ADVERTISEMENT

Reece v/s Clark Part Two : POSITIVE Thread (Somebody had to do it)

catsfanbgky

All-American
Oct 18, 2006
Somebody had to restoke the fire / debate. Several people has stated Reece was terrible (basketball talent). As a person, I agree. BUT rookie of the year is a LOT closer than some would think. And Ticket sales DOES NOT factor in this, who would you choose ?

Reece : 14 PPG / 11.7 RPG / 1.9 Assist / 1.4 steals / 1.8 TO's per game / 33.3% 3FG% / 41% FG%

Clark : 16 PPG / 5.7 RPG / 7.1 Assist / 1.3 steals / 5.6 TO"s per game / 33.7 3FG% / 49% FG%

Reece leads the WNBA in rebounds per game, not just rookies. Clark's 3FG% is on a lot more volume shooting so I am not even trying to say Reece is even close to on Clark's level shooting wise as the numbers suggest. 33.3 for Reece, 33.7 for Clark.

Take all of the politics, personalities, popularity, and ticket sales out, just basketball stats and impact on the overall game to be considered, I find it tough to pick a clear cut winner. Completely unbiased and going off in game ONLY.

Who you got ? Be HONEST and leave the BS out, keep it a basketball debate.

Reece isn’t really all that good. Just a lot of put backs and she misses a ton of those. There’s no one in the WNBA in charge of making these decisions who would draft Reece over Clark if it were held today. I think that pretty much sums it up. Reece is really only known because of the manufactured” rivalry” with Clark. Clark is known for basketball.

Reece is a good player but she’s not great. Clark has the ability to be great at a very elite level.

Last edited:
Somebody had to restoke the fire / debate. Several people has stated Reece was terrible (basketball talent). As a person, I agree. BUT rookie of the year is a LOT closer than some would think. And Ticket sales DOES NOT factor in this, who would you choose ?

Reece : 14 PPG / 11.7 RPG / 1.9 Assist / 1.4 steals / 1.8 TO's per game / 33.3% 3FG% / 41% FG%

Clark : 16 PPG / 5.7 RPG / 7.1 Assist / 1.3 steals / 5.6 TO"s per game / 33.7 3FG% / 49% FG%

Reece leads the WNBA in rebounds per game, not just rookies. Clark's 3FG% is on a lot more volume shooting so I am not even trying to say Reece is even close to on Clark's level shooting wise as the numbers suggest. 33.3 for Reece, 33.7 for Clark.

Take all of the politics, personalities, popularity, and ticket sales out, just basketball stats and impact on the overall game to be considered, I find it tough to pick a clear cut winner. Completely unbiased and going off in game ONLY.

Reese averages that many rebounds in part because she pulls down so many of her own missed shots near the basket. The other players averaging over 10 RPG in the WNBA have over 50 FG% except for Napheesa Collier (47 FG%), who takes more midrange to outside shots than the others. Reese shoots 41% with a lot of paint cleanup between herself, Cardoso, and the rest of Chicago's awful shooting team.

Clark just had the first ever triple-double by a rookie. She turns the ball over too much, but she makes her teammates better than Reese does. Only an injury will keep Clark from Rookie of the Year.

Reese averages that many rebounds in part because she pulls down so many of her own missed shots near the basket. The other players averaging over 10 RPG in the WNBA have over 50 FG% except for Napheesa Collier (47 FG%), who takes more midrange to outside shots than the others. Reese shoots 41% with a lot of paint cleanup between herself, Cardoso, and the rest of Chicago's awful shooting team.

Clark just had the first ever triple-double by a rookie. She turns the ball over too much, but she makes her teammates better than Reese does. Only an injury will keep Clark from Rookie of the Year.

Yea it’s not even close really. Reece scores a ton from her own out backs and gets a ton of boards from it. it’s kind of funny to even consider that kind of thing elite.

Clark all day and I’m not sure it’s even up for debate. The media has created a narrative and it’s why Reece is so well known. Shes really not that good, at least not in the elite category.

I am kind of surprised/impressed how well Reese is playing though. There's a reason she was highly touted in one of the strongest women's classes in a while.

She will get that FG% up, so while the rebounds will drop a bit, she will make up for it in points scored and efficiency. I expect her to be a pretty great player who seems to be on track for all-star appearances.

But unfortunately, yeah, she's going up again CC who, to me, is proving to be just about every bit worth the hype, especially after a triple double as a rookie.

Last edited:
I am kind of surprised/impressed how well Reese is playing though. There's a reason she was highly touted in one of the strongest women's classes in a while.

She will get that FG% up, so whole the rebounds will drop a bit, she will make up for it in points scored and efficiency.

But unfortunately, yeah, she's going up again CC who, to me, is proving to be just about every bit worth the hype, especially after a triple double as a rookie.

Yea that’s for sure Reece has been better than I figured she would be. I don’t watch it hardly at all, but there’s so many clips going around it’s hard to miss right now so that’s how I even know lol.

Yea it’s not even close really. Reece scores a ton from her own out backs and gets a ton of boards from it. it’s kind of funny to even consider that kind of thing elite.

Clark all day and I’m not sure it’s even up for debate. The media has created a narrative and it’s why Reece is so well known. Shes really not that good, at least not in the elite category.
Clark was awarded an assist for passing the ball to a player in the wing who was not in motion who then proceeds to drive to the basket and score. It's kind of like all the fake steals Michael Jordan got his rookie year.

I vote for the 50 million the league will lose this season.

Still hard for me to believe the women don’t want their goal lowered to around 9 feet. They want a smaller ball, shorter 3 point line, shorter everything but get easily triggered when the NBA players suggest a lowered goal. Being able to display athleticism is what’s really stopping the league from performing. People would like it a lot more if the goal was lowered. It would probably begin to turn a profit, but the woman say no, but pay us for a bad product anyway. It’s just sad that the only ones stopping the league from being popular and profitable are the players themselves.

She will get that FG% up, so while the rebounds will drop a bit, she will make up for it in points scored and efficiency. I expect her to be a pretty great player who seems to be on track for all-star appearances.

Reese benefits from having teams focus Cardoso and another big. Makes it easier to score. Reese just hit her first long range shot last night. She’s been under 40% under the basket for awhile now.

She’s a good rebounder but out of control and awkward by the rim. Like a middle school kid.

Reese game is ugly but it’s a close race . Reese has been better than I thought . I didn’t think she would be able to bully her way to points .

I’d vote Clark though . Both of them will have very good careers considering they are starting out like this with pretty much no offseason .

Reactions: chroix
I really don't think it's a very close race. The only stat Reece has an advantage in is rebounds. Reece is an excellent rebounder and most years, she likely would be the leader for ROTY. Unfortunately for her, CC is also a rookie this year.

CC averages more points, more assists, has a better assist-to-turnover ratio, and is the better free throw shooter. Plus, she makes her team better. The Fever's winning percentage last year was 33% and they are at 41% so far this year. On the other hand, the Sky's winning percentage is lower so far this year (42%) than last year (45%).

Lastly, while popularity shouldn't really factor into ROTY, it typically does. CC is the runaway winner in that category.

Reece is 2-6 on 3's this year. CC is 57-169 this year. I'm not sure how you can even try to compare their percentages. 🤷‍♂️

The only good thing the WNBA has done for me and my family is allow me to use it as a teaching tool for my nieces and nephews. It is a prime example of history repeating itself because so few of its influencers (players, coaches, etc) have actually studied history.

If they had studied history then they’d realize how harmful it is, to society, to be so blatantly racist towards Clark. Or maybe they have studied history and they’re doing this on purpose. Either way, it’s the 60’s-70’s all over again we’ve just switched which color we like better now.

Clark was awarded an assist for passing the ball to a player in the wing who was not in motion who then proceeds to drive to the basket and score. It's kind of like all the fake steals Michael Jordan got his rookie year.

I feel like this is just something a lot of PGs and playmakers sometimes get. And finding an open man who has a cut to the hoop is still much more skillful than rebounding your own miss.

I highly doubt the league is giving CC any more free assists than someone like Ionescu might also get.

Who gives a shit? This is women’s basketball you are talking about. No interest. I would rather watch a mongoose stalk and kill a black mamba than watch anything to do with women’s basketball. You really must be bored. No offense intended.

Reactions: flacat22
Who gives a shit? This is women’s basketball you are talking about. No interest. I would rather watch a mongoose stalk and kill a black mamba than watch anything to do with women’s basketball. You really must be bored. No offense intended.

Yea I mean I’m not into it either, but damn it’s everywhere right now so I’ve had to watch some of it. I also do support UK Hoops and want them to do well, but I really will only support it to a high level if they are actually elite. Not interested in tournament teams even elite 8 teams. Final fours / titles or bust. Hopefully that’s what Brooks is about to bring. I just think a program like UK should have dominating men’s and women’s basketball teams and its sheer laziness as to why we don’t. Now that all coaches want into the SEC / BIG10 I think that’s about to drastically change. .

Do I get an assist for inbounding the ball and the person I inbound it to goes down and scores dribbling the length of the court?
Sure, why not? Im sure you’re a good dude. So, I’ll give you two assists, since they went the length of the court. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: nptb
I feel like this is just something a lot of PGs and playmakers sometimes get. And finding an open man who has a cut to the hoop is still much more skillful than rebounding your own miss.

I highly doubt the league is giving CC any more free assists than someone like Ionescu might also get.
The player wasn't cutting to the basket. She was standing on the wing, received the ball, observed the situation and then made a move to the basket and scored.

Clark's game is the same as Ionescu's.

The player wasn't cutting to the basket. She was standing on the wing, received the ball, observed the situation and then made a move to the basket and scored.

Clark's game is the same as Ionescu's.

My point is that a lot of PGs, and yes, especially the star PGs will get some assists this way. I watched it happen even with a guy like James Harden on the Rockets.

I wouldn't worry too much about CC getting an extra assist every so often because of it. It happens almost nightly in the NBA.

It's also not nearly the same as a player getting double doubles because she's having severe early struggles getting the ball into the hoop and therefore is getting her own rebounds. These things aren't the same. Angel reese is getting her "stat" sometimes 3 or 4 times a night. CC is getting her extra assist.. what? Once a week? Maybe?.

Watching the WNBA is similiar to watching paint dry, now that's fun. The only sport on tv that's worse is grown men and women in shorts kicking around a ball with their feet trying to get it in a goal past 20 people for a couple hours and 2 score the whole game maybe. I'm sure this will be a very popular opinion.
I agree. I despise soccer. So boring.

Reactions: Killswitch24
The women play a more fundamentally sound version of the game, but the lack of athleticism really shows up on the defensive end.

This. It sometimes feels like watching a so-so men's highschool team. Which, isn't something I'm really itching to watch these days. The fundamentals are good, but it's still clunky at times. No dunks, no overt athleticism, not a lot of scoring. Not very efficient. I mean, looking at the box score from last nights CC game... neither team cracked 30% 3pt shooting and they combined to shoot like 43% fg and like 70% from the free throw line.

But I like that they are leaning into the theatrics. If I'm going to watch, it won't be because of this brand of basketball.. it will be to see the drama unfold with CC's play, watch a villain like Reese, see the on court theatrics, etc.

Reactions: chroix
Clark's game is different which is the only reason I care. I've always enjoyed watching the women's NCAA Final Four so I've seen all of the best players and teams. It's a bad sport for 95% of the time but then you get to see the best go at each other and it's at least entertaining to some degree.

Post players are not entertaining to watch in women's basketball. There have been really good ones like A'ja Wilson and Candace Parker and players like Taurasi, Bird, and Moore were solid. But I've never seen a woman be able to play like Clark with how she can transition, shoot quickly off the dribble and from long range. As you guys know, most women have this weird little pause and hop when they shoot from long range kind of like a middle school kid who doesn't have the strength yet.

This step back at :20 is impressive to me for women's basketball.

Clark's game is different which is the only reason I care. I've always enjoyed watching the women's NCAA Final Four so I've seen all of the best players and teams. It's a bad sport for 95% of the time but then you get to see the best go at each other and it's at least entertaining to some degree.

Post players are not entertaining to watch in women's basketball. There have been really good ones like A'ja Wilson and Candace Parker and players like Taurasi, Bird, and Moore were solid. But I've never seen a woman be able to play like Clark with how she can transition, shoot quickly off the dribble and from long range. As you guys know, most women have this weird little pause and hop when they shoot from long range kind of like a middle school kid who doesn't have the strength yet.

This step back at :20 is impressive to me for women's basketball.

What is crazy to me when you say this is that, the last two teams the Fever have played against, had two players who did the same thing Clark did in college. People were literally calling Plum, James Harden when she was at Washiington because of the step back lefty shot. Ionescu at Oregon is who Clark modeled her game after.

Reactions: dakid_0812
What is crazy to me when you say this is that, the last two teams the Fever have played against, had two players who did the same thing Clark did in college. People were literally calling Plum, James Harden when she was at Washiington because of the step back lefty shot. Ionescu at Oregon is who Clark modeled her game after.
I didn't say no one had ever done that. The two players you mentioned are incredible shooters. No doubt. Plum went to the rim more than Clark. Clark's logo threes is what people cared about. Not to mention, Clark's passing game is equally as impressive. She averaged over twice as many assists as Plum did and is third all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT