ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Arena Atmosphere

FredTX

Sophomore
Sep 4, 2001
Perhaps you had to be there, as I was, to witness the fan reactions and involvement in organized songs, chants and cheers to appreciate the level of fan interest and involvement in their team. Stand leaders worked without letup throughout the entire game to keep a large end section organized and involved. The fans in that section worked almost as hard as the players. There were times when the arena music was keyed to certain songs and cheers and the entire arena acted as one while the arena's scoreboard screens displayed the band, the fans in step with the band music. During the band performances, the screens displayed closeups of certain band members performing.

When a UK player was about to shoot from the free throw line, the entire Aggie fandom roared in sinc with drum beats. Aggies all over the arena were up and down, up and down following keys from the PA system. In short, they were the hardest working bunch of fans I have ever seen at a game anywhere.

And last, in the concourse as we were leaving, Aggie fans made a point of complimenting our team. I didn't think the Cats deserved any compliments but they were the winners and so the Aggie fans freely gave them credit.

Big shout out to all the UK fans there!!! You could be heard very clearly, and loudly the whole game on the radio broadcast. Great job!!!

Well, yeah, I would imagine so

They spend half their lives at "Cheer Practice" stoking the bonfire and drinking the night before a football game

What is more impressive to me is a place half-full of Kentucky fans audible over the TV set yelling "Blue! White!" and "Go Big Blue" in someone else's arena as the game is played

That to me is ORGANIZATION!!!

Originally posted by martycat1:

The hardest working fans I have ever seen sit in the uppers at Rupp.
Apparently they need to work harder in order to sit in the lowers.

Originally posted by FredTX:
Perhaps you had to be there, as I was, to witness the fan reactions and involvement in organized songs, chants and cheers to appreciate the level of fan interest and involvement in their team. Stand leaders worked without letup throughout the entire game to keep a large end section organized and involved. The fans in that section worked almost as hard as the players. There were times when the arena music was keyed to certain songs and cheers and the entire arena acted as one while the arena's scoreboard screens displayed the band, the fans in step with the band music. During the band performances, the screens displayed closeups of certain band members performing.

When a UK player was about to shoot from the free throw line, the entire Aggie fandom roared in sinc with drum beats. Aggies all over the arena were up and down, up and down following keys from the PA system. In short, they were the hardest working bunch of fans I have ever seen at a game anywhere.

And last, in the concourse as we were leaving, Aggie fans made a point of complimenting our team. I didn't think the Cats deserved any compliments but they were the winners and so the Aggie fans freely gave them credit.
I know an A&M grad, and they are pretty reasonable and cordial fans. Somehow, they don't quite fit in with a lot of the SEC arenas. However, at the end of the game, all you could hear was, "Go Big Blue." Good job, Fred, and everyone else that made the trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT