ADVERTISEMENT

Reed a OAD (poll)

What do you think the chances/odds/probability of Reed leaving after this year are?

• 90-100% gone

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • 70-90% gone

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • 50-70% gone

Votes: 30 16.4%
  • 20-50% gone

Votes: 36 19.7%
  • 0-20% gone

Votes: 27 14.8%

• Total voters

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
IMO, if you say he 100% is staying or leaving (& your last name isn't Sheppard), then you are just a blow-hard who likes to be the center of attention.
Almost nothing is ever 100% or 0% likely to happen. But things can be close.
I think Reed doesn't even know today what he will do. That he's probably not thinking about it yet. And I doubt he's discussed it with his parents yet.
But that's just my opinion.

But we are BBN, so we obsess about anything UK basketball related. That's what we do!

I do think whether he leaves or not, even if he is pretty sure he will return, that he will enter his name in, do a few workouts, just to get input from pro teams on what they think he needs to do to come into the league and make an immediate impact.

I think he will go unless UK NIL can match or come close to matching his first year nba salary.

I said 90-100% gone. If the projections are accurate, he'd be foolish not to go. He can always get a degree - and degrees are over rated anyway. His stock will never be higher.

Oscar made a mistake coming back and it would be an even bigger mistake for Sheppard to come back if he's a lottery pick.

I think he is going to go. If he's as high as projected right now, you have to go. Yes NIL is a chunk of change, but around 25 million over 3 years is hard to say no to. I highly doubt NIL can reach that (8.3 million for a year). Plus the biggie is the contract after 3 years. I think he will strike while the iron is hot. But selfishly I want him back. Would be the biggest and most popular returnee, most popular player in UK history.

If he really is a top 10 projected pick, he is gone.

Who has been a top 10 projected pick and came back to college in the last 10 years?
Kyle flipowski last year.

Ill say this as a kid coming in i hoped Reed would just not transfer out bc i thought cal would snub the Ky kid the UK fanbase basically “forced” him to recruit. Hes projected top 5 thats crazy what a way to outperform expectations. If he stays he will compete for my favorite UK player all time. Its a weak draft class so if he stays he could fall hard in the coming years. I do think its possible Reed is the type of kid who wants to be a UK legend and has potential to come back, that said im not holding my breath. Cal kicking Reed out bc of draft status and not transfer wasnt on my bingo card. Love the way he plays fundamental ball and has such anticipation defensively hes basically the tim duncan of combo guards. He should shoot more when dished and not default to DJ wagner iso so much

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua
His family isn't (one would assume) hurting for money, and both parents being athletes may be able to convince him to focus on his education for at least one more year. Being in college as a teenager is a fleeting window.

Honestly, it's easy to say from my POV, but I can't imagine forgoing college as a kid – even for millions. I wanted to learn and grow as a person in college. Reed might have a similar mindset and he's the only one on this team I think consistently gives a damn about the name on the front of the jersey. I'm leaning towards him being gone, but there's always a chance. Nobody thought Orton was going pro or that PJ was coming back. So who knows?

His family isn't (one would assume) hurting for money, and both parents being athletes may be able to convince him to focus on his education for at least one more year. Being in college as a teenager is a fleeting window.

Honestly, it's easy to say from my POV, but I can't imagine forgoing college as a kid – even for millions. I wanted to learn and grow as a person in college. Reed might have a similar mindset and he's the only one on this team I think consistently gives a damn about the name on the front of the jersey. I'm leaning towards him being gone, but there's always a chance. Nobody thought Orton was going pro or that PJ was coming back. So who knows?
Cal isn't hurting for money either, yet he won't walk away from this job he doesn't care to do. Point is, people don't just pass up that much money just because they happen to be "not hurting for money", whatever that means.

• Haha
I look at it this way. I would love to have him back, selfishly. But he and his family will decide when the time is right. I do think that of all the kids going to the draft early, Reed is probably more concerned about playing for Kentucky and not as concerned right now about the $$$. And if he were to come back and win a championship, and as popular as he is...he could run for (and win!) governor, senator, etc. from Kentucky (after the NBA, of course)! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

• Love

Ill say this as a kid coming in i hoped Reed would just not transfer out bc i thought cal would snub the Ky kid the UK fanbase basically “forced” him to recruit. Hes projected top 5 thats crazy what a way to outperform expectations. If he stays he will compete for my favorite UK player all time. Its a weak draft class so if he stays he could fall hard in the coming years. I do think its possible Reed is the type of kid who wants to be a UK legend and has potential to come back, that said im not holding my breath. Cal kicking Reed out bc of draft status and not transfer wasnt on my bingo card. Love the way he plays fundamental ball and has such anticipation defensively hes basically the tim duncan of combo guards. He should shoot more when dished and not default to DJ wagner iso so much

Filipowski was projected mid to late 1st round

Nobody that is projected top 10 ever come back

Cal isn't hurting for money either, yet he won't walk away from this job he doesn't care to do. Point is, people don't just pass up that much money just because they happen to be "not hurting for money", whatever that means.
If that's what you got out of my comment then there's not much I can do to help ya out. ✌️

If he really is a top 10 projected pick, he is gone.

Who has been a top 10 projected pick and came back to college in the last 10 years?
The answer to your second question will provides a minimal, perhaps nonexistent list of names.

You know what else provides a previously nonexistent list of names? A Kentucky-born kid whose parents played for Kentucky, including a dad who won two national titles here. There is also an NIL reality now (albeit, it's scraps compared to an NBA deal) that negates many of the former guy you're trying to compare Sheppard's decision to.

If you are going to play up the first question you posed, you have to equally weigh the second.

I originally didn't think he'd go, but after his 32 point performance, I think he goes top 5. Can't stay if that's the case. His athleticism will never change and his BB skills are already elite. Hard to maintain a 50% 3 point shot.

I’d bet not a single person who thinks Reed returns would put $100 on it! And if any of you truly believe it that you would put $100 on it, I’ll give each and every one of you 2/1 odds!

What’s that saying, poop in one hand and wish in the other, and see which one fills up first?🤣

He should go. Any player in the lottery projection or around there, should go to the draft.

But the reason I chose 50 to 70 is because I could see Reed wanting to build a bit of a legacy here. 6 months ago, he probably wasn't even sure if the NBA would want him, so in his mind he was figuring to play here for several years. His NIL earnings could honestly top ANYONE in college next year that isn't one of those only-fans types, like Olivia Dunn. He's going to make several million.

That and with his parents playing here and what this means to him, I could see him coming back.

The kid is a clear cut top ten prospect. IMO top 5, at those type of projections you have to go.

Yes NIL is big, but the NBA can make you into a world wide brand. Those top ten contracts, combined with getting to your second contract faster is just foolish to pass up.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcats1st
I really don't follow mock drafts much at all, but is this proving to be a good or bad decision for his draft stock? I dont know what mocks are good or not, but nbadraft.net has him at 19, cbssports has him at 15, tankathon has him at 12, Bleacher Report has him at 9, nba.com has him at 9.

So if he was top 10 last year the absolute best case scenario is he delayed his second contract a year and missed out potentially tens of millions of dollars over the course of his career. Worst case scenario is he did that plus cost himself draft position.

I can't imagine a world where someone would rather get a guaranteed $15 million contract, when they could potentially eventually be a Kentucky legend instead.

did anyone see in what would be his last game in rupp any indication of a guy playing his last home game for his family school? I didn’t. If that’s how reed ends his rupp career unless some miracle happens and we win a title he will be forgotten like all oadrs. He will never have his jersey hang in rupp. He will be a notch or two below a Darius miller. I just don’t see Jeff or Stacey condoning that.

did anyone see in what would be his last game in rupp any indication of a guy playing his last home game for his family school? I didn’t. If that’s how reed ends his rupp career unless some miracle happens and we win a title he will be forgotten like all oadrs. He will never have his jersey hang in rupp. He will be a notch or two below a Darius miller. I just don’t see Jeff or Stacey condoning that.
Are Jeff and Stacey bigger fans of UK or of their son?

The answer to your second question will provides a minimal, perhaps nonexistent list of names.

You know what else provides a previously nonexistent list of names? A Kentucky-born kid whose parents played for Kentucky, including a dad who won two national titles here. There is also an NIL reality now (albeit, it's scraps compared to an NBA deal) that negates many of the former guy you're trying to compare Sheppard's decision to.

If you are going to play up the first question you posed, you have to equally weigh the second.
This is what I’ve said all along there is no comp for reed Shepard. When the season began he was severely underrated now I believe he is vastly overrated. He is likely projected a top 10 pick because he has shown an edge other college players typically don’t and it’s because of his motivation to win a title for his home state. How does that look in the nba workouts? Can he get to that max deal on the second contract playing for a bottom dweller with limited help and pressure away from home. None of this is considered by uk fans. Only he is top 10 pick so he must go. Like a bunch of cal programmed robots. Ultimately when it all shakes out I don’t see him being a top 10 pick. There are a lot of nba ready guys. Reed is two years away imo physically. So he’s gonna get drafted then expected to put a franchise on his back while giving up the opportunity to be a legend at UK. That’s a recipe for long term failure because to get that Mac deal you gave to be an impact player day 1. The reality is reed is somewhere between where people thought in the preseason and now. If he was run of the mil non legacy playing at say VA he would have had a good year but not this good. I’m telling you there are two things he had going for him. Hitting the ground running as a freshman because of his intense knowledge of being born into the family and playing for his hometown school. I remember when feldhaus pelfrey farmer played out of their minds in 92 because of the name on the front. Not one of those guys sniffed the nba. That will get exposed and knock him down several notches in the workouts BUT I don’t think he even declares unless we win a title.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT