ADVERTISEMENT

Quickley to NBA?

I hope Brooks isn’t one of the five to declare. Sometimes all it takes is for someone to tell you that you are better than you really are for some of these kids

Reactions: blubo
This shit is getting incredibly old. I’m not even being a whiny fan or hating on Cal or anything, it’s just the NBA and the attitude towards playing in the NBA that has just completely destroyed college b-ball. College is seen as an inconvenience and hindrance, and any sliver of even a hint of the NBA and the players are gone. Is it the whole AAU thing where everything is sponsored by NBA players and only success is measured by playing in the NBA that is to blame? It honestly seems like these kids playing in front of thousands of fans for great b-ball programs view it as a complete horror and failure. It’s crazy. Can you imagine the 2006 Florida team all returning for a repeat title in this day and age?

It will be hard for UK to win another national title without returning players of his caliber (especially since the OAD rule is about to collapse, thus negating the possibility of a future return to landing players of Davis/Wall caliber).

One would think that returning to Kentucky is the equivalent to another level of hell in Dante's Inferno by the lack of juniors our program has actually seen since 2010.

This shit is getting incredibly old. I’m not even being a whiny fan or hating on Cal or anything, it’s just the NBA and the attitude towards playing in the NBA that has just completely destroyed college b-ball. College is seen as an inconvenience and hindrance, and any sliver of even a hint of the NBA and the players are gone. Is it the whole AAU thing where everything is sponsored by NBA players and only success is measured by playing in the NBA that is to blame? It honestly seems like these kids playing in front of thousands of fans for great b-ball programs view it as a complete horror and failure. It’s crazy. Can you imagine the 2006 Florida team all returning for a repeat title in this day and age?

it will be worse when straight to the NBA is implemented

It will be hard for UK to win another national title without returning players of his caliber (especially since the OAD rule is about to collapse, thus negating the possibility of a future return to landing players of Davis/Wall caliber).

One would think that returning to Kentucky is the equivalent to another level of hell in Dante's Inferno by the lack of juniors our program has actually seen since 2010.
Yep its the culture Cal has created. You are a failure if you stay more than 2 yrs.

We have very few exceptions to this rule with Big Nick being the latest.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
I do think the Kentucky effect is at work here.
So many of our former players have done well in the NBA, that they may get a boost in their rankings just because they played here.
Look at some of the other prominent programs and see that many of their former players bust in the league. Duke and Kansas have to be at the top of the list for NBA busts

Reactions: wildcatwelder
it will be worse when straight to the NBA is implemented
Straight to NBA and no-sit-out transfers. Wow, gonna be crazy we'll never know what our roster will look like and we'll waste a bunch of time recruiting kids who eventually decide to go pro.

Cal cannot continue having marginal NBA guys leave and the other guys transferring every year. It's not sustainable to build a successful program (hence no Final Fours in 5 years).

I thought another title was only a matter of when not if for Cal/UK. Now I don't think it happens at all.

2016/2017 - Monk, Fox, Bam to NBA (right decision/make sense). Briscoe to NBA (makes no sense), Humphries transfers
2017/2018 - Knox, Shai to NBA (right decision/make sense). Vanderbilt, Diallo, Gabriel to NBA (makes no sense), SKJ, Wynyard transfer
2018/2019 - Tyler, PJ to NBA (right decision/make sense), Keldon to NBA (questionable), Quade, Baker transfer
2019/2020 - NBA decisions TBD, Whitney, Juzang transfer

This is not a formula for high level (Final Four/National Title) success.

Tbh, most of these elite players very rarely care about college ball. It is a hindrince in their minds because the majority of them are being told they are great at a young age. So they start getting that idea of playing in the NBA and never develop any desire for college ball. With the NBA continuing to grow their developmental leaque it simply make sense for these kids to take advantage of teams willing to draft and stash them away. Lets face it, getting paid a G Leaque salary while spending all your time working on your game sounds more appealing than going to college for free, not having much spending money if any, and having to go to class and do class work.

The days of kids being fans of their schools is dying. Programs like Duke and UK are NBA farm teams now. When the one and done is over I suspect a minimum of 8 of the top 20 recruits out of high school to jump straight to the pros every year.

Money talks and I don't blame any one for seizing all oppertunities to capitalize on their talents. It sucks for college ball but it is good for the kids. The average career expectancy for a NBA player is around 2 to 3 years, have to capitalize as much as you can in the time you are given.

Cal cannot continue having marginal NBA guys leave and the other guys transferring every year. It's not sustainable to build a successful program (hence no Final Fours in 5 years).

I thought another title was only a matter of when not if for Cal/UK. Now I don't think it happens at all.
But don't we have about 4 or 5 walk ons. That will bring you #9. TIC

Kansas busts
Josh Jackson
Kelly Oubre
Andrew Wiggins
Ben McLemore
Thomas Robinson
Markieff Morris
Marcus Morris
Cole Aldrich
Xavier Henry
Brandon Rush
J.R. Giddens
Julian Wright
Wayne Simien
Kirk Hinrich
Nick Collison
Drew Gooden
Raef LaFrentz
Jacque Vaughn

2016/2017 - Monk, Fox, Bam to NBA (right decision/make sense). Briscoe to NBA (makes no sense), Humphries transfers
2017/2018 - Knox, Shai to NBA (right decision/make sense). Vanderbilt, Diallo, Gabriel to NBA (makes no sense), SKJ, Wynyard transfer
2018/2019 - Tyler, PJ to NBA (right decision/make sense), Keldon to NBA (questionable), Quade, Baker transfer
2019/2020 - NBA decisions TBD, Whitney, Juzang transfer

This is not a formula for high level (Final Four/National Title) success.

Nope. We haven’t been a top 5 program since 2015. UNC, Nova, Virginia, Kansas, Gonzaga* have all been better. Though Gonzaga has an unfair advantage they have more wins and a better tournament record during that time.

we’re back where we were during the tubby smith era. Going on 5, probably 6 years running now.

EJ (hopefully)
Brooks
Allen
Clarke
Boston
Askew
Jackson
Ware
Fletcher

That's a solid team for next year. Probably top 20ish. But no true big guy and a marginal PG would ultimately doom them.

Yep its the culture Cal has created. You are a failure if you stay more than 2 yrs.

We have very few exceptions to this rule with Big Nick being the latest.
It isn’t the culture Cal created. Cal capitalized on it first.

Its the culture the social media age combined with the NBA’s focus shift from drafting production to potential creates. It happens all across CBB. We just have more of it bc we get more of those Mickey D AAs and those are the guys that expect to be gone in 2 years and have the NBA borderline potential.

Mac Mcclung is testing the waters for Christ sake. It’s the overall “college is free labor propaganda, NBA potential, kids being hyped on social medial since 7th grade” culture.

Just for fun:
Duke busts
Kyle Singler
Cherokee Parks
Austin Rivers
Roshown Mcleod
Nolan Smith
William Avery
Trajan Langdon
Bobby Hurley
Jay Williams
Shelden Williams
Danny Ferry

Kansas busts
Josh Jackson
Kelly Oubre
Andrew Wiggins
Ben McLemore
Thomas Robinson
Markieff Morris
Marcus Morris
Cole Aldrich
Xavier Henry
Brandon Rush
J.R. Giddens
Julian Wright
Wayne Simien
Kirk Hinrich
Nick Collison
Drew Gooden
Raef LaFrentz
Jacque Vaughn

And, your point? Who the hell cares about being a bust in the NBA. Do you want to win the "We have the best NBA players award" or win National Titles?

Last edited:
Even if we only get EJ and brooks back we don’t need that much more.

askew
Allen
Clarke
Bj
Fletcher
Brooks
Ware
Ej
Jackson

add grad transfer guard
Add Paolo/brown/grad big

Reactions: The_Catfather
Tbh, most of these elite players very rarely care about college ball. It is a hindrince in their minds because the majority of them are being told they are great at a young age. So they start getting that idea of playing in the NBA and never develop any desire for college ball. With the NBA continuing to grow their developmental leaque it simply make sense for these kids to take advantage of teams willing to draft and stash them away. Lets face it, getting paid a G Leaque salary while spending all your time working on your game sounds more appealing than going to college for free, not having much spending money if any, and having to go to class and do class work.

The days of kids being fans of their schools is dying. Programs like Duke and UK are NBA farm teams now. When the one and done is over I suspect a minimum of 8 of the top 20 recruits out of high school to jump straight to the pros every year.

Money talks and I don't blame any one for seizing all oppertunities to capitalize on their talents. It sucks for college ball but it is good for the kids. The average career expectancy for a NBA player is around 2 to 3 years, have to capitalize as much as you can in the time you are given.
It seems strange to think that at one time players like Tayshaun Prince and Tim Duncan would play all 4 years of college then going on to have great NBA careers. Was money not as important back then because I’m sure payers such as Duncan could’ve left after their freshman or sophomore years.

What would you have Cal do? Recruit 3 star players and hope they develop by the time they are seniors? That would be fine but other coaches will be getting the best of the best players so UK will be taking on some losses, which in return will have the fan base pissed off more than they already are. No easy answer for players leaving early.

Can you imagine the 2006 Florida team all returning for a repeat title in this day and age?

I think that's the last time we'll see something like that happen. Three guys turned down guaranteed lottery money just because they wanted to go for back to back championships.

That really wasn't that long ago, yet it seems inconceivable today. Just shows how much things have changed in just over a decade.

I understand the sentiment. But....what’s a brother supposed to do? Handgun? Threaten a kid’s parents? Bring in Luca Brasi?

All he can do is counsel them as to why they are making a mistake in leaving early or transferring. His public message to Juzang was the coaching equivalent of begging the kid to stay. He’s been telling some kids they’re messing up since Teague and Dakari. If they won’t listen, they won’t listen.

This isn’t a Cal defense per se. I’m just pointing out the intractable practical problems. The only real answer is to recruit only 2 and 3 stars - which obviously is no answer at all.

We have this discussion every year thinking we have 2-3 come back and they go to Ecuador, Tasmania or anywhere other than back to school. Just expect everybody to go every year and you won't be disappointed. If only Brooks and Allen come back that's 8 freakin players next season. We need at minimum 2-3 really good players from either reclass or transfer.

There is no question the NBA -- and especially the exploding salaries in the past 20 years -- has gutted college basketball.

As for Kentucky, no program has gotten to March with a realistic chance to make the Final Four or even win it all. That proved true in 2010-11-12-14-15-17-18-19 and was true this year.

What more can be done? Of the 350 programs doing it with 4-3 stars, NONE have had a realistic shot at the Final Four as often as Kentucky in the OAD era -- and most haven't made a single Elite Eight in that time frame (see Indiana, Tennessee, etc.) And it isn't plausible to magically pick the high 4-stars who will end up staying for years -- see Herro and SGA.

It is frustrating.

I hope Brooks isn’t one of the five to declare. Sometimes all it takes is for someone to tell you that you are better than you really are for some of these kids
Why would he be ? We know who the 5 are . We just need either EJ or IQ back. To get both would be boon unheard of and make us the clear #1 by a large margin . The next few weeks will tell a tale . If we add another guard in grad market we are losing IQ . We add another big in the grad market we are maybe losing EJ ( we might add another big regardless so that is less sure)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT