ADVERTISEMENT

Prospects Simply Don't Want to Play CBB: SI Article

Yes, I do.

That was the market inefficiency that Cal brilliantly exploited when the one and done rule was first enacted in 06. Other coaches were still selling the old rah rah student-athlete bullshit recruiting pitch that 21st century stars no longer cared for, ...whereas Cal honestly gave them exactly the message they really wanted to hear: I will provide you the fastest path to pro riches.

And it worked unbelievably well for the first decade of the one and done era, when he dominated recruiting like no coach in the sport's history. But not as much the last few years after other coaches figured it out and copied what he was doing.
And Adidas decided to get into the game

Reactions: UK90
P.J. Washington, F. Charlotte Hornets

The former Kentucky Wildcat was enjoying a solid season for a Hornets team that was struggling. Averaging 12.2 points per game, Washington had solid shooting splits, posting 45 percent from the field and 37 percent from three-point land. The No. 15 player in the 247Sports Composite from the class of 2017 made the decision to return for his sophomore year at Kentucky, and it paid great dividends at the next level.
This is why you RETURN to school in most situations.
And congratulations to Mr Washington, for the accomplishment of making the 2nd team all rookie NBA team

How is stating the obvious taking a shot. Both of those statements are correct. What would be your rebuttal to Forde to dispute what he said?
His use of the phrase "drive-thru" is intentional, he's saying what Cal sells these kids on is the quick and easy route (and so when it blows up in your face how can you complain?). That's not what he's selling. There is nothing "easy" about it. He tells them, this is not for everyone, you come here you might only get the 5th most shots, you're not going to average 30 a game, I am going to coach you hard like you've never been coached (ask KAT or Maxey about that).

In short, he's not selling "I will get you to the NBA fast", he's selling "I will get you ready for the NBA".

"I will get you there fast" is what LSU sold Simmons, what Washington sold Fulks, it's what programs that aren't used to one and dones do with them. Easy. However you want it. Do what you like. You don't want to go to class after Christmas We can't make you, and it likely doesn't matter anyway.

Again, look at what Spoelstra said, look how he described what Calipari does with these kids. Then look at Forde's characterization. It's not simply two different views of the same situation. One guy is assessing what really goes on, the other is intentionally diminishing it to take a shot.

As much as I loathe Forde, it’s a good article. I disagree they don’t care about the name on the jersey (albeit a small group doesn’t seem to care).

Hilarious how you guys bashed me for crapping on Auburn. This isn't about Auburn. This is about Kentucky, as a big favorite, losing to an SEC team with a shot to make another Final Four. One of the worst losses in Cal's history at UK. Spin it how you want about how Auburn should've beaten UVA and that UVA could've have lost in the title game to TT. It doesn't matter. Had you told me that Kentucky would've had the path they did to the Elite 8 and then play AUBURN, DOWN A STARTER, and lose because our 5-star/top defensive PG in the nation couldn't stop a 4-year, fringe NBA player in Jared Harper?

It is what it is man. It definitely sucked but you just need to get over it and move on.

His use of the phrase "drive-thru" is intentional, he's saying what Cal sells these kids on is the quick and easy route (and so when it blows up in your face how can you complain?). That's not what he's selling. There is nothing "easy" about it. He tells them, this is not for everyone, you come here you might only get the 5th most shots, you're not going to average 30 a game, I am going to coach you hard like you've never been coached (ask KAT or Maxey about that).

In short, he's not selling "I will get you to the NBA fast", he's selling "I will get you ready for the NBA".

"I will get you there fast" is what LSU sold Simmons, what Washington sold Fulks, it's what programs that aren't used to one and dones do with them. Easy. However you want it. Do what you like. You don't want to go to class after Christmas We can't make you, and it likely doesn't matter anyway.

Again, look at what Spoelstra said, look how he described what Calipari does with these kids. Then look at Forde's characterization. It's not simply two different views of the same situation. One guy is assessing what really goes on, the other is intentionally diminishing it to take a shot.

You have interpreted Drive thru to mean quick and easy which I would not think anyone would chacterize cal’s pitch to players like that, even Forde. That’s a broad stretch there IMO. Eric Spoelstra’s quote definitely a better description but I don’t see forde’s as a shot, merely stating he will get them to the NBA which is where they want to be. No coach really has to sell them on fast, especially the elite as they know they are going in a year regardless of where they play.

You mean people want to make as much money as fast as possible? Who knew. This story really taught me something....

Hilarious how you guys bashed me for crapping on Auburn. This isn't about Auburn. This is about Kentucky, as a big favorite, losing to an SEC team with a shot to make another Final Four. One of the worst losses in Cal's history at UK. Spin it how you want about how Auburn should've beaten UVA and that UVA could've have lost in the title game to TT. It doesn't matter. Had you told me that Kentucky would've had the path they did to the Elite 8 and then play AUBURN, DOWN A STARTER, and lose because our 5-star/top defensive PG in the nation couldn't stop a 4-year, fringe NBA player in Jared Harper?
ive said it many times on here. That loss was inexcusable. Wed beaten them twice already, at full strength, including by 27 just 2 weeks prior. "Well its tough to get to the Elite 9 and we made it that far." When the hell did the gold standard of basketball start making excused and equivocating over inexcusable losses?

Mack acts like he's refuting them, but really this tweet only reinforces the point of that SI article.

College basketball does not need the players who absolutely do not want to be here. It does not need the recruits ranked in the Top 10 coming out of high school. It will be fine with stars like Obi Toppin, Luke Garza and Markus Howard who, even though they weren't ranked that high in HS, are still tremendous players.

So could we please just get rid of the one and done rule and stop trying to force unwilling players into CBB.
Thank you. Thats all weve been clamoring for this whole time. IDGAF if Zion plays in college. I just want college basketball to go back to being about college basketball, and hopefully you as a player put your time in, get a degree, and get on a pro roster. **** the NBA raping and destroying college ball.

What Spoestra said is not inconsistent with what Forde wrote. Both things can be true. Just because you like one quote more than the other doesn't mean they conflict. I think both are right.

I get that you have a problem with use of the phrase "drive thru", and perhaps that was harsh wording (others use phrases like "pit stop" and "stepping stone" to describe the same thing), but what he's talking about is accurate. It's clear many players no longer see us as a destination the way they once did, but instead more as an obstacle that must be cleared to get where they actually want to be. And the goal is to clear that obstacle as quickly as possible.

I mean, for cripes sake, in just the last three years we've had four guys leave for the pros despite knowing that they won't be drafted at all (Gabriel, Humphries, Briscoe, Montgomery). When guys are even choosing Estonia or the G-League minimum over another season at UK then it's a fairly safe assumption that they didn't much wanna be here to begin with.

Last edited:
Why are so many crying about this?

It’s pretty simple: if you don’t like college basketball in whatever form it takes, quit watching.

That is assuming we ever get the choice again.

Now I’ve said my peace, continue your whining.

Reactions: gharding07
ive said it many times on here. That loss was inexcusable. Wed beaten them twice already, at full strength, including by 27 just 2 weeks prior. "Well its tough to get to the Elite 9 and we made it that far." When the hell did the gold standard of basketball start making excused and equivocating over inexcusable losses?
Not gonna tell you how to feel, but a reasonable person who knows the context of the situation...I can understand being upset. Acting like that was some horrible, inexcusable loss...there is no way you’ve been around for very long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT