ADVERTISEMENT

Prospects at Hoophall Classic - 2011

UKPhilly

Junior
Jan 19, 2005
I went to the Spalding Hoophall Classic in Springfield, MA, this past weekend and sat through a ton of basketball. On the plus side, I met Cal and Orlando Antigua (and Orlando's cousin) and had a photo taken with Cal and one with Antigua. I'm not a coach, but just an old guy who has watched a lot of basketball. I looked up recruiting on CatsPause to see who we are that may be playing in the Classic and will give you my impression of what I saw this weekend. Remember, I have only seen most of these boys just this one weekend.

KYLE ANDERSON, St Anthony H.S. - UK not listed as one of his schools on ESPN. Build looks something like Prince. Is he not hustling or just so smooth he looks as if he is not. Smart. Runs slow as if his feet are too big for his body. Almost a point-forward. No wasted effort. Will drive, shoot mid-range, and the 3. Rebounds. Played at Patterson Catholic last, but school closed. Can't be a bad move to now play for Bob Hurley! I heard Hurley say Anderson can any of the 5 positions, but I assume that is just in high school. Had 7 points, 5 rebounds in the DeMatha blow out.

Calipari & Antigua here for the following:
ALEX MURPHY, St Mark's School (Southborough, MA) - At 6'9", built just the way Cal like's them. Runs and handles the ball like a guard. Had an AWESOME baseline dunk over LaQuinton Ross that really energized the crowd. However, seemed to disappear as the game went on, scoring 9 with 5 rebounds.

KALEB TARCZEWSKI, St Mark's School (Southborough, MA) - True center at 7'0". ESPN's recruiting does NOT list UK among his schools. They also said he has good hands, but for this one game I thought his hands were terrible. Needs to get stronger. Good shot blocker (9). Had 11 points and 12 rebounds.

NIKOLAS STAUSKAS, St Mark's School - I'm mentioning him even though neither CatsPause nor ESPN list UK among his schools because he was the best St Mark's player in this one game. At 6'6" he is listed as F but played more like a SG. Had 25 points and 5 rebounds for the game and shot well from 3.

ANDRE DRUMMOND, St Thomas More School (Oakdale, CT) - At 6'10" and a college body, he is quite a stud. Some tear-the-rim down dunks, but also played away from the basket. Had 13 points and 10 rebounds against Hargrave Military Academy. I talked to ESPN recruiting guru Dave Telep and he said that Andre had been a lock for UConn until some recent events and he also said Drummond is "draft eligible." I didn't have time to get details on that. Maybe he will be a none and done! Telep said "it will be interesting" to see what Drummond does.

WINSTON SHEPARD, Findlay College Prep (Henderson, NV) - Findlay is the only team that played more than one game. Shepard is NOT listing UK as one of his schools, but during warm ups I got a big smile from him when I made eye contact with him and pointed at my UK hat. Built a lot like Liggins and really works at defense. Strong rebounder even though he is a thin 6'8" F. Sunday he over-passed as if he was afraid to shoot, but shot more in Monday's game. Right hand (thumb?) was bandaged for both games, so maybe that influenced his shot selection. 10 points and 15 rebounds for Sunday, but I don't have Monday game stats.

DAJUAN COLEMAN, Jamesville-DeWitt H.S. (DeWitt, NY) - Every tall big-bodied high school center seems to remind people of Shaq and I have seen Coleman in this comparison. In my opinion, he is nothing like Shaq other than being 6'10" and 290 lbs. Reminds me of Nazr before the treadmill, or a taller Barkley before losing weight with the Sixers. Good feet. Good hands. Doesn't jump high, but doesn't have to with his bulk. Threw 3-4 full-court, two-hand, overhead outlets, ala Wes Unseld. Got a rebound and led a fast break the length of the court, finishing with a nice assist to the slashing wing. Huge smile to Calipari's face as he watched this. ESPN's Dave Telep said Coleman goes to all of Syracuse's games and can't imagine he will go any place other than the Cuse.

Due to today's game at Alabama, Calipari & Antigua no longer here for the following:
ANTHONY DAVIS, Perspectives Charter School (Chicago, IL) - I saw this team play once on TV in December and was disappointed. Seemed as if Davis spent most of his time outside and was not getting the ball. Today against St John's Prep (well coached Catholic league jump-shooters?) Anthony was everything I had heard about him. Rebounded, scored inside, hit 3's, ran the floor. He brought the ball up as their press-breaker. Would have had several assists, but no one on Perspectives can finish. They are just a terrible team and are zero without him. Hard to believe a Chicago school has so few ballers! Anthony had 18 points 1st half and picked up his 3rd foul. Hurt his wrist on a fall towards the end of the game and did not return. I didn't learn the extent of the injury.

MICHAEL GILCHRIST - I won't waste time talking about Mike. Just a stud! I don't think he is great at any phase of the game, but he is really, really, really good at EVERYTHING.

SHABAZZ MUHAMMAD, Bishop Gorman H. S. (Las Vegas, NV) - Of all of the players, he has my favorite name. Played St. Patrick's. I love his game and at 6'6" would be perfect for Calipari's offense. Slashes, shoots 3's, lots of hops. I hope Gilchrist got a chance to recruit this kid. Picked up 3rd foul before half, but still finished with around 26 points. Cross you fingers for this kid!

Again, these are just my opinions after watching one game, with the exception of Gilchrist, whom I have seen several times. So, if I'm 100% wrong, just politely tell me and don't try to tell me how stupid I am.

One more thing, if you watched any of the Classic on ESPNU on Monday, I was the old guy in the KENTUCKY sweatshirt sitting behind the announcers!!

This post was edited on 11/21 7:41 AM by UKPhilly

Re: Prospects at Hoophall Classic

Thanks Philly. It's posts like this that make me scan the board.

Originally posted by Patveep:
Thanks Philly. It's posts like this that make me scan the board.
Remember the old days on the board when we could actually get some information?

UK is recruiting both Murphy and Tarczewski, and is probably at least in contact with Kyle Anderson. Cal went to visit both at their school. And per a certain other site, Cal has 7 main targets right now for 2012- Drummond and Tarczewski as bigs, Murphy and Perry Ellis as combo 3/4 forwards, Muhammad and Archie Goodwin as wings, and LJ Rose at point- hoping to get 4 from that group. UK has also been linked by others to Brandon Ashley, Dajuan Coleman, and Anderson.

The talk about Drummond being none and done is because he could play an extra season at his prep school and be eligible for the draft. He started HS in 2007, and will be 19 in August 2012. Because of NCAA rules changes, he could lose a year of eligibility if he doesn't complete core class requirements by the end of this academic year (a player now has 4 years to complete those requirements. If he takes 5 years to do it, and plays during that 5th season, he comes into colllege with only 3 years eligibility to play)- although, considering he's a near-lock #1 overall NBA pick, it doesn't seem like that would matter much to him.

I guess what we could really fantasize about would be Drummond becoming eligible for the 2011 class, and coming to UK (add him, and UK's 11-12 roster is almost certainly the most talented, in terms of NBA potential, ever put on a college floor). However, most indications are that he won't be able to do that, which is why there's talk that he'll stay at St. Thomas More for 2 more years and go straight to the pros from there.

Originally posted by mj2k10:
UK is recruiting both Murphy and Tarczewski, and is probably at least in contact with Kyle Anderson. Cal went to visit both at their school. And per a certain other site, Cal has 7 main targets right now for 2012- Drummond and Tarczewski as bigs, Murphy and Perry Ellis as combo 3/4 forwards, Muhammad and Archie Goodwin as wings, and LJ Rose at point- hoping to get 4 from that group. UK has also been linked by others to Brandon Ashley, Dajuan Coleman, and Anderson.

The talk about Drummond being none and done is because he could play an extra season at his prep school and be eligible for the draft. He started HS in 2007, and will be 19 in August 2012. Because of NCAA rules changes, he could lose a year of eligibility if he doesn't complete core class requirements by the end of this academic year (a player now has 4 years to complete those requirements. If he takes 5 years to do it, and plays during that 5th season, he comes into colllege with only 3 years eligibility to play)- although, considering he's a near-lock #1 overall NBA pick, it doesn't seem like that would matter much to him.

I guess what we could really fantasize about would be Drummond becoming eligible for the 2011 class, and coming to UK (add him, and UK's 11-12 roster is almost certainly the most talented, in terms of NBA potential, ever put on a college floor). However, most indications are that he won't be able to do that, which is why there's talk that he'll stay at St. Thomas More for 2 more years and go straight to the pros from there.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Drummond isn't likely to see a college floor for anyone.

I guess everyone still has to try and sign him since he is an absolute stud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT