ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings 4/29

I have trouble reconciling the fact that we're legitimately in great shape to host and get a national seed (we have the same number of SEC wins we had last year and we're number 3 in the RPI with 9 SEC games remaining) to feeling like we're in a tailspin and we need to win a series.

Reactions: Basil Cat
I have trouble reconciling the fact that we're legitimately in great shape to host and get a national seed (we have the same number of SEC wins we had last year and we're number 3 in the RPI with 9 SEC games remaining) to feeling like we're in a tailspin and we need to win a series.

I can certainly understand that. At this point, we probably need to win 4 more games to be a top 8 national seed. So we either need to sweep someone and then steal one from Vandy/Arky or we need to avoid sweeps and then win a series. If we fail to do that and we lose our last 5 series of the year, then that is pretty disappointing. Which is weird to say given that we'd still have more SEC wins than we've possibly ever had, but to fall short of something really great like a top 8 would still be disappointing.

Still, UK has been close the past two weekends. Close out a couple of games and we're looking at 18 wins instead of 16 right now and two more series wins. Hope they get their minds right coming back home this weekend and really play with that chip on their shoulder against Arkansas.

Disappointed that UK absolutely gave the series against SC away with the 4 HRs in the first game. Win that game and the series and it would feel a little different.

I do think they need to find a way to win 1 more series and avoid being swept.

I can certainly understand that. At this point, we probably need to win 4 more games to be a top 8 national seed. So we either need to sweep someone and then steal one from Vandy/Arky or we need to avoid sweeps and then win a series. If we fail to do that and we lose our last 5 series of the year, then that is pretty disappointing. Which is weird to say given that we'd still have more SEC wins than we've possibly ever had, but to fall short of something really great like a top 8 would still be disappointing.

Still, UK has been close the past two weekends. Close out a couple of games and we're looking at 18 wins instead of 16 right now and two more series wins. Hope they get their minds right coming back home this weekend and really play with that chip on their shoulder against Arkansas.
I don't think we need 4 wins to get a national top 8 seed. Here is why:

-We were the 12 seed last year with 16 wins. 17-18 SEC wins is usually the demarcation lead for a top 8 seed.

-We have a rock solid top 3 RPI and that isn't going to change given our remaining schedule (3 games against #2 team arky, 3 games against top 20 RPI Florida, and 3 games against top 30 RPI Vandy).

I think we're safely a top 8 seed with 3 more SEC wins, and possibly with just two (though I would not want to chance it with just two). Four wins would be a mortal lock for a top 8 seed.

For me, the top 8 seed is the primary goal. But, I also think it's important to win SEC series. I really like our chances against Vandy, but the other two are very tough.

Reactions: dtjr
I don't think we need 4 wins to get a national top 8 seed. Here is why:

-We were the 12 seed last year with 16 wins. 17-18 SEC wins is usually the demarcation lead for a top 8 seed.

-We have a rock solid top 3 RPI and that isn't going to change given our remaining schedule (3 games against #2 team arky, 3 games against top 20 RPI Florida, and 3 games against top 30 RPI Vandy).

I think we're safely a top 8 seed with 3 more SEC wins, and possibly with just two (though I would not want to chance it with just two). Four wins would be a mortal lock for a top 8 seed.

For me, the top 8 seed is the primary goal. But, I also think it's important to win SEC series. I really like our chances against Vandy, but the other two are very tough.

Yea, looking at it, I think you are correct. 20 is pretty much an absolute lock. 19 is closer, but still highly likely. May very well mean that 4 SEC teams are national seeds as well, which also happened last year. Only concern I might have is how the committee might look at us if we finish with losses in our last 5 SEC series. How much will that hurt us? Can we make up for it by having a good SEC tournament run? What if we get bounced early in that as well? Do they kind of punish us a bit for not appears as 'tournament ready?'

Yea, looking at it, I think you are correct. 20 is pretty much an absolute lock. 19 is closer, but still highly likely. May very well mean that 4 SEC teams are national seeds as well, which also happened last year. Only concern I might have is how the committee might look at us if we finish with losses in our last 5 SEC series. How much will that hurt us? Can we make up for it by having a good SEC tournament run? What if we get bounced early in that as well? Do they kind of punish us a bit for not appears as 'tournament ready?'
That’s my concern. Our finish will certainly come into play. UK will for the foreseeable future will NOT get respect from the committee.

Since we haven't had a midweek game in the past couple of weeks should they move a midweek starter into the slot this sunday and let our Sunday guy try to get off the schnide against Xavier & Wright State the next couple of weeks before the SEC tourney starts?

Since we haven't had a midweek game in the past couple of weeks should they move a midweek starter into the slot this sunday and let our Sunday guy try to get off the schnide against Xavier & Wright State the next couple of weeks before the SEC tourney starts?
I’m more worried about our Saturday starter. Moore has been making it through 4. Nimon has 11 runs in his last 2 first innings.

Don't think so. I think what they could possibly do is move Niman to the bullpen and slide Smith back into a starting role. Let Niman work some long relief to get his confidence back up. Don't think you want to mess with the days they pitch all that much because once you do that it can be hard to get it back to the right days.

I agree with the above-stated concerns about pitching. NIman just looked awful the last two weeks. Moore has been better, but he too has had some issues and was not lock-down like I expected him to be.

I don't want to lose the last five series of the year, and I don't thin owe will (I think we will win the Vandy series, at minimum, but I think we have a good shot this weekend too).

Last year, we only won four series and got the 12 seed. We already have five series wins this year. the knock against this year's resume is that we don't have the marquee series wins - Bama, UGA, and (to a lesser extent) Ole Miss are really good series wins, but it would be great to add an arky or VU to really solidify the resume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT