ADVERTISEMENT

Raftery’s memory

This probably has been discussed but I did not see it. On two different occasions Raftery remarks about Jeff Sheppards tip in buzzer beater against Arizona in Maui. I thought Jeff Brassow was the guy that did that.
Yea, I noticed he said that twice also and both times I heard him say it, I knew he was remembering Brassow. I like listening to Raftery call the games though

He’s a clown. But far better than having Bias, Dikes, dookie v or Nessler call the game.

This probably has been discussed but I did not see it. On two different occasions Raftery remarks about Jeff Sheppards tip in buzzer beater against Arizona in Maui. I thought Jeff Brassow was the guy that did that.
My wife and I were there to see Brassow win it,as exciting as any live game I have ever seen. Wouldn't it be nice to have a coach with balls enough to play in that tourney again

He's a goof (and like Vitale and Jimmy Dykes he certainly loves his catchphrases) but I like him anyway. It is getting to be about that time for him to retire, though.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
You're right, it was Brassow. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this the same team who came back from 31 down against LSU?

I like Raftery. Historically, he's called a ton of special moments for UK.
Here's one: "Tayshaun is not a Prince, he's a king!"

That is a moment of absolute perfection and elation. Top 3 standout moment of my UK watching history.

And yea, CBS does so much better coverage all the way around than ESPN. Cameras are better, or at least the cameramen are. Less nonsense. Less bias. Less babbling full of self importance.

That is a moment of absolute perfection and elation. Top 3 standout moment of my UK watching history.

And yea, CBS does so much better coverage all the way around than ESPN. Cameras are better, or at least the cameramen are. Less nonsense. Less bias. Less babbling full of self importance.
I can still remember it vividly. It was the morning/afternoon after a spent the night at a friends house who was a UK hater and even he was in absolute awe.

Love Raftery, but could have sworn he called Ian Eagle “Verne” several times. I know he and Lundquist worked together for years. Anyone else catch this?
I heard that too.

He also said he didn’t know Shep had hops like that after the dunk. Come on brother! Pay attention.

Still a Raftery fan, though.

I called out his BS memory soon as he said it. Bras did tip it in.

I have a lot of respect for him. He’s way past retirement age but still working because he’s doing what he loves

You're right, it was Brassow. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this the same team who came back from 31 down against LSU?
Yep. That team also beat 3 of the 4 final four teams. Arizona, Florida and national champion Arkansas.

Rafferty is far and away the best commentator for Ky games. Just because he has been known to like the sauce a bit much, he does make mistakes, so be it. Id rather listen to him or someone scratching their fingernails across a chalkboard than listen to ESPN announcers.

Go Cats!

Honestly surprising a guy his age remembers that game. You know how many games he’s called that he’s probably forgotten or that bleed together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT