ADVERTISEMENT

Riddle me this?

Mar 25, 2017
Ok, so let's say Cal leaves. I know he's not, but let's just say he does. Who's your next coach? I know you're all going to say Donovan but let's say that doesn't happen. Who's next on your list?

Chris Holtmann (Butler) from Nicholasville would be on my list. Kentucky native who knows the expectations that come with that job and what the program means to this fan base. He should be more experienced and proven by the time Cal leaves. An experienced coach would be nice but not one who has retirement knocking on his door. Would like to have someone who can be here for the long haul.

Right now there's no one that's ready for this job.

Hopefully that changes when Cal decides to retire.

The U.K. Job is so much more then being a great coach.

All of the things it takes to do this job successfully is overwhelming for 99% of coaches.

Dealing with fans, the media, the luncheons, recruiting, constant pressure and scrutiny, not being able to go out in public without a fan wanting a handshake/autograph, the media....I could go on and on.

Right now, I can't think of a soul who could do it anywhere near the level Cal does.

Brad Stevens or bust IMO, but I expect Cal to be here 10 more years so I'm not worried

The guys who are obviously ready for a job like this are the ones least likely to take it (Stevens, Donovan). If Donovan wanted to return to College and UK's job was open, I bet he'd take it. No reason he wants to leave the NBA soon that I can imagine.

Mike White? I really really like him from what I've seen so far but I always like to wait and see how a coach does once he has no left over players from the previous coach. I'm not saying he won't be great but he's definitely still benefiting from players Donovan landed.

Chris Mack
Archie Miller (although less likely now)
Greg Marshall (I'm not convinced his recent drama is enough to end Barnhart's interest entirely) My main worry with Marshall, besides him being a jerk, is how the NCAA seems to like to screw him as much as they do Cal.
Shaka Smart (recruiting very well at UT, lack of success because of youth)
Frank Martin?

Reactions: IUforver
I dont know about you guys but i would want Little Cal, you know Brad would have his daddy in he ear telling him how to work his way to the top.

Mark Few, Jay Wright, Sean Miller, Chris Mack.....that would be my list of candidates.

Can we just move on to the "Drunk" hire so we are that much closer to another "Great" hire

Reactions: JC for 3
Who are you and why are you here??
I'm excited about college bball again for the first time in a few years so I've been active on the boards. I asked this question because I wanted to see if the names mentioned were the same that were thrown around during our search and they are. I haven't seen anything that's outside the box. I figure when Cal decides to hang it up he'll try to bring someone in and groom them for the job. But you guys don't have any four year white point guards to bring in:)

Chris Mack seems like the no -brainer.

Donovan/Stevens --- nah. Both doing well and seem happy in NBA.

A. Miller--- dont see him making that move if he has IU in a position that would warrant him as a UK candidate.

Marshall -- Nope. Too much baggage.

S. Miller ---- West coast guy. And seems happy.

Mark Few--- doesnt seem to have the personality for UK. Seems perfect and perfectly happy w/ gonzaga.

Mike White --- Nope. Tried to pull another rising star from UF. If he ever ascended high enough for UK job and wasn't content at Florida, he'd be Duke's candidate.

Jay Wright --- The guy always seems a year or so away from a studio gig, to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT