ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic 2025 Recruiting Class?

Frosh Bibby led Arizona to the title in 1997; so 4 frosh PGs in 49 years have titles
Yes and most of them were surrounded by veterans.

Bibby had Simon and Terry in the backcourt with him.

Jones had Cook.

Teague bad Lanb and Miller. And a transcendent player in AD.

McNamara had a transcendent player in Carmelo Anthony. Warrick was a veteran.

I respect your view but I disagree with you on this one. Our elite freshmen point guard/combo guards have been light year's better than our veterans. Wall, Knight, Fox, SGA, Maxey, Murray, etc. vs. veterans like Hagans, Harrow, Wheeler, and Mintz. Even a freshman, backup point guard Ulis is better than anything we'll have this year with Butler and Kriisa.

Give me the elite freshman point guards any day over anything the portal can provide. Peterson is a future top 10 pick for a reason.
Saul, Butler as a senior is way better than Ulis as a freshman. Ulis had a tremendous supporting cast which made him better. Butler is a heck of a player. His supporting cast is very good and I would say he has a better coach supporting him. We shall see. We both want the best for the cats. So glad the imposter is gone.

Put an asterisk beside Jones because much of the time Cook had the ball running the Point.
I think the argument isn't simply a matter of how many freshmen point guards have led their teams to a national title.

For one, how many freshmen point guards are at least of equal value as a veteran high-level point guard? Not many. That's part of the reason we don't see them winning the title very often.

Second, do you actually not take a Derrick Rose or John Wall because there haven't been many guys in their talent category?

I'm taking that type of talent regardless if I can, and so would anyone. The reality is that there just isn't that many guys in that level. Peterson might be, however, and he's certainly worth the recruiting investment if he's serious about UK being his "dream school."

Reactions: University-6
Yes and most of them were surrounded by veterans.

Bibby had Simon and Terry in the backcourt with him.

Jones had Cook.

Teague bad Lanb and Miller. And a transcendent player in AD.

McNamara had a transcendent player in Carmelo Anthony. Warrick was a veteran.
I haven't made the argument that you construct a roster out of only freshmen. I'm making the argument that it's sensible to take a guy like Derrick Rose (if you can) and surround him with veteran players.

I respect your view but I disagree with you on this one. Our elite freshmen point guard/combo guards have been light year's better than our veterans. Wall, Knight, Fox, SGA, Maxey, Murray, etc. vs. veterans like Hagans, Harrow, Wheeler, and Mintz. Even a freshman, backup point guard Ulis is better than anything we'll have this year with Butler and Kriisa.

Give me the elite freshman point guards any day over anything the portal can provide. Peterson is a future top 10 pick for a reason.
Find a Wayne Turner clone. In that I mean a player that can score from his position when needed but prides himself in distributing the ball with great passes. Quite thinking of anything traditional as pg guards going inside to find big men for layups. UK will be shooting 3 from every position and running teams into mistakes. 15 years of dribble drive was a waste. With Pope that scheme goes away.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Recruiting classes look a lot different now than a few short years ago. A good "class" now may have 2-3 incoming freshmen and at least as many transfers.

Ok, 3 out of the last 30, about what I figured. I’m good with an upperclassman PG then lol
Would you pass on a guy with Wall or Rose freshmen-level talent? How about a De'Aron level talent?

The reality is that many freshmen are simply not good enough to compete at a Final Four level, but some are. I don't think it's smart to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to how to construct a team. Yes, having an all-freshmen centered team is a bad idea, but surrounding a De'Aaron Fox-level point guard with veterans isn't the worst idea in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT