ADVERTISEMENT

Rod Hampton speaks about his son's recruitment (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
Yesterday, we presented the open interview season with R.J. Hampton. The media also got a chance to converse with his father, Rod Hampton, shortly afterwards.

Some individuals won't share their feelings or are cold in talking about their recruiting. Do not include Mr. Hampton in that group. He has always been generous with his time with any questions that have been asked about his son. Saturday morning was no different when media members who cover Kentucky basketball descended upon him to ask him the tough questions about his son's future.

About playing in the backcourt along with Tyrese Maxey, Ashton Hagans, and Immanuel Quickley

“He know’s Tyrese’s game, and think how much better Ashton and Immanuel are going to be. The good thing with him is he can play multiple positions, so ideally you want him to be on the point. But whoever gets it can roll with it. That’s what I like about it.”

About the importance of not playing on a a roster with another point guard

“It’s probably overblown, because look at Kansas. They usually play with two point guards. He can play. Do I think he’s better with the ball in his hands? Yes he is. But he’s really damn good off the ball too. So we’re going to see how it goes. It’s going to come down to fit. That’s why I want to wait till all the rosters are put together to see if there’s a spot for him. If there’s no spot for him I’m in no rush to kick him out of the house. So if there’s no spot for him, we’ll just do what we’ve got to do.”

About the conversation during last week’s in-home visit from John Calipari

“We told him we are really, really considering reclassifying. So he’s like ok, because he really had no clue we’re going to do it. So I told him it’s over fifty percent now that we’re going to recalls. So he’s trying to put the classes together. It will be interesting if Johnny Juzang chooses them after the visit. It’s a good program, but I think he could fit in all the schools we’re looking at.”

On whether a Johnny Juzang commitment would change the feeling about Kentucky

“It won’t change nothing. I’m looking at him coming in and being one of the top guys. It won’t change a thing.”

On whether a Juzang commitment would make Kentucky more attractive

“No. When you’ve got guys like Kahlil Whitney, Tyrese Maxey, and those other guys you can also have an overload of guys too. But Cal knows how to play those guys too.”

On Kentucky possibly having three point guards

“They are telling me R.J. could play multiple positions, but I’m telling them also I think he’s best with the ball in his hands. That’s what we’re in no rush. If it’s not he right fit, we won’t go there.”

On whether playing the point in college would make him more attractive to NBA teams

“It is more important to have the ball in his hands, no question. We are going to college to win a National Championship first. But we aren’t going to stop one bit his growth and development. We’re not going to put him at the three when we know he’s a one or he’s a combo guard. That’s fact. We’re not going to go there and not have the ball in his hands.”

On whether Memphis and Kansas are more appealing because they don’t have as many point guards

“You’re reading that exactly right, but again, Cal knows how to work his magic. We’re not running away from competition. Everybody wants competition, but he has a resume. He’s a point guard at the next level, and when do you start that? You start that now.”

On whether R.J. would need the ball in his hands all of the time

“It’s got to be time share. You see how we do in AAU. I want him to come off screens, come off the double. They kind of preach they want to use him like Devin Booker. Pin downs, things like that. But one thing about R.J., he’s a closer. So you know what? You do what you’ve got to do. With two or three minutes left in the game you put it in his hands. He’s going to make the right play. That’s what I’m really concerned about.”

On whether he has nothing left to prove in high school

“He told me that. The blessing was he really wanted the Gatorade Player of the Year last year. He thought he should’ve got it over Quentin Grimes. He got it this year, so that’s one of the big things he’s got out of the way. He hasn’t even scratched the surface of where he’s going to be, but development is the key wherever he goes.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News