ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Barrett Decision Date

Adam Zagoria said on a podcast last night that the decision would be coming very soon and it would be Duke.

I'm not sure if 5 weeks from now is "very soon" or not.

Everyone has always said the longer he waits the better it is for UK. I still would be surprised if it's not Duke but Cal now knows he has one month to change Barrett's mind.

Sure would like to see him in UK blue. Depends on how much of a influence his Dad has on him. I understand his Dad likes dUKe.

Our recruiting has been spectacular, but I have to admit it will hurt to lose both Bagley and Barrett to Duke. Those are two of the best players to come through in a while.

Doesn't that November 10th date tear down what some Dukies have said on here about the decision being imminent? I feel like we have a chance.......

Is it good for duke that they have a ball dominate player of the same position already committed??

Everyone but Reddish and his family knows that K is going to play him, at 6'8, at the 4 position. If they get Barrett, he's their 3.

Reactions: jrpross
and somehow K won't help development. K cannot develop NBA talent. That's why Duke players suck in the NBA.
Explain how one year at Duke ruins good players, who have years to develop their trade in the NBA. It doesn't make sense. You can argue that Cal does more to prepare players for the rigors of the NBA in the year that he has them, but to say that K can't develop NBA talent is going too far.

Explain how one year at Duke ruins good players, who have years to develop their trade in the NBA. It doesn't make sense. You can argue that Cal does more to prepare players for the rigors of the NBA in the year that he has them, but to say that K can't develop NBA talent is going too far.

Cal prepares. K pampers.

Wonder if coach K is going to assemble one last super team and then retire? Could have been part of his pitch to Reddish and Barrett.

Reactions: KY Long Rifle
Don't think you can read anything into it either way. IQ has been a Cat for nearly a year but only made it official recently.

If Barrett's mind is made up on Duke, it doesn't matter if he announced yesterday or in May.

His mind is definitely made up though. You don't set an announcement date otherwise, and the timing seems like he met with Duke and then his mind was made up.

It feels like we've been behind in this one from the start, but I keep going back to how confident our staff feels privately.

Now that this news is out, I'm interested to see if Matt and others who told us UK loves their position will have any updated information.

Cal prepares. K pampers.

I have always thought that has something to do with it. Personally, I feel Cal evaluates players at a much higher level than any other coach. Our guys almost always turn out to be better somehow. I credit his development too. Coach K usually gets highly skilled players who are below average athletically and don't have much of a ceiling.

Duke guys tho always get twice as much hype than they would at any other university. They're also protected like crazy. I remember watching Jabari Parker one time during one play for Duke. He was at the 3 point line, made a jab step, and the defender fouled him (it wasn't even a foul) just inside the 3 point line. He then just non-chalantly walked in and went through the motion of making the layup after taking 3 steps. The ref called the basket good. Meanwhile, Julius Randle was getting fouled on every single possession up and down the floor with only 30% of them being called.

and somehow K won't help development. K cannot develop NBA talent. That's why Duke players suck in the NBA.
yeah brand boozer Deng maggette hill Irving parker hood Redick battier all suck in the pros. hill and Irving are hall of famers. I'm sure Duval bagley barrett reddish Carter Tatum will all suck too. lol

I can't even begin to imagine the pathetic groveling and negative recruiting that takes place when K goes in to recruit one of these guys.

Reactions: UKMKG
yeah brand boozer Deng maggette hill Irving parker hood Redick battier all suck in the pros. hill and Irving are hall of famers. I'm sure Duval bagley barrett reddish Carter Tatum will all suck too. lol

You named like three guys who aren't retired and one of them is Rodney Hood who came to campus when he was like 21 years old already. Either do better or don't post.

Don't think you can read anything into it either way. IQ has been a Cat for nearly a year but only made it official recently.

If Barrett's mind is made up on Duke, it doesn't matter if he announced yesterday or in May.

His mind is definitely made up though. You don't set an announcement date otherwise, and the timing seems like he met with Duke and then his mind was made up.

It feels like we've been behind in this one from the start, but I keep going back to how confident our staff feels privately.

Now that this news is out, I'm interested to see if Matt and others who told us UK loves their position will have any updated information.

I agree with all of this. However, I did read a Tweet, linking an article this morning (Jason ? USA Today), stating that Barrett knew the date he wanted to announce, but had not decided on a school yet. I realize this was probably recruit-speak but the tweet was out there nonetheless.

I agree with all of this. However, I did read a Tweet, linking an article this morning (Jason ? USA Today), stating that Barrett knew the date he wanted to announce, but had not decided on a school yet. I realize this was probably recruit-speak but the tweet was out there nonetheless.
Yeah. He said he doesn’t know where he’s going yet. That could be to build suspense or it could be true. We’ll see I suppose. I’m hoping but not expecting.

Really? I always thought it was Oregon and us. I don't remember hearing about Duke until a few months ago whereas we've been on him HARD since before he reclassified. After Duke got Bagley and Reddish, everyone seemed to shift to Duke as being a threat and now, months later, a favorite. But I could've swore going back into mid-summer, it was Oregon and UK for Barrett. With most saying, if he reclassified, he was all but ours?

Matt Jones has said forever that if the decision was in November and not in the next week or so, he likes Kentucky's chances. We'll see.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Really? I always thought it was Oregon and us. I don't remember hearing about Duke until a few months ago whereas we've been on him HARD since before he reclassified. After Duke got Bagley and Reddish, everyone seemed to shift to Duke as being a threat and now, months later, a favorite. But I could've swore going back into mid-summer, it was Oregon and UK for Barrett. With most saying, if he reclassified, he was all but ours?

I think a lot of that early reporting is bogus. Oregon is always linked to the Canadian Nike kids, and it's a safe bet to have Kentucky high on the list of every elite player.

I've just read too many of those anonymous tell-all player interviews over the years where they basically know where they're going from the start to believe you can really make up as much ground as the writers try and portray.

They have subscriptions to sell, and not a lot of folks fork out 10 bucks a month to read "player A liked School X two years ago and still plans on going there."

It happens some with kids who aren't elite, I'm sure. One school makes them a bigger priority, or promises them they can play point guard or start or something. Or maybe there's a coaching change or scandal or something or a kid expected to go pro comes back at their position.

But I don't think a kid like Barrett is really influenced by that stuff. He's going to play and have a very similar role no matter where he chooses.

I believe most of these kids know which school they like, take their visits, meet their coaches, and then the majority end up picking what they knew they wanted from the start. The daily and weekly internet drama is manufactured for suspense, subscriptions and to increase their profile.

Let's see

Brand - hates Duke now and talks about how he doesn't like K
Boozer - He was better at fighting Little mac in Punchout
Deng - a good player. One Dukie I never disliked
Maggette - took money as a student at Duke but Duke didn't get in trouble
Hill - good player, but overrated and had his career hampered by injuries
Parker - 2 acls tears in 3 seasons
Hood - Credit Mississipi State for his success just as much as Duke
Redick - role player
Battier - has the lowest hairline ever
Irving - played like 9 games at Duke

Great list you compiled there to prove your point! lol

I think a lot of that early reporting is bogus. Oregon is always linked to the Canadian Nike kids, and it's a safe bet to have Kentucky high on the list of every elite player.

I've just read too many of those anonymous tell-all player interviews over the years where they basically know where they're going from the start to believe you can really make up as much ground as the writers try and portray.

They have subscriptions to sell, and not a lot of folks fork out 10 bucks a month to read "player A liked School X two years ago and still plans on going there."

It happens some with kids who aren't elite, I'm sure. One school makes them a bigger priority, or promises them they can play point guard or start or something. Or maybe there's a coaching change or scandal or something or a kid expected to go pro comes back at their position.

But I don't think a kid like Barrett is really influenced by that stuff. He's going to play and have a very similar role no matter where he chooses.

I believe most of these kids know which school they like, take their visits, meet their coaches, and then the majority end up picking what they knew they wanted from the start. The daily and weekly internet drama is manufactured for suspense, subscriptions and to increase their profile.

Makes sense. But ultimately, I don't think Duke has always been his place. Coming form an unbiased mindset, I can see the appeal to Duke. HOF coach. Awesome gym to play in that's full of energy. Gorgeous, prestigious campus. Play with great players. But Barrett seemed like he was ours to lose a few months ago. Duke hype came later, no?

If he goes to Duke I will lose my mind. There's not many guys I've wanted more to commit here.

Makes sense. But ultimately, I don't think Duke has always been his place. Coming form an unbiased mindset, I can see the appeal to Duke. HOF coach. Awesome gym to play in that's full of energy. Gorgeous, prestigious campus. Play with great players. But Barrett seemed like he was ours to lose a few months ago. Duke hype came later, no?

I think by the time the recruitment was at the real stage, we found out Duke was strong.

Like right now, we "lead" for Wiseman but how much of that is how he feels and how much is reporter X just saying Kentucky is the biggest school that's recruiting him the hardest early on?

We listen to the same people who tell us so and so leads that, as the decision draws near, tells us it's too close to call or nothing would surprise them--all with a nifty little link to their website.

But again, apparently our staff feels good. The rest of the info we "know" is mostly from a staff who likes to put out that they lead for a kid. It has a Knox feel, but that was the major exception, not the rule.

Reactions: Catzman
I remember Knox being a "lock" for UNCCHEAT, and we weren't even in the running, iirc.

Cal is the best at what he does, and until this kid announces I'll believe we are still in the running for him as well.

Reactions: Lempface

Thats the only saving grace from them racking up lately. Their players wont improve. Theyll be the same the day they stop on campus as the day they step off.

Still think UK is right in this thing. He didnt decide to reclass till Cal visited

Thats the only saving grace from them racking up lately. Their players wont improve. Theyll be the same the day they stop on campus as the day they step off.

Still think UK is right in this thing. He didnt decide to reclass till Cal visited

His reclass was reported over a year ago. He only just made it official a couple months ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT