ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Brooks

Maybe Brooks would coach better but Brooks piss poor recruits would still be there if he were the coach. Brooks had the chance to recruit Ohio....he basically did zero recruiting there.

Brooks had the same job for 8 years and he screwed the Woodson, Tamme, Burton, Stevie, Little and Lyons offense to Music City Bowl. (And for the record he lost with that team to a ho-hum USC team on the road...and a poor Miss St team at home.....let that sink in as we kiss up to PaPa Brooks)

I just don't see the love greater for Brooks than Stoops. Brooks was decent, Stoops is a step above decent....neither are great coaches IMO

The 2007 USC team was not bad. Only had one bad loss. Most definitely a 10-win team in any other conference. On the road on a Thursday night.

Maybe Brooks would coach better but Brooks piss poor recruits would still be there if he were the coach. Brooks had the chance to recruit Ohio....he basically did zero recruiting there.

Brooks had the same job for 8 years and he screwed the Woodson, Tamme, Burton, Stevie, Little and Lyons offense to Music City Bowl. (And for the record he lost with that team to a ho-hum USC team on the road...and a poor Miss St team at home.....let that sink in as we kiss up to PaPa Brooks)

I just don't see the love greater for Brooks than Stoops. Brooks was decent, Stoops is a step above decent....neither are great coaches IMO
He didn’t screw them they were playing with 2 stars everywhere and while the skill guys played up that suspect o line fell apart the back half of the season and Rafael little was out from Florida game on. We had multiple o line not 300 lb

They gave Rich Brooks NOTHING. His recruiting room was a card table in a corner of the indoor practice facility. He had no recruiting budget to work with, they wouldnt pay for assistant coaches and refused to make facility upgrades that he was promised.He won anyway. I have family that played for him.He was the freakin man. If he had gotten half of the millions that UK has given Stoops our program would probably look a lot different that it does now.

I'm not sure why it is so hard for some to understand that the extra money that has poured into the program is why Stoops is able to recruit above any UK coach in modern history. I mean seriously. WTF?

Vince Marrow is who recruits for UK, not Stoops, and he is only here because he is paid as well as some head coaches. He is paid because the program is able to now. He would not be here under Brooks because the money wasn't here then.

The facilities, the travel, the stadium renovations, the boosters, the school support, massive pay, a down SEC east. The list goes on. Stoops has had every single thing he wanted and he hasn't grown his skills in the least. He makes the same mistakes he made eleven years ago. That isn't the mark of a good coach.

Last edited:
Stoops is an average coordinator given the reins of a program based on his last name...

When was the last time Stoops took down a top 10 team?

9 mill for ass nuggets courtesy of Brainfart...

GbFLXqG.png

Just to add since some can't get their head around why Brooks was a better coach, here is a list of the experience he and his staff had. Give these guys some money and UK would have really gone places.

Seasons as NFL head coach: 2 (Brooks)
Seasons as NFL assistant: 39 (Brooks 8, Archer 7, Brown 6, Gray 1, Ortmayer 17)
NFL playoff appearances as a coach: 15 (Brooks 1, Archer 4, Brown 2, Ortmayer 8).
Super Bowl appearances as a coach: 4 (Brooks 1, Brown 1, Ortmayer 2)
Super Bowl championships as a coach: 3 (Brown 1, Ortmayer 2)
Seasons as an NFL player: 10 (Brown 8, Phillips 2)
NFL playoff appearances as a player: 4 (Brown)
Seasons as college head coach: 35 (Brooks 18, Archer 4, McBride 13)
Seasons as collegiate assistant coach: 122 (Brooks 8, Archer 13, Caragher 7, Dunn 17, Gray 7, Hudson 30, McBride 21, Ortmayer 7, Phillips 12)
Bowl game appearances as a coach: 55 (Brooks 5, Archer 9, Caragher 5, Dunn 7, Gray 3, Hudson 18, Ortmayer 4, Phillips 4)

He didn’t screw them they were playing with 2 stars everywhere and while the skill guys played up that suspect o line fell apart the back half of the season and Rafael little was out from Florida game on. We had multiple o line not 300 lb
Exactly…and that was 100 percent his fault was it not? That team was like his fifth year on the job and still had bad recruiting at multiple spots

A UK COACH Who does not have a full-time recruiter for his connections and the State of Ohio deserves the kind of record Brooks had. They had three former Head Coaches and you could count the number of players recruited from their past on one hand. His best team did the same thing this team has done they lost badly down the back part of the schedule with players recruited by Morris and Joker!!

Reactions: K_TIME
This would've been Rich Brooks 2nd best season.
He would never dream of beating Mississippi State and Florida in the same season.

Brooks didn't have talent?
First year with players Guy Morriss went 7-5 with, Brooks fumbled to 4-8.
Stoops went 10-3 with Terry Wilson.
I would love to see Stoops with Andre Woodson, Keenan, Stevie Johnson, Myron Pryor, Woodward, Lindley, etc...
Guarantee its better than 7-5.

Reactions: K_TIME
Exactly…and that was 100 percent his fault was it not? That team was like his fifth year on the job and still had bad recruiting at multiple spots
Yeah recruiting at a dead end with no resources job going into probation back when that actually mattered and had severe impact. And had to wait for those guys to get older because you had no transfer portal. Im not mr huge rich brooks guy but I am a ‘brooks is better than stoops’ guy. I’m not saying he couldn’t have recruited better than he did but he had nothing to sell absolutely nothing.

He would never dream of beating Mississippi State and Florida in the same season.

I would love to see Stoops with Andre Woodson, Keenan, Stevie Johnson, Myron Pryor, Woodward, Lindley, etc...
He wouldn’t dream of beating Florida because Florida was winning at 75% clip with urban Meyer. Not the current uf.

Mark Stoops is the losing-ist HC in UK football history. No other coach has lost more games. Nor has any other UK coach had the advantages Stoops has had either. Almost anyone could outcoach him.
To play devils advocate, he’s also the winningest and Kentucky has these resources because of stoops.

To play devils advocate, he’s also the winningest and Kentucky has these resources because of stoops.
He had nothing to do with the facilities and stadium upgrade other than helping with what things to include. Has he gotten some extra booster help here and there from having a couple of good seasons but not the large amounts that built the facilities. Those had been in the pipe for years and brooks even said he just got tired of waiting on them when he retired. Barnhart used the coming facilities to try to attract a coach during that coach search.

Reactions: Bterhune
Lol, he is also the losing-ist, which greatly diminishes the whole winningest thing.

What resources did Stoops bring? I don't recall him contributing anything to what UK has spent on the program.

If that was the case, he wouldn't be blaming everyone else for the lack of NIL funds.

He had nothing to do with the facilities and stadium upgrade other than helping with what things to include. Has he gotten some extra booster help here and there from having a couple of good seasons but not the large amounts that built the facilities. Those had been in the pipe for years and brooks even said he just got tired of waiting on them when he retired. Barnhart used the coming facilities to try to attract a coach during that coach search.
I disagree. Stoops started building and winning and that gave him leverage to get things done. The program started to have a shine. It was something worth spending money on. Over the years stoops and marrow have built strong relationships with the donors. More so than any staff before them. We can be pissed this morning and still recognize the work he has done here. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water

Reactions: phunterd
I disagree. Stoops started building and winning and that gave him leverage to get things done. The program started to have a shine. It was something worth spending money on. Over the years stoops and marrow have built strong relationships with the donors. More so than any staff before them. We can be pissed this morning and still recognize the work he has done here. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water
I don’t think there’s anything to disagree about. It’s factual that the stadium and practice investment plans were independent of stoops. At his intro day Barnhart fielded questions about it and the bonding approvals, etc. and I agree that he has had some degree of impact of bringing some other things in but compared to the bulk of what we put into the program it’s very small potatoes.

You're claiming they have forged these great relationships with boosters, yet Stoops is constantly whining about not having enough NIL support. So your claim doesn’t quite track.

You're claiming they have forged these great relationships with boosters, yet Stoops is constantly whining about not having enough NIL support. So your claim doesn’t quite track.
It’s been pretty well documented that stoops and marrow have forged great relationships with the donors. The fact that he’s asking for more does nothing to contradict that. When stoops said “pony up” I think he was addressing the fanbase regarding the collective. As cringy as the pony up line was, KSR eluded to it still having a positive effect.

It’s been pretty well documented that stoops and marrow have forged great relationships with the donors. The fact that he’s asking for more does nothing to contradict that. When stoops said “pony up” I think he was addressing the fanbase regarding the collective. As cringy as the pony up line was, KSR eluded to it still having a positive effect.
If he doesn't have sufficient NIL funds, that indicates he doesn't have as much of this alleged support from boosters you're claiming. Very few fans donate to NIL at any school. That contradicts it a lot to me.

I would be willing to bet what relationships he did have with boosters are starting to weaken pretty quickly.

If he doesn't have sufficient NIL funds, that indicates he doesn't have as much of this alleged support from boosters you're claiming. Very few fans donate to NIL at any school. That contradicts it a lot to me.

I would be willing to bet what relationships he did have with boosters are starting to weaken pretty quickly.
It indicates that this state doesn’t measure up against other states on the wealth scale.

It indicates that this state doesn’t measure up against other states on the wealth scale.
Lol, all of the SEC is poor. GA ranks one spot above us. Alabama is literally tied with us. MS, LA, and Arkansas are poorer than we are and still have schools in better situations. SC and TN are ranked very close to us as well and both still handled us without issue. However, FL is a good bit ahead all of those states and still sucks. So their state having more wealth isn't helping them. Also, TX and OK are very poor states as well, but their football teams are generally very good.

UL is in KY and seems to be doing okay.

Obviously it isn't the money. What other excuses you got?

Reactions: FirewithFire

Thank you....I love how the negative people start to argue Brooks is this and that.....Both are solid coaches but Stoops won 2 Citrus bowls whereas Brooks highlight is 2 Music City Bowls...and Stoops started coaches 3 years after Brooks left...so we're not talking like different eras.

Lol, all of the SEC is poor. GA ranks one spot above us. Alabama is literally tied with us. MS, LA, and Arkansas are poorer than we are and still have schools in better situations. SC and TN are ranked very close to us as well and both still handled us without issue. However, FL is a good bit ahead all of those states and still sucks. So their state having more wealth isn't helping them. Also, TX and OK are very poor states as well, but their football teams are generally very good.

UL is in KY and seems to be doing okay.

Obviously it isn't the money. What other excuses you got?

Are you donating? I’m sure not. The load is carried by the big money donors. Keep in mind that football is in direct competition with basketball probably more than any other sec school is. There is only so much money to go around. If you’re a big booster you are gonna have to choose between a point guard and a right guard. You know where the money goes first.

It’s Sunday and I’m not gonna spend any time googling NIL numbers. But I still don’t think we have enough donor money to give stoops what he needs. But I know for a fact that the relationships are solid with the boosters.

Are you donating? I’m sure not. The load is carried by the big money donors. Keep in mind that football is in direct competition with basketball probably more than any other sec school is. There is only so much money to go around. If you’re a big booster you are gonna have to choose between a point guard and a right guard. You know where the money goes first.

It’s Sunday and I’m not gonna spend any time googling NIL numbers. But I still don’t think we have enough donor money to give stoops what he needs. But I know for a fact that the relationships are solid with the boosters.
It's not the fans job to pay for players. Particularly when the coach is making 9 mil per year.

I am simply responding to your assertions that we cannot compete because of KY being poor when poorer states than KY are managing just fine.

We really aren't in a bind due to basketball. Again, TN is doing well in both sports and they are poor and in the SEC. Same with Bama.

We have 12 scholarship basketball players, they aren't the reason why the football team isn't getting money.

If they were solid they wouldn't be whining about lacking NIL funding. You must have some bad facts.

What other excuses you got?

Reactions: FirewithFire

Wow.. if Stoops goes down I see you’re going with him. You’re loyal to your boy, I’ll give you that!

Has Stoops ever beat the #1 team in the nation during a season?

It took a lot of guts and thinking to beat LSU in 2007.

Thank you....I love how the negative people start to argue Brooks is this and that.....Both are solid coaches but Stoops won 2 Citrus bowls whereas Brooks highlight is 2 Music City Bowls...and Stoops started coaches 3 years after Brooks left...so we're not talking like different eras.
Again the counter to that is do you really believe stoops is going to a citrus bowl in a season where he had to play 7 ranked teams? And he also actually has things to attract players with.

Again the counter to that is do you really believe stoops is going to a citrus bowl in a season where he had to play 7 ranked teams? And he also actually has things to attract players with.
Was the SEC any weaker the last 10 years then early 2000? Now we are making up narratives.

- Florida was incredible in Brooks era with Urban Meyer, Tebow, etc...
- But UGA was not all that great under Richt
- Tennessee was 7 win-ish program and actually fell off to a point where they forced Fulmer out...and Brooks was not able to garner a single win....pretty bad job there
- UL was bad under Kragthorpe at the end.....UL was Lamar/PEtrino early and Stoops put some W's upsets on them and eventually buried that rivalry.

THe argumnet Brooks had a harder road than Stoops is silly. The SEC has been about the same kind fo great teams and good teams to meh teams in thke past 20 years.

T
Was the SEC any weaker the last 10 years then early 2000? Now we are making up narratives.

- Tennessee was 7 win-ish program and actually fell off to a point where they forced Fulmer out...and Brooks was not able to garner a single win....pretty bad job there
- UL was bad under Kragthorpe at the end.....UL was Lamar/PEtrino early and Stoops put some W's upsets on them and eventually buried that rivalry.

THe argumnet Brooks had a harder road than Stoops is silly. The SEC has been about the same kind fo great teams and good teams to meh teams in thke past 20 years.
The SEC has been the weakest it's probably ever been the last few years. Only Bama and UGA have been consistently good. LSU has been off and on, and Auburn had a brief little boost, but have regressed.

The last 6 years, Stoops has had a much easier SEC slate than any other coach I can remember.

Numerically it is factually true the East is easier now. A few weeks ago I looked up the collective winning % of the East since stoops has been going to bowl games and it’s 55-56%. When brooks was here it was upper 60’s. The year before stoops came, in jokers era, it was just a hair under 70. Plus UL was formidable nationally then. The shift went from sec East to sec west while stoops was here. He got to coach against muschamp and Barry Odom and not urban Meyer at UF.

Georgia wasn’t winning champs but they were 10-11 win teams with richt. UF was their best version. No mizzou in the conference. Vandy was middling and finished with 5 wins a year but you had to beat them.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
You said Stoops still doesn’t have what he needs to be successful. I’m gonna stop you now cause that’s a lie!
Nope. When talking about money there is never enough. Bubba we still don’t have an up to date indoor practice facility. Do you know there is currently a track running through our end zone at the nutter center? Stoops begged for it for years. You know what Mitch told him? Sorry coach, we don’t have the money

Like I said, you stop when I’m telling lies.

Nope. When talking about money there is never enough. Bubba we still don’t have an up to date indoor practice facility. Do you know there is currently a track running through our end zone at the nutter center? Stoops begged for it for years. You know what Mitch told him? Sorry coach, we don’t have the money

Lol, you do realize they already updated Nutter and took out the track, right? Lol.

Look, Mrs. Stoops, just stop!

Reactions: BigBlue1992

Do you really think our facilities are worse than Missouri, Ole Miss, South Carolina, etc? Get off that argument. That’s no excuse anymore. And yes they did update Nutter Field!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT