ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurants / bars you miss frequenting in Lex

Yep, the Ho was much better on campus. It's always ghetto AF now on the rare occasion we decide to pop in there drunk AF for a ho burger and cheddar tots in the wee hours.

Rockhaven was a shythole but I miss hanging out there and playing out there with my band in the late 90s. For those of us who were underage then.

Never got to go to Wrocklage but always heard stories about Soundgarden and such playing there.

High on Rose was a good place for local shows.

Lynagh's I haven't been down to in a few years but waaaay back when in the 90s I could sneak in and they had legit bands playing there. Still had solid local bands maybe 10 years ago when I'd go there often enough.

Fishtank and the Dame were fun. I liked playing out at A1A but I never really liked going there to hang out.
Loved Lynagh's. Good burgers, really good blues bands. Metropolitan Blues, couple others that I've forgotten their names. Had some good times there.

The Library on Euclid was a place me and a few guys would go on Thursdays as we all had late lab class. Hit it about 5 and have a few pops before dinner. Every so often some nice looking women would come in but not often enough.

Reactions: CB3UK
On The Border - At Man O War/Nicholasville Rd. I think it was Wednesday nights they had quarter beers and free all you can eat wings. It basically turned into a nightclub. One buddy who never went out with us never believed us that they had that deal. I don’t remember if they got in trouble for serving underage or if they just were losing $ when they shut down.

Austin City? Redmons? Buncha Crazy ASs rednecks all up in this bitch. Go to Cowboys and get titty-wankered, too?

I'm fairly convinced I'm the only person that has never eaten at Tolly Ho while drunk or hungover.

To be honest if you're talking about the old Tolly Ho, unless you were drunk or hung over, why would you go there?

Do you remember it was originally just a hole in the wall behind Kennedy book store across from where Pazzos and the new one went on Limestone?

I miss Billy's BBQ. Whenever I made it down to Lexington my buddies and I would meet there for lunch. The food was decent but it was more for nostalgia sake. It opened when I was a freshman back in 1978.

Brookings too.
I'm right with you. Billy's wasn't amazing but the meat was always moist and consistent.

Reactions: UK82
To be honest if you're talking about the old Tolly Ho, unless you were drunk or hung over, why would you go there?
also because when I was in the school of education I pretty much walked by there 3 times a week. And a plate of bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns for less than $5 is hard for me to turn down

Reactions: Tskware
I haven’t been back to Lexington in forever, the places I used to love in the 90s:

Barry Ts- Always got a Reuben on sourdough that was awesome.

Winners Spirits and Food- worked there several years, great place

Lexington City Brewery- great hot brown pizza and artichoke dip

Spuds- good place, is it still around?

Caddyshack- good food, always had a great band on Fri or Sat night, Ernie and another guy

Do you remember it was originally just a hole in the wall behind Kennedy book store across from where Pazzos and the new one went on Limestone?
The allure of the original was late night. During daylight hours it was only one step up from K-Lair.

Reactions: Tskware
They
I loved TW Lees. The ribs were great but I really miss the Mississippi Mud Pie. I always wondered why they went out of business.
They failed after I left (no correlation lol). I heard they were poorly managed and Tracey Farmer closed it down due to operational losses.

They had a killer Happy Hour setup: loads of free hot and cold hors d'oeuvres. My college buds would come in, eat like pigs, and I'd charge them $5 or so (on second thought... maybe I DID contribute to their demise lol).

Those Fast Eddies and LIT's in the 32 oz mason jars could get you there REALLY quickly.

The mud pie was awesome; used to take the unused/unsold leftovers home... for a poor college kid... those (and the loaded baked potatoes) were like heaven.

All in all, a great college era job... we 'd bank $125-200 in tips on UK football weekends (which was BIG money back then).

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Just reread this thread, and has no one mentioned Two Keys Tavern? I believe it is still open, but this thread would not be complete without a salute to TKT.

I left many brain cells on the bar, if I recall correctly, but my mind is a bit fuzzy on the details.

They built the big deck out back after I graduated, and that was a pretty fun place to hangout when I was in my 20s.

Reactions: jameslee32
I think I'm too young for penny pitchers but I do remember Saddle Ridge having All You Can Drink wells and drafts on Thursday nights for $10, I believe.

Lynagh's I haven't been down to in a few years but waaaay back when in the 90s I could sneak in and they had legit bands playing there. Still had solid local bands maybe 10 years ago when I'd go there often enough.

When I was 15 my aunt took me to Lynagh's for dinner. I went there a couple times to grab a burger in college, but never really went there to drink. Two years ago I took my daughter there for lunch during the second half of the beat down we put on the Cards in football. I shit you not it looked like they hadn't cleaned the place since 2001. Absolutely disgusting, but the food and beer was still good. Ha!

• Haha
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I miss Billy's BBQ. Whenever I made it down to Lexington my buddies and I would meet there for lunch. The food was decent but it was more for nostalgia sake. It opened when I was a freshman back in 1978.

Brookings too.
Billy's was awesome. They had Mich Heavy on Tap. Tasted like the tears of sexy angels.

Reactions: UK82
The Melodeon (sp?) had the best martinis in town for a long while.

I was being a smart ass, think it closed when I was about 10 years old. Think my Mom and Ddad used to hang out there, and Dad used to go to Joyland for dances in the 40s after the war.
Saratoga hasn’t been gone THAT long. I remember going there on visits to see my older siblings at UK in the late 80s/early 90s.

Saratoga hasn’t been gone THAT long. I remember going there on visits to see my older siblings at UK in the late 80s/early 90s.

Just googled and you are correct, opened in 1953, and looks like it closed about 1989. Can't say I was ever in the place, like I said, I just remember my parents talking about it.

One Ritzies was in front of Circuit City on Nich Rd. It ended up a Rally’s before they tore it down to make room for the Walgreens. The other was at the wedge where clays mill meets Harrodsburg/south Broadway. It wasn’t as good as the other, always had nasty greasy fries.
There was at least one more on Clays Mill and Pimlico. I could walk to it as a young buck. Think I had everything on the menu at least once.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT