ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Patrick Baldwin, Jr?

Finna_Go_HAM

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 25, 2022
Franklin TN
Remember Patrick Baldwin, Jr., the #8 recruit in the class of 2021 (6'-9", 205 lb. PF)? He chose to play for his father at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, turning down offers from UK, Kansas, Duke, Illinois, UCLA, etc... Well, Dad was fired Wednesday after the Panthers finished 10-21 overall and 8-14 in the Horizon League this season. Patrick, Jr. only played 11/31 games due to a recurring ankle injury (and three games for Covid). He averaged 12 points and 5.8 rebounds per game, and I dare say this is the first time I thought of him in almost a year.
https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...r-five-seasons-coach-uw-milwaukee/9340848002/

I saw something the other day that reminded me of him and I looked him up and saw these same things. I remember being happy he went there because it seemed he was down to them and Duke. Wonder if he will get drafted.

Granted he was playing for a bad team, but he had a brutally terrible year. Made an awful choice in going to UWM

Shot just 34% overall and 26% from three, more turnovers per game than assists, -13 on O vs. D rating.

I assume he enters the portal and tries to get healthy with a good team.

This kid is a PRIME example of WHY we haven't seen Sharpe play this year. Playing exposes all of your flaws if you aren't ready.

Has anyone seen this kid on ANY NBA Draft boards?? I haven't. But Sharpe, who hasn't played one minute, is in EVERY top 10 I've seen.

Granted he was playing for a bad team, but he had a brutally terrible year. Made an awful choice in going to UWM

Shot just 34% overall and 26% from three, more turnovers per game than assists, -13 on O vs. D rating.

Playing for your dad is never a terrible choice. Basketball is secondary when you dad is concerned. Your dad is not going to be around forever, and the more time you can spend around him the better off you are in the long run. I think he made the right decision. The whole world doesn't revolve around basketball. Some people put family over basketball.

Playing for your dad is never a terrible choice. Basketball is secondary when you dad is concerned. Your dad is not going to be around forever, and the more time you can spend around him the better off you are in the long run. I think he made the right decision. The whole world doesn't revolve around basketball. Some people put family over basketball.

You are looking at this with a simple mindset. Let me be devils advocate.

He chose his fathers team because he wanted to be the man and not be pushed as hard by another coach. His father told him he had to play for him in order to get the coaching job.

World isn't sunshine and rainbows.. there is always another motivating factor than "he did it for family"

This is a good point, but if my father was coaching at Transy and I had an offer for UK, he would tell me to go to UK. This doesn't even consider NIL.

Reminds me of Makur at Howard last year. Balllyhooed recruit going to a mid major, only to be riddled with injuries and no real team success.

What you say sounds right, but actually it’s wrong. $$$$$$$$$$$$ Mean more to most people.

Loved my dad and he never would have allowed me to play for him and turn down money. My dad was a carpenter and didn’t like any sport, so playing for him would not been a smart decision. Just wondering what type a prick are you to nose in on my post to someone else?

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk

He's still projected to go #25 so it's possible that he goes to the draft instead

This is a good point, but if my father was coaching at Transy and I had an offer for UK, he would tell me to go to UK. This doesn't even consider NIL.
What if you didn't go to Transy and your father died halfway through the season. Would you not have wanted to spend that time with him instead of Calipari ? I would. My father meant more to me than all the Calipari s in the world plus any basketball team.

He’s been injured all year so I can see him going to the portal and transferring

What if you didn't go to Transy and your father died halfway through the season. Would you not have wanted to spend that time with him instead of Calipari ? I would. My father meant more to me than all the Calipari s in the world plus any basketball team.
Not to be an ass, but with this logic where does it stop? When do you ever leave home and begin your own life? You live every day as if it’s your last but you can’t be hostage that there may not be a tomorrow. If what was best was for Patrick to play for another coach that’s the decision that should’ve been made.

Not to be an ass, but with this logic where does it stop? When do you ever leave home and begin your own life? You live every day as if it’s your last but you can’t be hostage that there may not be a tomorrow. If what was best was for Patrick to play for another coach that’s the decision that should’ve been made.
How can you tell Patrick what was the best decision for him ? He chose what for him was the best decision. Not everyone in the world is not money hungry. Some people put family first. You got the rest of your life to make money, you have a very small window to play for your dad.

Did his father die? No? So what point are you trying to make?

• Haha
Reactions: Gromcat
How can you tell Patrick what was the best decision for him ? He chose what for him was the best decision. Not everyone in the world is not money hungry. Some people put family first. You got the rest of your life to make money, you have a very small window to play for your dad.
He didn’t. He said if. You are awful.

Reactions: UK CAT in FL
For a couple of weeks now when I think about potential transfers especially at the four position I thought of Baldwin. But I said nah he's playing for his dad so he'll stick around there if he doesn't get drafted. But now something to think about. I have seen him on various draft boards as high as 14th

What if he died after I signed and then I was locked into playing for Transy. What if he was coaching Alice Lloyd, should I have went there too?

I don't care where the kid went to school, but he is not a saint because he played for his dad, nor would he be a villain if he didn't.

Reactions: JFCats22
What if he died after I signed and then I was locked into playing for Transy. What if he was coaching Alice Lloyd, should I have went there too?

I don't care where the kid went to school, but he is not a saint because he played for his dad, nor would he be a villain if he didn't.
Yes if my dad was coaching at Alice Lloyd I would go to Alice Lloyd. If you are worried about making money heck Todd May got drafted out of Pikeville if you are good enough the NBA will find you.

This kid is a PRIME example of WHY we haven't seen Sharpe play this year. Playing exposes all of your flaws if you aren't ready.

Has anyone seen this kid on ANY NBA Draft boards?? I haven't. But Sharpe, who hasn't played one minute, is in EVERY top 10 I've seen.
Bet that's why Sharpe didn't play!

Reactions: catben
So maybe Sharpe didn’t play because he really wants to play for his dad and C3 ain’t no Shannon Sharpe…..It’s a behind the scenes drama type of deal?

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
So maybe Sharpe didn’t play because he really wants to play for his dad and C3 ain’t no Shannon Sharpe…..It’s a behind the scenes drama type of deal?
Shannon has high standards lol. I’m gonna tweet him to see how he feels about his son.

UK could be a landing spot if he enters the portal, according to some. Baldwin and aoscar would be a lethal combo. You could play 4,out 1 in with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT