ADVERTISEMENT

Preston Bowman commits to Kentucky

Batman Dancing GIF
Adam West Dancing GIF

Bowman looks to be seriously undervalued. Really strong guy with nice speed, looks like a RB playing WR. Reminds me of Dorian Baker but not as big.
Well not to be an ass but let’s hope for a lot more out of Preston than what we got out of Dorian. Dorian had a world of potential but it just never clicked with him? Hope he’s doing well in whatever he’s doing today!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Well not to be an ass but let’s hope for a lot more out of Preston than what we got out of Dorian. Dorian had a world of potential but it just never clicked with him? Hope he’s doing well in whatever he’s doing today!
Baker pissed away pro potential. Baker is slightly bigger than Bowman, Bowman appears to be slightly faster than Baker. When I compare the 2 I'm talking about a RB playing WR or what looks like that to me. Hopefully Bowman has a very productive career.

5.5 3*??? Is he under the radar? Don’t know much about him but I love that he wants to be a WILDCAT! I do know from reading on another site that he had offers from Michigan and louisville. Always good to beat those guys out for a recruit!
I thought Bowman had camped here for three years but Rowland says two. Had also read that he wasn't that impressive the other time/times he camped here. But Rowland says he did impress last year. For sure he played really well this year when he camped. Looks like a guy that has just gotten better from year to year. And that could be a good sign of how hard of a worker he is. Said to be able to play inside or outside so he gives us a little versatility at the WR positions. Michigan offering also another sign that he has just gotten better over time.

Last edited:
Baker may have saved Stoops career with that catch he made vs Eastern Kentucky.

Dorian Baker had that bizarre (anti-intuitive) trait (as did Quinton McCord a generation earlier), of dropping passes that hit him in the numbers (UF home game), but then catching heavily contested passes, such as the EKU tying score in ‘15 and at U of L in ‘16.

So strange.

Dorian Baker had that bizarre (anti-intuitive) trait (as did Quinton McCord a generation earlier), of dropping passes that hit him in the numbers (UF home game), but then catching heavily contested passes, such as the EKU tying score in ‘15 and at U of L in ‘16.

So strange.
Didn't they used to call him "American Pharoah?"

I thought Bowman had camped here for three years but Rowland says two. Had also read that he wasn't that impressive the other time/times he camped here. But Rowland says he did impress last year. For sure he played really well this year when he camped. Looks like a guy that has just gotten better from year to year. And that could be a good sign of how hard of a worker he is. Said to be able to play inside or outside so he gives us a little versatility at the WR positions. Michigan offering also another sign that he has just gotten better over time.

Bowman was named WR MVP at a recent Ole MS camp. That got Power 4 attention. It is important that UK's coaches have seen so much of him up close and gotten to know him at UK camps. His MI offer might not be committable, but he is a skilled player. He has worked in the gym and developed upper and lower body muscle mass. He has the build of a RB, but with great hands and route running. Strong enough to become a very good blocker, which is why he can play y or z.

FWIW, I don't believe Bowman's commitment would preclude taking Marsh or Miller (but probably not both) if they decide in UK's favor.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Dorian was great for a sophomore (about 40-50 catches iirc) but then missed almost all of the next two seasons with knee and heel injuries. He lost his speed after that but was a fringe nfl player before that bad luck.

Reactions: CGblue

So strange.
Made a diving TD catch against Georgia Tech too

Reactions: The-Hack
Dorian was great for a sophomore (about 40-50 catches iirc) but then missed almost all of the next two seasons with knee and heel injuries. He lost his speed after that but was a fringe nfl player before that bad luck.
How does a college football player lose his speed? Injuries get treated and heal. Did he start running sideways?

Reactions: K_TIME
Bowman was named WR MVP at a recent Ole MS camp. That got Power 4 attention. It is important that UK's coaches have seen so much of him up close and gotten to know him at UK camps. His MI offer might not be committable, but he is a skilled player. He has worked in the gym and developed upper and lower body muscle mass. He has the build of a RB, but with great hands and route running. Strong enough to become a very good blocker, which is why he can play y or z.

FWIW, I don't believe Bowman's commitment would preclude taking Marsh or Miller (but probably not both) if they decide in UK's favor.
Did not know about the Ole Miss thing. Thanks. A USA Today article said that MI did offer. But like you said, maybe it was not committable unless A and B happened. Regardless, they also liked Bowman. He is ranked the 158th best WR. And yeah, he is a strong WR that can take hits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rembrandt90
Did not know about the Ole Miss thing. Thanks. A USA Today article said that MI did offer. But like you said, maybe it was not committable unless A and B happened. Regardless, they also liked Bowman. He is ranked the 158th best WR. And yeah, he is a strong WR that can take hits.

Yes, he is known for being physically strong, competitive, and having strong hands. With the recent Ole MS camp performance and with OH St trying to offer him today, I suspect Bowman's rankings will rise significantly. The thing for our fans to keep in mind here is that our own coaches evaluated Bowman up close at a UK camp in Lexington. They know the kid and they know what they are getting. This was almost surely Coach Shorts' call in the final analysis. I like it.

Very interesting Vince openly talking about the virtually inevitable rule change coming soon wiping out the 85 scholarship cap for a smaller roster limit. To reduce rev sharing amounts from the Alston settlement.

Now more than ever offers are gonna be questionable if really real

Did Ole Miss offer him as a result?

Yes, he is known for being physically strong, competitive, and having strong hands. With the recent Ole MS camp performance and with OH St trying to offer him today, I suspect Bowman's rankings will rise significantly. The thing for our fans to keep in mind here is that our own coaches evaluated Bowman up close at a UK camp in Lexington. They know the kid and they know what they are getting. This was almost surely Coach Shorts' call in the final analysis. I like it.
Yes, they talked about how well Bowman did at our camp. Shorts and Collins are turning into quite a duo on the recruiting trail. And with Marrow's help when needed, our recruiting seems to be moving the needle some. And at a great time with TX and OK coming.

5.5 3*??? Is he under the radar? Don’t know much about him but I love that he wants to be a WILDCAT! I do know from reading on another site that he had offers from Michigan and louisville. Always good to beat those guys out for a recruit!
Did Ole Miss offer him as a result?

Ohio State offered Bowman this weekend but he said no thanks I will be a Cat. We got a good one. Thanks Shorts!

Nice pickup by Stoops and company… What a coincidence the next day Ohio State offers… Like others have said hopefully he stays committed to UK..

Good point…he never had speed snd brick hands only base it worse…he could catch some contested 50/50 balls va poorer competition…but when sec teams rolled into town…he was not a good player
Generally, we all know multiple examples of players losing steps after a debilitating or multiple injuries. Maybe it's my fault and I should have said "explosive" instead of "speed", but that connotation is more or less the same in my mind.

Specific to this case, I spoke with someone working in the football S&C offices (started under Korem and stayed behind with the new regime for a bit) at a non-football event in the first half of 2018 (I think?) and asked about Baker. He said the injuries had set him back physically and since he had relied on his athleticism and speed he was going to have to adjust to improving his route-running and catching skills. TFWIW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT