ADVERTISEMENT

Reminder: Team Canada (Murray, Wiltjer) streaming at 6pm

BTW, for anyone like me who didn't know, this was on ESPN2, or at least it was when I turned it on that channel. Hopefully they will replay it.

Murray With a great control spin move to the rim and 1. This guy really seems comfortable taking the ball to the basket with his left hand.
Opponents will be having headaches trying to contain Ulis, Briscoe and Murray.

How many pro players are in this game? Is Heslip in the NBA? He's played pretty well.
He plays in Bosnia. He was in the D League, and put up some huge numbers there. I doubt he ever makes the NBA- he's not big enough for the "pure shooter" role he clearly fits, he has no real PG skills, and he's completely awful on defense. He's what baseball guys refer to as a AAAA player, far better than most minor league guys, but not quite gifted enough for the top level.

Wiltjer checked in with 38 seconds left and scored a bucket. Heslip's uncle is coach and was on fire so took all the minutes.

Heslip is a 6'2" guard. Do you really think he's the one who took Wiltjer's minutes?

What are the Canadians going to look like full strength?

I would think they would add Joseph, Wiggins, and Lyles.

Anyone else?

All this sounds really good. If the coach gives Murray major minutes against pros and Wiltjer can't even get off bench - it says what I felt after Nike game - Murray plays with a focus beyond his years. He doesn't play like a kid.

So somebody that watched this game please give me a breakdown of how our boy looked. From what I can tell by skimming through this thread he was awesome. Am I right???

All this sounds really good. If the coach gives Murray major minutes against pros and Wiltjer can't even get off bench - it says what I felt after Nike game - Murray plays with a focus beyond his years. He doesn't play like a kid.

Agreed.

But keep in mind Canada is deep up front and weak in the backcourt. Murray is one of only two PGs on this team and he is the future while the guy in front of him is older.

Meanwhile, Wiltjer is behind NBA guys like Bennett and Nicholson plus the 7'5 dude.

Oh yeah, forgot about Tristan Thompson. That is a nice starting lineup there, and with a damn solid bench too. Canucks might make some noise in next year's Olympics.

Cory Joseph
Nik Stauskas
Andrew Wiggins
Tristan Thompson
Kelly Olynyk

Anthony Bennett
Trey Lyles
Jamal Murray
Andrew Nicholson
Tyler Ennis

2 other players...I'd say from Dwight Powell, Robert Sacre, Kyle Wiltjer, Brady Heslip, Olivier Hanlan, Sim Bhullar...

So somebody that watched this game please give me a breakdown of how our boy looked. From what I can tell by skimming through this thread he was awesome. Am I right???

I thought he played great running PG for the Canadian National team, you couldn't tell he hasn't even started college yet if the announcers didn't keep praising how well he was playing for an 18 year old. Dozen points and some nice passes for assist attempts he is going to be a treat to watch this season, seems polished for his age. Can already tell good things will happen when he has the ball, just cut down the TO's and Fouls.

21 Minutes 12 Pts 2 Rebounds 2 Assists 2 TO's 3 Fouls

Boxscore link: http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/basketball/results-men-b-02.htm

He looked very poised for being the youngest player on the floor. He was very fluid. Always seemed sure of what he was doing. Didn't try to force anything and he let the game come to him. Seemed aware of where each of his temmates were and as I said in an earlier post, he surveyed the court in the same manner as Tyler Ulis. One obvious advantage he'll have on Ulis is he'll be able to penetrate the defense and score inside. He had a nice And-1 where he backed down the defender, who by the way, was Dominican Republic's best defender (Liggins type agressiveness) and gave a nice pump fake and went up and under for the score drawing the foul. Didn't seem rattled one bit playing against men/ pros who were much older and more experienced. All in all, even though it was the Domincan Republic, he was very impressive and will be on the floor 32-35 minutes for us next season.

Reactions: UK_Johnny24
Thanks for all the comments. This is going to help him when he gets here at UK. Sounds like a very good player.

2 assists sounds low. Seems I read about more than that, and I know I saw one of them myself, and I missed most of it. I saw the Vine of the pass to Bennett for the dunk, and there was one he passed at least half the distance of the court to a player for a breakaway basket. Surely he had more than that.

I thought he played great running PG for the Canadian National team, you couldn't tell he hasn't even started college yet if the announcers didn't keep praising how well he was playing for an 18 year old. Dozen points and some nice passes for assist attempts he is going to be a treat to watch this season, seems polished for his age. Can already tell good things will happen when he has the ball, just cut down the TO's and Fouls.

21 Minutes 12 Pts 2 Rebounds 2 Assists 2 TO's 3 Fouls

Boxscore link: http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/basketball/results-men-b-02.htm

I think they missed a couple of assists. I seen 4, myself (whoever posts for CoachCal.com seen 4 also). Plus, some of the players missed open shots on good passes, so he could have had more. I think more importantly to me, he went 5/7 from the field while making a lot of plays. He'll be very good in college.

That said, 4 assists with the potential for more in 21 minutes is solid.

Also, I noticed they didn't count the tip-out to Bennett (which resulted in 2 points immediately after Bennett caught it, he was right under the goal when Murray tipped it to him for the last play of the 1st half), it doesn't count for a rebound or an assist, but it does have the same effect as both combined. He attacked the offensive glass, got his hand on the ball after it rimmed out, put it in Bennett's hands, and Bennett converted.
Solid hustle play, and he made several of them throughout the game.

Reactions: lacocat
Murray with the fourth most minutes even though he didn't start.

Brady Heslip with 24 points in 23 minutes....5 three pointers....pretty good showing for the 30 year old recent graduate from Baylor.

He's a great story at Gonzaga, but I just don't see a way that Kyle Wiltjer would make the 2016 team. Too much depth ahead of him. They would be crazy to not have Lyles and Murray on the team though. Those guys are a core part of the future of the team, along with Thompson, Wiggins and Stauskas.

He's a great story at Gonzaga, but I just don't see a way that Kyle Wiltjer would make the 2016 team..

This. If Wlltjer's only the 12th man on their friggin pan am team--which is essentially just their JV team--then why would anyone think he can make the roster for their A team events like the Olympics or World Cup?

Hell, this might be the end of Wiltjer's Canada career. There are so many more talented Canadian players coming up out there that I've a hard time seeing him make the roster for future events.

ADVERTISEMENT