ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the overall strength of SEC East programs

UGA coming off of 12-2 beat us on some dudes. Good for them. That’s how it’s supposed to be. Pruitt landed a 7th ranked class. He finished first for a lot too. UGA never loses a recruit. They either didn’t want him or we paid more.

UGA misses on recruits. Why do you think Kirby was whining at the draft? They just don't lose that many to you guys head-to-head. And why would they? UT hasn't won the division in over a decade.

UGA misses on recruits. Why do you think Kirby was whining at the draft? They just don't lose that many to you guys head-to-head. And why would they? UT hasn't won the division in over a decade.
Some kids wanna ride pine and brag about their SEC division ring to their PE students. Some are realizing that they can go elsewhere and do well. I mean UGA thought they were swinging a big wang when they landed Carson Beck. He was elite. So much better than Harrison Bailey. Go look at their senior numbers. They’ve already given up on Beck. Vandagriff is the new toy so now after Jamie Newman who got thrashed by any defense with a pulse is gone, some kid who could crack 3k yards in 1A Georgia HS football is gonna come and show everyone who’s boss.

Some kids wanna ride pine and brag about their SEC division ring to their PE students. Some are realizing that they can go elsewhere and do well. I mean UGA thought they were swinging a big wang when they landed Carson Beck. He was elite. So much better than Harrison Bailey. Go look at their senior numbers. They’ve already given up on Beck. Vandagriff is the new toy so now after Jamie Newman who got thrashed by any defense with a pulse is gone, some kid who could crack 3k yards in 1A Georgia HS football is gonna come and show everyone who’s boss.

lol I don't really care dude. For either team. But anyone can look at the scores and tell you UGA and UF have been beating you guys down for a while now. And Stoops has UK trending up. So you're either going to have to: a) Start taking their top targets - ones with committable offers or b) Start beating them. So far the results show Pruitt can't do either one.

lol I don't really care dude. For either team. But anyone can look at the scores and tell you UGA and UF have been beating you guys down for a while now. And Stoops has UK trending up. So you're either going to have to: a) Start taking their top targets - ones with committable offers or b) Start beating them. So far the results show Pruitt can't do either one.
I mean we took Dylan Brooks from Bama. Our last 3 commits had committable offers. Meanwhile, they’re bragging about getting future cast for some kid out of Nashville that we haven’t even offered. Stoops is given all this grace but was losing to Butch Jones in year 2, 3 and 4 by like 30 points a game. Pruitt will do that too. Love that he’s held to a higher standard in year 2 than Stoops is in year 7. Shows your true opinions of both programs.

I mean we took Dylan Brooks from Bama. Our last 3 commits had committable offers. Meanwhile, they’re bragging about getting future cast for some kid out of Nashville that we haven’t even offered. Stoops is given all this grace but was losing to Butch Jones in year 2, 3 and 4 by like 30 points a game. Pruitt will do that too. Love that he’s held to a higher standard in year 2 than Stoops is in year 7. Shows your true opinions of both programs.

Yeah, they had committable offers, but not from the schools you're trying to beat. We've already established that. And you're the one that said it'd be easier for UT to go through a rebuild than make UK better. Do I have to c/p for you?

Yeah, they had committable offers, but not from the schools you're trying to beat. We've already established that. And you're the one that said it'd be easier for UT to go through a rebuild than make UK better. Do I have to c/p for you?
One was literally committed to UF. “hE AiNt GoTz nO cOmMiTaBLe oFer!”

One was literally committed to UF. “hE AiNt GoTz nO cOmMiTaBLe oFer!”

Look...Go argue with them. Or just go back and read the thread. I'm not the one that trolled his commitment. All I can tell you is UF wasn't taking him back. My guess is they'll end up with someone better. And Alabama and tOSU wouldn't take his commitment either. Don't know what else to tell you. You're starting to argue in a circle at this point.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Pruitt took over a team with just as much if not more talent on paper than Florida. Fact, my friend.
Tennessee’s best player couldn’t play, they lost their center game one. Two true freshmen starting at corner. Had to bring in multiple grad transfers.
Look...Go argue with them. Or just go back and read the thread. I'm not the one that trolled his commitment. All I can tell you is UF wasn't taking him back. My guess is they'll end up with someone better. And Alabama and tOSU wouldn't take his commitment either. Don't know what else to tell you. You're starting to argue in a circle at this point.
im sure they’ll claim they didn’t want Terrence Lewis when we get him too.

Pruitt took over a team with just as much if not more talent on paper than Florida. Fact, my friend.

On paper, maybe, but that does't count the players that Jones never properly developed or those who spent their entire careers injured. And there were a bunch. Not to mention that Pruitt switched from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and didn't really have the personnel left over from Jones' roster for it to be effective until this past season. Pruitt's 2018 defense ranked 77th; his 2019 defense ranked 29th. Pruitt is getting the right players for his system and he has changed the culture, which was wretched under Jones, which really started midway through the 2016 season with Hurd quitting the program, and worsened through the 2017 season. While the jury may still be out on whether Pruitt can make UT an SEC contender again, he has already made UT a much tougher team mentally and physically than what he inherited.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Says the fanbase who tweeted threats to Darnell Wright’s coach because you got this notion that he was blocking him from visiting other schools despite the fact Wright visited UNC and WVU. And Fulmer just kept Rick Barnes from going to his dream school. .

You talking about the OT that gave your QB a concussion? Glad he isn't in Athens. But I am not talking fan bases, talking you in particular, buying a subscription and posing as a UGA fan, getting banned and booming back multiple times and getting banned every time. Pruitt calls Kirby Daddy when they meet at midfield

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
You talking about the OT that gave your QB a concussion? Glad he isn't in Athens. But I am not talking fan bases, talking you in particular, buying a subscription and posing as a UGA fan, getting banned and booming back multiple times and getting banned every time. Pruitt calls Kirby Daddy when they meet at midfield
I never posed as a UGA fan. You could look in my profile and see every post I ever made. Why did Trent ban me for arguing with him if I was pretending to be a UGA fan?

Idk who you’re banning but it wasn’t me lol.

Really? Head to head against UGA UT is something like 2-20. The DB that committed this week to UT wasn't recruited by UGA, tried to commit to Bama, TOSU and UF again, so he finally worked his way to UT, Mr number 4bin this case

Yes, really.

Maybe you meant he is known to you as the king of finishing 2nd for recruits, but he is not known for that on the recruiting trail.

Big shock though that he has been losing out to a UGA team that has been an NC contender and in the SECC the last couple of years. The fact that he finished 5-7 his first season and is going head to head with UGA, Bama, LSU, Clemson, etc., but finishing #2 to any of those teams is actually a credit to him. And he did pull in some top recruits in the 2020 class despite coming off a 5-7 record his first season.

You do realize it was Chaney that didn't recruit recruit Bailey don't you, didn't recruit him. Didn't care for him at UT either, made a run at that QB from Texas, you know you weren't signing both.

So you only take a QB every 3-4 years? You think we were going to tell Vandergriff thanks but no thanks?

As for Neuman, you thinking our talent level is on Wake's level? He is projected to be the 3rd QB taken in 21's draft by the people that do those things. My prediction is barring injury he has a better year than whoever UT trots out there.

You do realize it was Chaney that didn't recruit recruit Bailey don't you, didn't recruit him. Didn't care for him at UT either, made a run at that QB from Texas, you know you weren't signing both.

So you only take a QB every 3-4 years? You think we were going to tell Vandergriff thanks but no thanks?

As for Neuman, you thinking our talent level is on Wake's level? He is projected to be the 3rd QB taken in 21's draft by the people that do those things. My prediction is barring injury he has a better year than whoever UT trots out there.
You think the rest of the ACC is on the multiple top 25 defenses of the SEC East alone’s level? And Fromm had Round 1 projections a year ago too. Kelly Bryant was getting top 50 pick love too.

Tennessee is plucking talent from Georgia, Alabama and Florida as we speak. A program is only as good as its last coach and AD. Florida is desirable for talent but Frost passed it up for Nebraska in the boonies because their ADs are cheap. You’re right about the talent they have access too but they’re last in a lot of circles in terms of facilities. Their team bus under Foley, the last AD, looked like they bought it off Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1977.

OK, it looks like they are recruiting better than they have in a while, but you should admit that it's still an upset when UT can go into georgia and beat the bulldogs, into alabama to beat the tide (assuming, of course, that those are players that the home school really wants). Heck, UT even has a hard time prying players away from UK that are home state players (e.g. oxendine last year).

And I hear what you're saying about UF, but let's be honest (as two progams that hate UF)...they're still a cadillac program. That's a plum job that should win titles on a regular basis. It's a far better job than either UT or UK.

OK, it looks like they are recruiting better than they have in a while, but you should admit that it's still an upset when UT can go into georgia and beat the bulldogs, into alabama to beat the tide (assuming, of course, that those are players that the home school really wants). Heck, UT even has a hard time prying players away from UK that are home state players (e.g. oxendine last year).

And I hear what you're saying about UF, but let's be honest (as two progams that hate UF)...they're still a cadillac program. That's a plum job that should win titles on a regular basis. It's a far better job than either UT or UK.
Ox got passed up when Omari Thomas who saw Ole Miss crashing and burning so he and Small picked Tennessee instead.

I would agree with you for the majority of it. Texas certainly has innate advantages that UT ( Tn) doesn't have, so it begs the question why haven't they done more than they have. Really, since Vince Young they have been pedestrian at best. I tend to think that Tennessee is better than sixth, seventh best job in the sec. All of those other programs, except bama, are relatively new to the "elite status" , with each having great success and also losing seasons. For example, georgia has really hit it stride under KS but was really nonfactor for 30 + years ( ie look at Spurrier's and Fulmer's success against them). My point is that those teams you listed has been up and down just like Tennessee. Right now they are up and Tennesee is down historically speaking, but I believe the Vols will be back up there competing and beating them as in the past .

I agree with some of what you say.

-Texas has 100% underachieved pretty much forever. THere is zero reason why they haven't won more, and won bigger. It's regarded as a top 3 job nationally b/c MONEY, exposure, great town in which to live, great brand, great stadium and facilities, and easy access to great players in your own backyard that generally grew up thinking that Texas is THE state school.

-Tennessee is a good job. In any other conference, it would be near the top. I say that those other jobs are better for a couple of reasons: Great in state talent that gives a school incumbent advantages (Florida, Georgia, A&M), or being THE instate school with pretty good high school talent (LSU). Tennessee can spend money as well as any of them, but IMO a few things have held them back:

A) UT hasn't been willing to do what some of its rivals have done. I'm sure UT fans think that Bama cheats its ass off, but the reality is that they've given Saban pretty much anything he wants (unfettered power, gigantic budgets for assistants and "non-coach" staffers, etc). UT has had a ton of power struggles over the years and has had way too much in-house political drama in order to be successful (the Haslam mess, Fulmer's hunger for power and micromanagement, Currie, Crazy Aunt Edna that was your president, etc etc etc).

B) UT simply doesn't have talent in its backyard that those schools have. It's just tough to recruit at a national title level when you have to beat established powerhouse football programs for talent in their own states. When UT was at its peak (Manning, Fulmer), UGA sucked and Clemson was not even a thought. Thus, UT went into Georgia and South Carolina and plucked great talent right out from under them. Now, that's tougher to do.

C) The right coach (and recruiters) can win anywhere. Pruitt might do that. I have my doubts, but it's possible. If Saban or Dabo came to UT (or UK), eh would win titles there too. It's not as easy as it is at Alabama but it can be done.

D) This league is just too hard, man. Put UT in the ACC and they're winning 10-11 games next year and damn near "back". I believe that 12-13 programs in the SEC are fully committed to winning. Many of them will cheat. All of them have money (thank you, SEC network). I mean no disrespect calling UT the 7th best job. Hell, UK is probably 11th or 12th (maybe even 13th), so I'm not throwing stones. Put UK in the ACC and it might be the fourth best job. This league is just impossible, that's our mutual reality.

I won't argue against any of your points because they are all true. But I will say that UT has won NCs before, so it can be done, and UT won those NCs when it had little to no SEC level instate talent. The population of UT has bee exploding the last decade, and will continue to grow rapidly for at least another decade. A lot of these instate recruits now are new transplants with no ties to UT, but that will change over time as some of the young kids reach recruiting age, especially if UT continues on an upward trend. So I certainly agree it is difficult, but certainly is doable with the right coach.

100% agree. If schools like Oregon and Clemson and Auburn can win national titles, then so can UT. There are challenges, but it can be done. You also make a great point with regards to Tennessee's population explosion. Nashville is the new Atlanta, so taht should help UT (and hopefully UK and others in the area) in the future.

Ox got passed up when Omari Thomas who saw Ole Miss crashing and burning so he and Small picked Tennessee instead.

Tennessee wanted him. I read Tony Basilio's blog and they (including "X-man, their recruiting guru) were still hoping for him the day of the announcement. Not sure where he was as a priority, but this was not a case where UT called the young man and told him there was not a spot for him.

Tennessee wanted him. I read Tony Basilio's blog and they (including "X-man, their recruiting guru) were still hoping for him the day of the announcement. Not sure where he was as a priority, but this was not a case where UT called the young man and told him there was not a spot for him.

Pruitt wanted him, but as you suggested, he wasn't a priority. But if he had wanted to come to UT and the numbers were right, I am sure Pruitt would have taken him. I am just not sure there was room because of some of the guys that came in at the end. But his recruitment seemed to go back and forth btwn UT and UK and it seemed right there at the end that people were thinking UK. I was disappointed UT didn't get him.

Pruitt wanted him, but as you suggested, he wasn't a priority. But if he had wanted to come to UT and the numbers were right, I am sure Pruitt would have taken him. I am just not sure there was room because of some of the guys that came in at the end. But his recruitment seemed to go back and forth btwn UT and UK and it seemed right there at the end that people were thinking UK. I was disappointed UT didn't get him.
I know Austin and Co said it was kind of a first come first served situation with a few DLs. Omari jumped in and they just kinda slowed down on recruiting DLs.

I agree with some of what you say.

-Texas has 100% underachieved pretty much forever. THere is zero reason why they haven't won more, and won bigger. It's regarded as a top 3 job nationally b/c MONEY, exposure, great town in which to live, great brand, great stadium and facilities, and easy access to great players in your own backyard that generally grew up thinking that Texas is THE state school.

-Tennessee is a good job. In any other conference, it would be near the top. I say that those other jobs are better for a couple of reasons: Great in state talent that gives a school incumbent advantages (Florida, Georgia, A&M), or being THE instate school with pretty good high school talent (LSU). Tennessee can spend money as well as any of them, but IMO a few things have held them back:

A) UT hasn't been willing to do what some of its rivals have done. I'm sure UT fans think that Bama cheats its ass off, but the reality is that they've given Saban pretty much anything he wants (unfettered power, gigantic budgets for assistants and "non-coach" staffers, etc). UT has had a ton of power struggles over the years and has had way too much in-house political drama in order to be successful (the Haslam mess, Fulmer's hunger for power and micromanagement, Currie, Crazy Aunt Edna that was your president, etc etc etc).

B) UT simply doesn't have talent in its backyard that those schools have. It's just tough to recruit at a national title level when you have to beat established powerhouse football programs for talent in their own states. When UT was at its peak (Manning, Fulmer), UGA sucked and Clemson was not even a thought. Thus, UT went into Georgia and South Carolina and plucked great talent right out from under them. Now, that's tougher to do.

C) The right coach (and recruiters) can win anywhere. Pruitt might do that. I have my doubts, but it's possible. If Saban or Dabo came to UT (or UK), eh would win titles there too. It's not as easy as it is at Alabama but it can be done.

D) This league is just too hard, man. Put UT in the ACC and they're winning 10-11 games next year and damn near "back". I believe that 12-13 programs in the SEC are fully committed to winning. Many of them will cheat. All of them have money (thank you, SEC network). I mean no disrespect calling UT the 7th best job. Hell, UK is probably 11th or 12th (maybe even 13th), so I'm not throwing stones. Put UK in the ACC and it might be the fourth best job. This league is just impossible, that's our mutual reality.
I agree with everything you said and I took no offense in your ranking of UT- probably is where we are at now. Nice to converse with you and just for the record I have said several times that I think Stoops and uk in general has really elevated their program. - competively , financially, facilities, etc. to a point that they can play and beat anyone they face.

You think the rest of the ACC is on the multiple top 25 defenses of the SEC East alone’s level? And Fromm had Round 1 projections a year ago too. Kelly Bryant was getting top 50 pick love too.

Fromm was never a 1st round pick, doesn't have the size, mobility or arm, you know that as well as anyone. But he was a good college QB and was 3-0 against UT. Like I said get a streak going against Vandy before declaring the Vols back. Right now you are fighting to get into the top half of the Eastern division. You couldn't score on us last year, we will put a better defense on the field this fall so you won't be doing much scoring this year either.

Fromm was never a 1st round pick, doesn't have the size, mobility or arm, you know that as well as anyone. But he was a good college QB and was 3-0 against UT. Like I said get a streak going against Vandy before declaring the Vols back. Right now you are fighting to get into the top half of the Eastern division. You couldn't score on us last year, we will put a better defense on the field this fall so you won't be doing much scoring this year either.
Fighting? We got into the top half pretty easily and I really don’t see us back sliding. Each class has gotten better. The team galvanized itself around the UGA game. We will see how 2020 goes.

Fromm was never a 1st round pick, doesn't have the size, mobility or arm, you know that as well as anyone. But he was a good college QB and was 3-0 against UT. Like I said get a streak going against Vandy before declaring the Vols back. Right now you are fighting to get into the top half of the Eastern division.

Considering Pruitt inherited a program that went 0-8 in the SEC in '17 and that program went 5-3 in the SEC in '19, good for 3rd in the East, I would say that he has already put up a pretty good fight.

You couldn't score on us last year, we will put a better defense on the field this fall so you won't be doing much scoring this year either.

Well, a true freshman QB put up 2 TDs on UGA last season early in the game although I will certainly admit that the dawgs did a good job shutting the UT offense down after that. But I did see some concern in some UGA fans' faces there for a little bit.

However, UGA may very well not be doing much scoring either this season, what with a new QB, a new OC with a new offense, a new OL, and questions at WR. Against a UT defense that is rapidly improving. And maybe as important, UT now has much more quality depth, the lack of which made it difficult to hang with the top programs through 4 quarters the last couple of seasons.

I agree with everything you said and I took no offense in your ranking of UT- probably is where we are at now. Nice to converse with you and just for the record I have said several times that I think Stoops and uk in general has really elevated their program. - competively , financially, facilities, etc. to a point that they can play and beat anyone they face.

Same here. Not all rivalries and message board discussion has to be nasty (and filled with lies and distortions). THe next few years will be interesting to see if A) UK can continue to climb the ladder and take the next step and B ) to see if UT really can come back as a "power" or if they'll be permanently relegated to the middle or bottom of the SEC.

Considering Pruitt inherited a program that went 0-8 in the SEC in '17 and that program went 5-3 in the SEC in '19, good for 3rd in the East, I would say that he has already put up a pretty good fight.

Well, a true freshman QB put up 2 TDs on UGA last season early in the game although I will certainly admit that the dawgs did a good job shutting the UT offense down after that. But I did see some concern in some UGA fans' faces there for a little bit.

However, UGA may very well not be doing much scoring either this season, what with a new QB, a new OC with a new offense, a new OL, and questions at WR. Against a UT defense that is rapidly improving. And maybe as important, UT now has much more quality depth, the lack of which made it difficult to hang with the top programs through 4 quarters the last couple of seasons.

You really don't know much about our roster, 4 OL have started multiple games and 2 more have started 1. The best OT prospect from GA in the last 10 years will be trying to grab the other spot. I do understand your hoping Neuman being a bust, otherwise it's 4 blowout losses to us in a row. As for him playing in the ACC, he isn't playing for Wake either, he has come from a Mac level talent to one of the 4-5 most talented rosters in the country with the best defense in the country. How many we score against UT depends on how much Kirby wants to score, UT is along for the ride.

You really don't know much about our roster, 4 OL have started multiple games and 2 more have started 1. The best OT prospect from GA in the last 10 years will be trying to grab the other spot. I do understand your hoping Neuman being a bust, otherwise it's 4 blowout losses to us in a row. As for him playing in the ACC, he isn't playing for Wake either, he has come from a Mac level talent to one of the 4-5 most talented rosters in the country with the best defense in the country. How many we score against UT depends on how much Kirby wants to score, UT is along for the ride.
Who’s the best OT prospect of the last 10 yrs?

I think Pruitt is doing well. They bounced back from an awful start last season like UK in ‘16. Also;

Brings me no joy but can’t be denied.

Well, I at least know that your new QB' last name is Newman, not Neuman. And the truth is neither you nor I know how quickly he will pick up a new system, or develop chemistry with his receivers and OL, or even fit in at all at UGA. There are always questions with transfer QBs.

Well, I at least know that your new QB' last name is Newman, not Neuman. And the truth is neither you nor I know how quickly he will pick up a new system, or develop chemistry with his receivers and OL, or even fit in at all at UGA. There are always questions with transfer QBs.

I can't imagine it getting much worse than being the starting QB for a school like WF with no one to throw the ball to which is where Newman was last season after Surratt went down. And that's against anyone.

Besides...we need to talk Newman up that way we can get Kirby raging again at the draft if he sucks as the starter.

Pruitt is taking some high risk guys with high upside. 88 average with two 5 stars and three 4 stars also says a lot about the bottom half of that class. But, yeah, no denying they have some momentum.
The average is like that because the #1 JUCO RB counts as a zero so it drags the average down. If Rivals ranks their JUCOs soon and the composite sets in, it’ll go to over 90 if Rivals has him as a 5.7 or higher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT