ADVERTISEMENT

Previewing Kentucky vs Vanderbilt

Nov 17, 2021
Here are some notes on UK vs Vandy, as well as my preview podcast of the game. Not my post, but you should go drop a final score prediction.

The Vanderbilt Offense: Akin to their football brethren.

68.6 PPG (12th in the SEC) (66 points vs UK)
  • Their pace of play is slow (255th nationally in adj. Tempo)
  • They don’t put a lot of shots up (55.7 FGA per game is 13th in the SEC)
  • They take a lot of threes (26 per game, T-3rd in the SEC)
  • 14.5 FTM per game is T-5th in the SEC

• Stylistically (X's and O's), Jerry Stackhouse runs a motion offense that involves a set known as “Horns.” In this set, forwards set up at the elbows while shooters space the floor out on the wing. The ball is then passed into one of the forwards and from there, and the perimeter players can cut, space or set off-ball screens to try and get themselves open. The set allows for different guys to touch the ball and when run accurately, has been very effective. Unfortunately, Stackhouse's Commodores are not running it well.

- The offense made some tough shots against UK last time. Just creating in isolation.
- I discounted Vanderbilt's shooters outside of Pippen Jr. last time UK played them... he ended up carrying them but Vanderbilt has some guys that could be good for them in the future.
- The fact remains that Vanderbilt does not have shooters (plural) on their roster. They have one. We’ll get to him in a minute.

11.2 Assists Per Game (14th in the SEC) 9 vs UK
41.2% Field Goal Shooting (14th in the SEC) 42.9% vs UK
68.9% Free Throw Shooting (9th in the SEC) 60% vs UK
31.9% Three Point Shooting (9th in the SEC) 40% vs UK
34.3 Rebounds Per Game (14th in the SEC) 26 vs UK (UK had a +16 Reb. Margin)
12.8 Turnovers Per Game (7th in the SEC) 8 vs UK

If I’m Kentucky’s defense, I’m saying rip me off a piece of that KitKat Bar.

Key Contributors

Scottie Pippen Jr.
(18.3 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 2.8 APG) VS UK: 32 PTS, 2 REB, 4 AST
  • Leads the team in points, assists, and steals. If he doesn’t take the shot there’s one other guy that will.
Jordan Wright (12.7 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 1.5 APG) VS UK: 0 PTS, 4 REB, 1 AST
  • Senior forward, doesn’t shoot well (38.6% FG, 32.1% 3PT), Trey Thomas had to carry the load vs UK (14 pts)
Myles Stute (8.6 PPG, 3.5 RPG, 0.4 APG) VS UK: 6 PTS, 4 REB, 1 AST (2-11 FG)
  • Sophmore forward, does shoot well (44.8% FG, 41.2% 3PT)

The Vanderbilt Defense: One of the better units in the SEC, but not great

Interesting stat: Vanderbilt is 2-5 in their last seven games. In their five losses, the Commodores are giving up 69.8 PPG, which is less than the give up on average in SEC play. What does that tell you? The defense is good and the offense sucks.

Another interesting stat: Vanderbilt has played 13 teams that are ranked 200th or higher in the KenPom rankings. The Commodores held 11 of those 13 teams *underneath* their scoring average (PPG). Kentucky included. Let it also be noted that 7 of those 11 teams are in the top half of the country in adj. offensive efficiency according to KenPom.

64.7 Points Allowed Per Game (UK scored 78)
56th in defensive efficiency
9th in the SEC in steals per game (7.5) (Vandy had 7)
12th in the SEC in blocks per game (3.1) (Vandy had 5)

Last time Kentucky played Vanderbilt, their offense had one of the most efficient games they have had all season long.

Kentucky only had 8 turnovers.

Final Thoughts

1. Can Kentucky speed the pace up?

- Vanderbilt is 256th in adj. tempo. Consistent rim runs with Tshiebwe in this game could benefit Kentucky's offense.

2. Do we see Vanderbilt turn the ball over a little more?

- The Commodores only had 8 turnovers.

3. Can Kentucky stop Scottie Pippen Jr.?

- If UK can shut him down, then they should be golden.

4. Does Shaedon Sharpe play?

- It would be a good game to do so if UK is up big at half.

Can Kentucky:
  • Shoot the ball well
  • Have decent shot selection
  • Play well in transition (BOTH offensively and defensively)
  • Protect the rim

FINAL SCORE: Kentucky 85, Vanderbilt 69

Let me know what you guys think.

Here are some notes on UK vs Vandy, as well as my preview podcast of the game. Not my post, but you should go drop a final score prediction.

• Stylistically (X's and O's), Jerry Stackhouse runs a motion offense that involves a set known as “Horns.” In this set, forwards set up at the elbows while shooters space the floor out on the wing. The ball is then passed into one of the forwards and from there, and the perimeter players can cut, space or set off-ball screens to try and get themselves open. The set allows for different guys to touch the ball and when run accurately, has been very effective. Unfortunately, Stackhouse's Commodores are not running it well.

- The offense made some tough shots against UK last time. Just creating in isolation.
- I discounted Vanderbilt's shooters outside of Pippen Jr. last time UK played them... he ended up carrying them but Vanderbilt has some guys that could be good for them in the future.
- The fact remains that Vanderbilt does not have shooters (plural) on their roster. They have one. We’ll get to him in a minute.

Key Contributors

Scottie Pippen Jr.
  • Leads the team in points, assists, and steals. If he doesn’t take the shot there’s one other guy that will.
  • Senior forward, doesn’t shoot well (38.6% FG, 32.1% 3PT), Trey Thomas had to carry the load vs UK (14 pts)

Interesting stat: Vanderbilt is 2-5 in their last seven games. In their five losses, the Commodores are giving up 69.8 PPG, which is less than the give up on average in SEC play. What does that tell you? The defense is good and the offense sucks.

Another interesting stat: Vanderbilt has played 13 teams that are ranked 200th or higher in the KenPom rankings. The Commodores held 11 of those 13 teams *underneath* their scoring average (PPG). Kentucky included. Let it also be noted that 7 of those 11 teams are in the top half of the country in adj. offensive efficiency according to KenPom.

Last time Kentucky played Vanderbilt, their offense had one of the most efficient games they have had all season long.

Final Thoughts

- Vanderbilt is 256th in adj. tempo. Consistent rim runs with Tshiebwe in this game could benefit Kentucky's offense.

Can Kentucky:
  • Shoot the ball well
  • Protect the rim

Good work, man!

I enjoyed your discussion about Shaedon Sharpe from a few days back as well. You do a good job! I hope you have success with this.

Reactions: LockedonUk
UK-15 the last time I looked. Wouldn't surprise me if UK came out flat tonight, gives the benchers PT and fails to cover. On the other hand they may blow Vandy out of the gym and the county. LOL

UK-15 the last time I looked. Wouldn't surprise me if UK came out flat tonight, gives the benchers PT and fails to cover. On the other hand they may blow Vandy out of the gym and the county. LOL
I'm interested to see if this is the game Sharpe finally gets to play.

We could run Vandy out of the gym tonight. It could present an opportunity for Collins and Sharpe to get some time on the court.

Reactions: TFCats11
I could definitely see a flat night for UK happening lol. I hope it doesn't, but you may be right XD

85 points seems high based on your analysis
I explain in the video that we scored 78 against them and let off the gas in Nashville... but I expect UK to not let up tonight. Vandy is a good matchup for us especially at home. They can't rebound, they're slow, and they don't move the ball around very much. I think we see UK break through!

Key Contributors

Scottie Pippen Jr.

Final Thoughts

Can Kentucky:
  • Shoot the ball well
  • Protect the rim

Three jackers. If they are hitting circus shots, might be a rough game. If we take care of business on Defense, we’ll walk away over then

Key Contributors

Scottie Pippen Jr.

Final Thoughts

Can Kentucky:
  • Shoot the ball well
  • Protect the rim

Lot of effort went into your post. Thank you. Very informative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT