ADVERTISEMENT

Revisiting some underrated 80's movies.

HymanKaplan

All-American
Aug 14, 2001
The Burbs is free on YouTube right now. Critics were not very kind to it, but I thought it was a hidden gem.

"About a NINE on the tension scale there Ruben" - Rumsfield (Bruce Dern)

"Just shut up and paint your GD HOUSE!" (also Bruce Dern) 😆 😆

"I've never seen that. I've never seen anybody drive their garbage down to the street and bang the hell out of it with a stick. I-I've never seen that." ~ Ray Peterson (Tom Hanks)

Reactions: hmt5000
Anything with Bruce Dean has potential to be good. Support Your Local Sheriff is one of my favorite ever.

• Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
Anything with Eddie Murphy in the 80's was gold. People forget how big of a movie star he was. 48 hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cops.... Even the Golden Child was funny.
Great movies! Not sure they're underrated though.

Anything with Bruce Dean has potential to be good. Support Your Local Sheriff is one of my favorite ever.
His paternal grandfather was gov of Utah. His Godfather was Adlai Stevenson. Bruce was a marathon runner and had stories about him in Runners World magazine back in the day.

Yeah I’ve listened to him on some pods.

He is a cocky SOB. Almost like his Hateful Eight character

Best movie decade? I think so.

The best B (and C) movies you could want.

Tango & Cash
Over the Top
Big Trouble in Little China
Just One of the Guys
Last Dragon
One Crazy Summer

If you wanted “drama”, Oliver Stone had some good ones called Talk Radio and Salvador.

Last edited:
Reactions: hmt5000 and exemjr

Tango & Cash
Over the Top
Just One of the Guys
Last Dragon
One Crazy Summer

If you wanted “drama”, Oliver Stone had some good ones called Talk Radio and Salvador.

Over the Top and BTILC are definitely on the list.

What about Better Off Dead? Underrated? I think so.

American Werewolf in London scared hell out of me as a youngster.
Pump up the volume- filmed in 89 I think
Long Riders
Honkeytonk Man

Reactions: parrott
Love Fandango, good call.
Yeap I remember Turk.

My uncle would come to our house all the time to watch movies cause he didnt have vcr, and didn’t work. So I watched a LOT of B & C movies in late 70s early 80s.

If none of you have seen the Burt Reynold's 1981 film, Sharky's Machine, I can't recommend it enough. The supporting cast, and the dialogue between the characters is fantastic. It is one of the best Burt Reynolds movies IMO, and the soundtrack, if you like jazz, is excellent.

If none of you have seen the Burt Reynold's 1981 film, Sharky's Machine, I can't recommend it enough. The supporting cast, and the dialogue between the characters is fantastic. It is one of the best Burt Reynolds movies IMO, and the soundtrack, if you like jazz, is excellent.
Can’t remember the gals name but she was sexy as hell in that movie.

actress: Rachel Ward

character: Domino

Burt, Brian Keith, Bernie Casey, and Charles Durning were absolutely fantastic together in this film. The scenes that take place in the Vice squad room/holding pen, are reminiscent of Robert Altman films (MASH for instance) where it's ambient sound recording, and you have to really hone in to get some of the best lines.

If you have Amazon Prime, it's free right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mash 2.4

Tango & Cash
Over the Top
Just One of the Guys
Last Dragon
One Crazy Summer

Wow, this is crazy timing. Was just talking to my in-laws about the Last Dragon this evening at dinner. One of my all time favorite cheesy movies along with Big Trouble in Little China.

I submit Jewish gangster movie Once Upon a Time in America. Screenplay by Sergio Leone (from the Eastwood spaghetti westerns). Staring Robert DeNiro, James Woods, Joe Pesci, Elizabeth McGovern, Treat Willims, etc. Really good movie but it was very long (over 3.5 hours). The American release got cut down to about 2 hours and it didn't work/critics didn't like. The original full version is a really good movie.

Last edited:
Yeah a Sergio flick ain’t going qualify.

I have 3-4 good reads on his work. Huge picture book on Once upon..in the west. One of my favorites ever

Tango & Cash
Over the Top
Just One of the Guys
Last Dragon
One Crazy Summer

Sorry, but best decade for movies was 90s, and it’s not even close.

But back to the topic of underrated 80s movies..

A great start for the Coen Brothers with the movie Blood Simple.

And a truly underrated movie - Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT