an educated guess but I'm hoping for good chemistry. We're gonna be greener than ever. I look forward to watching them grow.

bucs is correct, the leadership will come through cal and his point guard!! Quade has excellent leadership abilities but with so many young players he will have to earn it !! that is Cals biggest coaching challenge. Get them to follow the only true natural leader on your young team ! ( no disrespect) Bucs is a very smart knowledgeable poster !!

Green, easily. Tough small guard from a tough city that other players flock to and follow his lead. That type has done okay here before if memory serves correctly.

Reactions: stuway
bucs is correct, the leadership will come through cal and his point guard!! Quade has excellent leadership abilities but with so many young players he will have to earn it !! that is Cals biggest coaching challenge. Get them to follow the only true natural leader on your young team ! ( no disrespect) Bucs is a very smart knowledgeable poster !!

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't often hear "smart" or "knowledgeable" thrown my way. I teach 9th grade history. LOL!

I have to go with Diallo. Been with the team, knows the system and probably has the most to prove, to the fans, NBA, and himself. Hope he comes back ready to lead.

Kind of OT but Green will have to fight very hard for his starting role against SGA. People are sleeping on this guy. I've watched him a few times and he is smooth, long and confident. Dude is going to be a big time player next year imo. Watch out!

Definitely Green. This team has more quiet personalities than most Cal teams. Gabriel, SKJ, Alexander, Knox, Washington, and even Diallo, all strike me as quiet. Powerful players, but not vocally aggressive. Green is verbal, flashy, cocky, and has clearly embraced his role as the next Calipari floor general of a super-squad ever since he committed.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Definitely Green. This team has more quiet personalities than most Cal teams. Gabriel, SKJ, Alexander, Knox, Washington, and even Diallo, all strike me as quiet. Powerful players, but not vocally aggressive. Green is verbal, flashy, cocky, and has clearly embraced his role as the next Calipari floor general of a super-squad ever since he committed.

Good point about Green.

I would go with Green. The fact that the dude is kind of on the small side of what Cal usually brings in at the point guard spot, you have to think the dude has something with his game Cal liked a lot and i bet it's the leadership Green will bring to the floor. The fact so many of our elite recruits wanted to play with him instead of another point guard who is rated a lil higher on the recruiting boards tells me the dude might be small, but has what it takes to help win Kentucky a bunch of games. If i had to say who i think would be the best player on next year's team, i would go with Knox. I think Knox is a kid that can be a monster playing college basketball if Cal can talk him into playing some minutes at the 4. Knox is a nightmare for any post, or guard to guard on the floor. We're talking about a kid that loves to score the ball and isn't afraid to step up when needed. Our entire roster is going to be a nightmare to guard, but Knox might just be the best. I'm glad Cal talked the kid into coming to Kentucky when all we heard was can't get him out of NC during his recruitment.

Kind of OT but Green will have to fight very hard for his starting role against SGA. People are sleeping on this guy. I've watched him a few times and he is smooth, long and confident. Dude is going to be a big time player next year imo. Watch out!
I agree with the fact that SGA is going to be wildly underrated, but you know just as well as I do Green is out starting PG. SGA may end up being the better player, but Green will be as good of a PG as there is in the country.

Green has too strong of a personality to accept not being the leader. If you don't want him to be the leader then at best you're getting a 50/50 split with somebody else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT