ADVERTISEMENT

Reed only took 1 shot tonight and didn’t score

I "no" nothing about basketball.

I think you mean "know" Who has the reading comprehension issue?

Way to own yourself.
You have too much hate in your heart for your fellow Cat fans. You need to step away from the keyboard and take a breather.

• Haha
Reactions: Cats192
Multiple players were getting torched individually. We were up 4 when Reed went out with about 5 minutes to go, and eventually we were down 1. Whatever problems we were having defensively didn’t go away when Reed hit the bench.

To Cal’s credit, he eventually figured out that Reed needed to be on the court in winning time.
It’s a team effort for how bad we guarded. Reed isn’t the cause of that alone.

Reactions: westerncat and Aike
He got absolutely torched through most of regulation. Bad games happen and it showed maturity on his part to come back and perform the way he did in OT.
Everyone got abused.
Would have thought someone would have thought of trying something else.

Reactions: dl51344
Yeah, sometimes that happens. One fact doesn't change another. You obviously know nothing about basketball. I'm sorry you're dumb.
You literally can't use the correct word, and I'm the dumb one. I'll block you and you can feel like you won. Sound good pumpkin?

Cal doesn't " get " people more shots. Cal runs no set offense. Reed will never be in an offense like his dad was when he had pick after pick set for him. In Cal's " offense " if you can't create your own shot, you're screwed
Not this year. There have been many sets that lead to wide open 3s particularly with the extra passes. Not a cal fan but he has made some important changes this year.

He got absolutely torched through most of regulation. Bad games happen and it showed maturity on his part to come back and perform the way he did in OT.
To be fair: Dillingham, Wagner, Mitchell & Reeves ALL really struggled on defense. The guards had terrible close outs, Mitchell couldn’t switch on screens properly and Reeves was getting taken off the dribble consistently. Edwards and Thiero the only consistent guys on D all night. Wagner played good on-ball defense but off ball was poor.

Reactions: westerncat
You have too much hate in your heart for your fellow Cat fans. You need to step away from the keyboard and take a breather.
Dude asks if I can read. Then gets called for using the wrong word. And I'm the one causing the problem. LOL

Reed played great. They said he had the best +/- on the team and he showed you can still impact the game without scoring or forcing shots. He only took one shot because he isn’t selfish and is a team player that can impact the game other ways. He tried to get others going. He doesn’t have to go 0-6, or 1-12, or 7-25 shooting to try to get his. Even when he scored 25 the last game, he still only took 10 shots. Ppl trying to bash Reed don’t appreciate a team player that wants to see others get going.

Last edited:
That’s for sure! He could be even better offensively if we had a 5 on the floor with him, the post just isn’t his game!
100%.

He's also having to spend so much energy guarding the other team's 5, which is often a bigger guy than Mitchell.

He's missing some of those free throws due to being tired.

I think he'll be even more effective when he can guard guys his own size.

I think the proper response is "He did what it takes to win,"

Doubt Cal said "don't shoot" after that 25 point game.
Doing what needs to be done to win is the reason why he is the most dependable player on the team. He just rarely ever does dumb stuff. If he was not a team player he would have been jacking up 3s from every spot on the court.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
To be fair: Dillingham, Wagner, Mitchell & Reeves ALL really struggled on defense. The guards had terrible close outs, Mitchell couldn’t switch on screens properly and Reeves was getting taken off the dribble consistently. Edwards and Thiero the only consistent guys on D all night. Wagner played good on-ball defense but off ball was poor.

Reed had a very controlling affect on the game, then he is taken out
Then put back in at cruch time

Reed only took one shot because they had him covered up on D. He had a couple looks that he could’ve taken, but that was about it. Good news is, he found other ways to impact the game positively. And, if they are covering Reed up, then our other guys are getting lesser defenders, which helps them score.

We have four really good guards, and it is awesome to watch our team this year. I have looked forward to every game we have played so far. That’s something I haven’t been able to say the last few years.

Reed played great. They said he had the best +/- on the team and he showed you can still impact the game without scoring or forcing shots. He only took one shot because he ins’t selfish and is a team player that can impact the game other ways. He tried to get others going. He doesn’t have to go 0-6, or 1-12, or 7-25 shooting to try to get his. Even when he scored 25 the last game, he still only took 10 shots. Ppl trying to bash Reed don’t appreciate a team player that wants to see others get going.
I'm not here to criticize Reed.

I thought Reed had a good game. He contributed to winning despite not scoring.

But I don't think Reed's 1 shot is a failure on Cal, which is what the OP seems to be implying. We have a lot of guys that can shoot. Guys are going to have nights where they don't have get a lot of shots. That's not Cal slighting them. That's variance, matchups, whatever.

Meanwhile Cal’s fanboys telling us how great Wagner was in a game where he was the most inefficient offensive player on the court and played hero ball throughout.

He should never be taking 17 shots.
Inefficient is what the fan club wants to post about. They want to talk about total points without talking about the number of shots taken to get those points.

Multiple players were getting torched individually. We were up 4 when Reed went out with about 5 minutes to go, and eventually we were down 1. Whatever problems we were having defensively didn’t go away when Reed hit the bench.

To Cal’s credit, he eventually figured out that Reed needed to be on the court in winning time.
We are better with Shepard in the game - I thought his D was fine he contested shots just had buzzards luck
All of them get beat off dribble
Lack of showing or hedging on high screens is why St Joe was able to get down hill so easy
We are so poorly Coached it’s laughable
Of course they haven’t had time to work on it

Cal doesn't " get " people more shots. Cal runs no set offense. Reed will never be in an offense like his dad was when he had pick after pick set for him. In Cal's " offense " if you can't create your own shot, you're screwed
The contrast in generating open shots for shooters was the most obvious difference between the two teams. We had to work much harder on defense to cover their shooter than they did to cover our shooters. For Cal, it all about one on one.

And should’ve been in there a lot more at the end of the game
No kidding, no Shep the last 4 of regulation than not until 2 left in OT. The best player so far this year, best shooter, passer plus. Cal is so stubborn. He wants DJ to be the man, not Shep.

DJ about gave this game away. Missed 2 layups to end regulation. Thank God Mitchell was there for the putback on one.

Sometimes I think if Reed scored 30 points and played all 40 minutes but we lost some of you would be happy and say it was a great game.

Reactions: bbncal02
Reed wasn’t looking to shoot tonight for some reason. The only shot he took he was so open he had to take it.
Mitchell and Reed passed up a few great looks from 3, especially in the second half. I don't know if it were coaching or what that informed those choices, but we generally ended up with worse shooters taking the shot or a tough drive.

Reactions: dl51344
Yes we will, Mitchell is a great player but he’s no rebounding/Paint protector.
Agreed. I love what Mitchell brings. A dude with nice post moves that can step out and hit some 3’s is a huge asset. But we need one (or both, God willing) of Z or Bradshaw something fierce right now.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT