ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Dickey Betts

Good night, sweet prince…

473e061b3a6cc5d7f02289e1ca5940c8e17629efb252dfd6fe2ea34c5a0f71fa.jpg

As a bar band guitarist for over 40 years... Dickey was my guy.

I have owned 2 Gibson LP goldtops as a tribute to the man... probably stole more licks from him than any other player.

RIP... the jam between he and Duane today will be EPIC!

Here's my personal favorite... Eat a Peach indeed:

I have owned 2 Gibson LP goldtops as a tribute to the man... probably stole more licks from him than any other player.

Me, too. I've tried to steal licks en masse from only 3 guitarists: Mick Taylor, Brian Setzer and Dickey Betts with varying degrees of success. Figured those three covered a lot of bases: classic/blues rock, rockabilly and Southern rock/country blues. Dickey had a wonderful, expressive, melodic style that was never flashy just greatly enhanced every song. Any guitarist that wants to master the major pentatonic scale, there is no better teacher than DB. Unlike many, many guitarists who are very talented, Dickey's solos never sounded like they were a glorified technique exercise. His legacy will live on a long, long time.

Me, too. I've tried to steal licks en masse from only 3 guitarists: Mick Taylor, Brian Setzer and Dickey Betts with varying degrees of success. Figured those three covered a lot of bases: classic/blues rock, rockabilly and Southern rock/country blues. Dickey had a wonderful, expressive, melodic style that was never flashy just greatly enhanced every song. Any guitarist that wants to master the major pentatonic scale, there is no better teacher than DB. Unlike many, many guitarists who are very talented, Dickey's solos never sounded like they were a glorified technique exercise. His legacy will live on a long, long time.
He literally invented the "Allman Brothers scale" by adding the flat 7th note to a major pentatonic scale, thus giving those major key songs a little bluesy element... pure genius imho.

Reactions: 55wildcat
This is a great find!

Dickey has the phenomenal Jack Pearson as his other guitarist... they were together for just a short time as Jack really hated touring.

Also... Dickey on a Strat... very uncommon.

Lastly, the Franklin's Tower (Grateful Dead) into Blue Sky is always an awesome segue.

At least once a week I gotta jam up some Allman brothers. This one of my all-time favorites. Crowd got their monies worth that night.

Reactions: WTF Cat

Probably my favorite album as well..

This is a great find!

Dickey has the phenomenal Jack Pearson as his other guitarist... they were together for just a short time as Jack really hated touring.

Also... Dickey on a Strat... very uncommon.

Lastly, the Franklin's Tower (Grateful Dead) into Blue Sky is always an awesome segue.

I don’t guess I’d ever seen them do that FT intro>BS. Pretty neat

He literally invented the "Allman Brothers scale" by adding the flat 7th note to a major pentatonic scale, thus giving those major key songs a little bluesy element... pure genius imho.
Would also throw in the 4th (Ramblin Man lick among others) to really give it what became the Southern rock sound. Just a wonderful guitarist. How good is a band when Dickey Betts is the 2nd best guitarist in the band (although I liked his style better than Duane, DA was regarded as a better player especially on slide)?

Reactions: JDHoss and WTF Cat

Man I love that song. Makes me think about “Dreams I will never see” by Molly Hatchet. Listen to those two back to back. Thanks for posting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT