ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Rob Dole

50b80263-72df-4959-b61a-e4d54eb3928a_1.bb7760fcef6de0ca5d52da0ea3f864d5.png

Had the opportunity to meet Sen. Dole my junior year at the University of Kentucky. As luck would have it, he was a Kappa Sigma at the University of Kansas during his college day's and I was a Kappa Sig at Kentucky. I was living in Kerwin One which was the football dorm. He was running on the ticket with Gerald Ford and came to the Kappa Sigma house. He along with Elizabeth asked me who we were playing that weekend, and I said ironically we are playing in Lawrence against your alma mater, Kansas. Elizabeth told me she hoped we won. We got smoked. They were wonderful people. RIP you great American!

Not something you read every day but it can happen to anyone. Didn't realize he was that old.
And how many WW2 vets a) do you still know that are alive at all, and b) are under age 98? My uncle would be 94 and was drafted into Marines as soon as he graduated from HS in '45. War ended before he ever left basic training and was discharged in April '46. Net, he was about the youngest you could be and still be considered (technically) a WW2 vet. I only know one WW2 vet still left - a neighbor - and he's 99/100.

And how many WW2 vets a) do you still know that are alive at all, and b) are under age 98? My uncle would be 94 and was drafted into Marines as soon as he graduated from HS in '45. War ended before he ever left basic training and was discharged in April '46. Net, he was about the youngest you could be and still be considered (technically) a WW2 vet. I only know one WW2 vet still left - a neighbor - and he's 99/100.

My grandpa would be 95 if he was still kickin.

Reactions: 1977 Cat
Wife just walked in and showed me Bob Dole being helped out of his wheel chair to salute President Bush and yes I am proud I did have a tear run down my cheek.

Reactions: Atrain7732
Norm (in Bob Dole voice) "Bob Dole fought a valiant battle with cancer, but in the end, it was a draw."

Reactions: augustaky1
Bob Dole was indeed a high character, patriotic man that endured enormous pain from his battle wounds that left him paralyzed in the arms and legs for quite a while. Everyone should be grateful to this man for his lifelong, selfless service to his country. Wish we had more like him today.

Bob Dole was indeed a high character, patriotic man that endured enormous pain from his battle wounds that left him paralyzed in the arms and legs for quite a while. Everyone should be grateful to this man for his lifelong, selfless service to his country. Wish we had more like him today.
He couldn't get elected in today's political climate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT