RIP Kentucky basketball

Col. Angus

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2017
Goodnight, sweet prince.

Same day as OJ too. Damn.

iu-marketing-lockup.jpg

🖕 We recently had a 9 win season, a loss to St. Peter's with the National Player of the Year, can't beat Oakland, and we were getting b-tched slapped in Rupp. The guy making us a joke is gone. And we now have the financial ability to fire a coach if he is doing awful.

Best shape the program has been in years. We aren't turning into Indiana. 🤬

That's my boy!!

Premature take. Pope has never had the backing, resources, tradition, fan base that UK offers. Nearly impossible to say, at this point, that he won't recruit well, won't win any tournament games, etc.

I'd bet all the money I have that he's a better in-game coach, roster builder and developer of talent than Cal has ever been. How could he be worse?

Lesser physical talent that is better coached will win a lot of games, including in the NCAA (see: UK v. Oakland and v. St. Peters).

I'm willing to see how he does before laying out my funeral clothes.

Missed Postseason
Missed Postseason
1st rd
1st rd

Who's resume is that for first 4 seasons at an elite school? Not Pope's...its a 100 million dollar question tho.

What about this one:
Nit
Nit
Nit
Sweet16
Season FIFTEEN: finally championship

You wanted both of these ppl btw

The 2nd isn't Drew either

Reactions: 55wildcat
Barney has been gambling with our all time winningest program since day 1. The last 2 gambles were knives to the gut that’s why people are concerned. And the man hired joker under the same pretense.

Barney has been gambling with our all time winningest program since day 1. The last 2 gambles were knives to the gut that’s why people are concerned. And the man hired joker under the same pretense.
Awful take. Joker had zero head coaching experience. Many of us football fans saw that disaster coming a mile away. But I still gave him a chance until it was plainly obvious he was in over his head. I think Pope has a better head on his shoulders and is ready for the task at hand. If he fails I’ll eat crow.

Reactions: Captain Forehead
Awful take. Joker had zero head coaching experience. Many of us football fans saw that disaster coming a mile away. But I still gave him a chance until it was plainly obvious he was in over his head. I think Pope has a better head on his shoulders and is ready for the task at hand. If he fails I’ll eat crow.
Well in some ways he was in a better position to be successful as he was an assistant in the program and inherited an actual roster. Jon scheyer and Hubert davis similar in situation to joker but we ll see. I know RB was no hall of fame head coach but mark is inheriting a blank roster. It will be a challenge. Bbn was firmly behind Bcg too. You gotta win in basketball no moral victories.

Pope is going to be able to get talent here. People acting like we won't have top 20 talent are being wayyy too negative. We have become too used to the one and done player mindset. We will be very attractive in the portal to any player wanting more exposure that is highly skilled.

I was grumpy thurs but by fri afternoon I have warmed to the hire. Bball hasn't been fun to watch for years. If Pope makes watching games fun again I don't care how he recruits. I'd kill for some Heshimu Evans and Epps types. Too many chiefs and no braves wasn't working.

Meh, we'll see what happens. I guess I get it from Mitch's perspective. I don't think Drew + family would handle the microscope well and Mitch's hire is the opposite of Calipari. It became UCAL instead of UK. The program should never be on an island as if it's an NBA franchise and it should never allow guys to stop by, wear a jersey, and refuse to play as they use the facilities to work on their game for the draft. Only thing I don't like seeing is some of our fans acting like it's going to take a couple years. Why? We didn't suck last year. Pope has plenty to spend on players now and more is coming in by the day. Go get solid guys and be the coach many think you are. We're not BYU Jr. so I don't want to see us crushed in the Champion's Classic, somehow drop the Louisville game, and end the season with ten losses.

Meh, we'll see what happens. I guess I get it from Mitch's perspective. I don't think Drew + family would handle the microscope well and Mitch's hire is the opposite of Calipari. It became UCAL instead of UK. The program should never be on an island as if it's an NBA franchise and it should never allow guys to stop by, wear a jersey, and refuse to play as they use the facilities to work on their game for the draft. Only thing I don't like seeing is some of our fans acting like it's going to take a couple years. Why? We didn't suck last year. Pope has plenty to spend on players now and more is coming in by the day. Go get solid guys and be the coach many think you are. We're not BYU Jr. so I don't want to see us crushed in the Champion's Classic, somehow drop the Louisville game, and end the season with ten losses.
A very solid analysis! More of this, please, and less of that Ward Cleaver lecturing, please.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
I'll repeat: This thread is a travesty. And I hope Colonel Angus chokes to death on a 1970's bush...

Reactions: hmt5000
UK basketball died years ago at the hands of a fat washed up hack who thought he was the program.

Trying to talk myself into it, but hopefully Pope can bring back the UK basketball I grew up with.

Make UK Basketball Great Again!
---
The problem is, most players will be from the portal & portal players are just paid mercenaries. The UK basketball you grew up with is long gone & will never return.

Well, it's naive, IMO, to think that college athletes were EVER anything other than paid mercenaries. The only thing the portal and NIL accomplished was to take the money from underneath the table, and put it ON the table.

So, to restate: The UK Basketball you grew up with, is the same UK Basketball that exists now. The only difference is that the curtain has been pulled back, so it's impossible to "pretend" anymore...

You're welcome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT