ADVERTISEMENT

Question about how coaches evaluate and prepare for season

Tskware

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2003
I am a bit curious. Given how experienced our coaches are, how much evaluation occurs in the off season and pre season as to strengths and weaknesses of the team? More specifically, it seems reasonable to me that our staff should have known going into the season what our offensive line was going to be like, we had three starters returning, plus Mincey and Farmer, who we played against last year and came from the same division in the SEC. I never buy into the "coach speak" that we have "7 or 8" guys we feel real confident about, given that we almost never play more than 5 or 6 O linemen significantly. Hell, Jager Burton got hurt blocking for a FG, it seems like our starters have to stay in even for short FGs and XPs.

I can well understand a bit of uncertainty at QB, BVG has not played any meaningful snaps in any game in over three years, so until he has to stand in the pocket under real pressure, I can understand that the coaches may not really know what they have. I am sure they have a better idea now after two games.

I have never coached or played organized football, but if the coaches knew going into the season that the offensive line would be a big-time problem (and it sure looked like that on Saturday) don't they prepare game plans accordingly? So, why for example, would you go for it on 4th and 1 on your own 30 yard line? What is the upside, even if you make it?

Bottom line, curious as to what coaches really know going into the season. Surely they can evaluate their own personnel accurately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.