ADVERTISEMENT

Readum And Weep..

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
UK pitching on the night...260 pitches thrown..12 walks..13 hits ..5 wps. Absolutely abysmal! If I'm not mistaken isn't that the second game this week with 200+ pitches thrown?

Reactions: CATabulous
I was in the stands for the UofL game. Very sad ! Will say UofL is very good and their staff apparently have eye for talent.
Last night CATS were atrocious! UT IMO opinion is just an above average SEC team.
It's hard to take for true Blue fans! Looks to me like CATS recruiting specially last class is dismal! There have been times in the past when you could recruit as many as five d-1 players out of Fayette County.

Does UK baseball find itself in a Joker Phillips-type situation - new guy takes over a somewhat successful program, expected to build further but instead the program seems to be completely cratering -

Think about our pitchers. Individually put them on a scale...

Very Bad
Bad
Average
Good
Very Good

You can do this as a whole or per outing. Looking at per outing, how many of them have touched very good? Most, I'd say have been average to very bad and there have been few very good outings. Overall, outside of ZT I don't think any of them are very good.

Does UK baseball find itself in a Joker Phillips-type situation - new guy takes over a somewhat successful program, expected to build further but instead the program seems to be completely cratering -

I am not sure I would call Henderson's regime as "somewhat successful". In 8 seasons, only 2 regional appearances, no hosting, no super regionals appearances. 258–199 (.565) Overall 105–134 (.439) SEC. This is a bad season, but we had several bad seasons under Hendo.

I am not sure I would call Henderson's regime as "somewhat successful". In 8 seasons, only 2 regional appearances, no hosting, no super regionals appearances. 258–199 (.565) Overall 105–134 (.439) SEC. This is a bad season, but we had several bad seasons under Hendo.
Henderson was average at best. He wasn't this bad, but he was rarely good.

As I posted in another thread, there are going to be very few wins for this team in the conference with the remaining schedule. There are 3 non-conference games remaining (WKU, IU, and Michigan). Of those 3, the best chance for a win will be vs. WKU, but that won’t be a given. There is no question that this team has been disappointing. I hope Mingione can right the ship and turn things around next season.

As I posted in another thread, there are going to be very few wins for this team in the conference with the remaining schedule. There are 3 non-conference games remaining (WKU, IU, and Michigan). Of those 3, the best chance for a win will be vs. WKU, but that won’t be a given. There is no question that this team has been disappointing. I hope Mingione can right the ship and turn things around next season.

That WKU game is on the road as well.

Henderson was just good enough to survive. This is way too bad to stay around for long. Another year similar to this and Mingione has to go. Should consider it this year.
It will take a miracle for next years team to be as good as this one. I just dont see how you stop the bleeding... The old saying you can't get blood out of a turnip surely applies here.

I was looking over some stats last night. Admittedly, shouldnt have but I had a nice glass of bourbon and thought what the hell. What I found is depressing.

~ Team ERA for the season is 4.72. Opponents is 4.43. So not good. But not the worst either. Conference play is where it really sticks out. In conference play team era is 5.56 with opponents at 2.78.

~ UK pitchers have walked 81 batters and hit another 21 while striking out 160.

~ UK hitters on the other hand have walked only 54 and been hit by 18 pitches yet have struck out 202 times. Thats an average of 11 per game.

~ UK is being outscored by average of 7-3 per game. (conference)

~ 5 players who have 10+ starts in conference play are hitting below .220 with 3 below .200

~ UK has zero sac flys in 18 conference games.

I could go on and on but its Easter sunday. I have bbq in the smoker and I refuse to be sad today.

I was looking over some stats last night. Admittedly, shouldnt have but I had a nice glass of bourbon and thought what the hell. What I found is depressing.

~ Team ERA for the season is 4.72. Opponents is 4.43. So not good. But not the worst either. Conference play is where it really sticks out. In conference play team era is 5.56 with opponents at 2.78.

~ UK pitchers have walked 81 batters and hit another 21 while striking out 160.

~ UK hitters on the other hand have walked only 54 and been hit by 18 pitches yet have struck out 202 times. Thats an average of 11 per game.

~ UK is being outscored by average of 7-3 per game. (conference)

~ 5 players who have 10+ starts in conference play are hitting below .220 with 3 below .200

~ UK has zero sac flys in 18 conference games.

I could go on and on but its Easter sunday. I have bbq in the smoker and I refuse to be sad today.

31 unearned runs in SEC play, which is by far the most in the league.

Only Arkansas has issued more walks than UK pitchers.

26 errors in league play. .960 fielding percentage.

Henderson was just good enough to survive. This is way too bad to stay around for long. Another year similar to this and Mingione has to go. Should consider it this year.
If we don’t make the NCAA tournament next year, he’s out IMO.

Remember a sweep to a very bad filthy orange team in kville kast year cost us a bid in the tournament.
I think it was actually Vandy that swept us and likely kept us out.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10
If we don’t make the NCAA tournament next year, he’s out IMO.

I think it was actually Vandy that swept us and likely kept us out.

I think you are going to see us lose a whole lot of players this year. Everyone who can jump ship probably will. I don't know that for sure, but it's my guess. So, next year will likely be even worse.

It was both. Tennessee took 2 of 3 from us a year ago. They were a bad team. Losing the series to them really hurt us. We win that series and we just need to avoid a sweep at Vandy to get to .500. Instead, we lost it and needed two wins to stay alive at Vandy. We got none. So, really, both series killed us.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I’m not sure what you do. UK is two years from a super regional and honestly should have been in the tournament last year. That being said, UK is sitting at 20-20 with 15 games left. And 40 games in they still have no identity as an offense. Hasn’t settled on a consistent lineup. Can’t pitch although I don’t think the starting pitching was all that horrible this weekend. I’m not sure there’s much optimism going into next season. There’s zero hope for the NCAA tourney. The SEC is more than likely out as well. So, right now you play for pride. Depending on what goes on over the next 4 weeks should determine Minges future.

I’m not sure what you do. UK is two years from a super regional and honestly should have been in the tournament last year. That being said, UK is sitting at 20-20 with 15 games left. And 40 games in they still have no identity as an offense. Hasn’t settled on a consistent lineup. Can’t pitch although I don’t think the starting pitching was all that horrible this weekend. I’m not sure there’s much optimism going into next season. There’s zero hope for the NCAA tourney. The SEC is more than likely out as well. So, right now you play for pride. Depending on what goes on over the next 4 weeks should determine Minges future.
Mingione isnt going anywhere this year unless he takes another job... unless we have some kind of super, super recruiting class this year and they can come in and kill it I don't see next year being as good as this one and then I think you can color him gone.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I am shocked at Ming. Never thought I'd see a day when UK baseball was hapless under this regime. I didn't expect to win the SEC every year, but never thought that we would fail to even be competitive. Mitch has a real bind on his hands. We overreacted to year 1 (in hindsight) with the super, and I'm sure Mitch doesn't want to pull the plug. Ming is exactly what Mitch likes. Recruiter, high energy, devout Christian (not trying to debate whether this is important or not, but I think it's important to Mitch), wants to be at UK long-term, etc. I would be shocked if he were fired this year or next year, I just don't think there are enough high-dollar baseball boosters to force that kind of a move this early...

I am shocked at Ming. Never thought I'd see a day when UK baseball was hapless under this regime. I didn't expect to win the SEC every year, but never thought that we would fail to even be competitive. Mitch has a real bind on his hands. We overreacted to year 1 (in hindsight) with the super, and I'm sure Mitch doesn't want to pull the plug. Ming is exactly what Mitch likes. Recruiter, high energy, devout Christian (not trying to debate whether this is important or not, but I think it's important to Mitch), wants to be at UK long-term, etc. I would be shocked if he were fired this year or next year, I just don't think there are enough high-dollar baseball boosters to force that kind of a move this early...
Hope he has his next candidates on speed dial. I think we were all like you and surely thought this was a thing of the past ... I do not think he picked a really good staff around him and that he is willing to make changes ...I think that is a definite problem that needs addressing.

Don't think Minge will be fired after this season, however staff changes must be made. Pitching coach has to go, also need to exchange either Fanning or Guilliams for a teacher of defense, our fielding is gawd awful.

Hope he has his next candidates on speed dial. I think we were all like you and surely thought this was a thing of the past ... I do not think he picked a really good staff around him and that he is willing to make changes ...I think that is a definite problem that needs addressing.

I know who Mitch needs to have on speed dial.....but is building a program now in the SEC that will be very good next few years. Any guesses? First one does not count. LOL

I know who Mitch needs to have on speed dial.....but is building a program now in the SEC that will be very good next few years. Any guesses? First one does not count. LOL

I'm guessing Bohannon...?

I still have to go with Roger Williams as my number 1 pick. He has done an amazing job with the Louisville pitching staff and I would love for him to bring that here. UK now has a ballpark that is a bit more pitcher friendly than Cliff Hagan, so that can be a draw.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I'm guessing Bohannon...?

I still have to go with Roger Williams as my number 1 pick. He has done an amazing job with the Louisville pitching staff and I would love for him to bring that here. UK now has a ballpark that is a bit more pitcher friendly than Cliff Hagan, so that can be a draw.

I had not thought of Williams. Good pick. Of course I hope Minge survives & he prospers for many years. Right now the excuses are mounting...and so are the loses & frustration. I am almost certain that Belanger is gone. Rumors are flying that this is the case for now.

Bragga would be another option. Led Tenn Tech to a Regional last year. Are there any good to great assistant fielding coaches available? Correct the bullpen & the fielding issues, most of the problems are solved. Well, strike outs as well. LOL

Bragga would be another option. Led Tenn Tech to a Regional last year. Are there any good to great assistant fielding coaches available? Correct the bullpen & the fielding issues, most of the problems are solved. Well, strike outs as well. LOL

Matt Bragga was hired by Rice last year. They are having an awful year. 18-23 record with an RPI of 140. I think he can turn them around. He had some strong years with Tech, but also had some rough ones.

I don't really know how they breakdown the coaching staff in terms of duties or responsibilities. Obviously, the easiest one to point out is Belanger, who is responsible for pitching. After that, it becomes a bit more confusing. Most of Fanning's resume seems to be in regards to the outfielders and in recruiting. Guilliams' bio focuses solely on hitting, and I think his role is primarily to be hitting coach. Mingione's focuses just on his head coaching abilities and some recruiting stuff. So, it isn't really clear who teaches infield defense or base running.

Still, I think Belanger has to go. Under Fanning the outfielders haven't been bad, but recruiting may be lacking, but that depends on your philosophy I guess. If he coaches infield then he should probably also be finding a new job.

To replace Belanger, I would look at Jordan Tiegs. I doubt that he has ties to Mingione. However, Tiegs is from Indiana and is currently coaching pitchers at Indiana State. They currently have the 12th best ERA in the country (3.01). Indiana State is 29-9 with an RPI of 41.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
Give them time to develop... this years class is really their first full class!! Unfortunately because they have a ton of juco guys, it looks like a veteran group but I think they tried to stop gap from the losses of last year and it didn’t work. You can’t expect to win with 16 freshman in the SEC... these guys will get better... not all of them Will but if 75 percent of them do, it is a huge win.... JUCO guys almost always get better in year 2 in the SEC. I know it is a glass Half full look but give them a little time with what they have!

It will take a miracle for next years team to be as good as this one. I just dont see how you stop the bleeding... The old saying you can't get blood out of a turnip surely applies here.

If the 2020 is worse (or even not substantially improved over 2019), then I think we would have to have a new coach. We can't let what we have invested in this team go for naught.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT