ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction

Lame that we need to click multiple times just to get to a fairly ho-hum take.

"In June, the website was much lower on the Wildcats as they were ranked 29th, but they have moved up to 23rd in these overall rankings. Kentucky's projected record is 20-11, and the SEC record is projected to be 10-8.

If this was the record for Kentucky this season, Kentucky fans would be happy with year one under Coach Pope, but the Wildcats are capable of having a much better season than this. If Kentucky were to go 10-8 in SEC play, they likely wouldn't be a top four seed in the SEC Tournament. Coach Pope has made it clear he is going to Nashville looking to win the SEC Tournament, so the Wildcats would love the double bye.

The SEC is going to be stacked this season, so 10-8 is a very possible outcome for the Wildcats, but Big Blue Nation would be much happier with a 12-6 record which is doable for this team.

Kentucky won't be as fazed on the road as teams have been in the past, knowing this roster is full of veteran players who have played road games in tough environments.

20-11 is a very realistic record for this basketball team, but Kentucky fans feel the Wildcats will perform better than that this season. The Kentucky Wildcats are going to be a sleeper this season, but this team can make a run in the NCAA Tournament."

Prediction from the site:

Overall: 20-11
SEC: 10-8

For reference, a 10-8 record in the SEC would have earned the following seeds in the SEC tournament:

2024: 7-seed
2023: 7-seed
2022: 5-seed
2021: COVID (indeterminate results)
2020: 7-seed
2019: T-6-seed
2018: T-4-seed
2017: T-5-seed
2016: T-6-seed
2015: 7-seed
2014: T-5-seed
2013: T-7-seed

2012 and before: Only played 16 games

So, with a 10-8 record in the SEC, the best UK would be looking at is a tie for the 4th seed in the tournament.

Here are the NCAA tournament seeds by those teams who finished 10-8 in the SEC:

2024: Florida 11-7 (7-seed NCAA)
2023: Auburn 10-8 (9-seed NCAA)
2022: Texas A&M 9-9 (no NCCA)
2021: COVID
2020: NO NCAA
2019: Miss. St. 10-8 (5-seed NCAA), Ole Miss 10-8 (8-seed NCAA)
2018: Kentucky 10-8 (5-seed NCAA), Arkansas 10-8 (7-seed NCAA), Missouri (8-seed NCAA)
2017:
Ole Miss 10-8 (NO NCAA), Alabama 10-8 (NO NCAA), Vanderbilt 10-8 (9-seed NCAA)
2016: Ole Miss 10-8 (NO NCAA), Georgia 10-8 (NO NCAA)
2015: Ole Miss 11-7 (11-seed NCAA), Vanderbilt 9-9 (NO NCAA)
2014: Arkansas 10-8 (NO NCAA)
2013: Arkansas 10-8 (NO NCAA)

The good news is that 10-8 in the SEC means something different in 2024-25 than it did historically. From 2013-2017, 10-8 would barely get your team in the tournament or not at all.

With a 10-8 record, though, we are looking at a 6-9 seed. If we can roll early and have a better overall record than 10-3 coming into conference play, that NCAA tournament seed could be a lot better. Or, if we could beat some of the top SEC teams, and our losses come from those middle teams instead of the bottom-feeders, that would boost a better tourney resume.

I feel like we’re going to be a little better than 20-11 and 10-8. We have good talent, more depth, much more experience, bigger bodies and IMO a real coaching staff. Really excited to start the season.

I’ve been saying the same thing.

20 wins overall and 10 wins in conference is a respectable start for a first year coach with a completely new roster.

I think they will have some postseason success though. I’m saying they win a game or two in the SEC and a game or two in the NCAA.

So I’m thinking probably 22-13 to finish the year.

Reactions: jimmybuffet123
I bet our record will be a lot better than this guy's prediction. I bet our wins total will be closer to 30 wins than it will be to 20. We're going to be a lot better than most people thinks. Loads of experience, tons of depth & 3 point shooters everywhere. And a coach that gives his players the freedom to play loose & free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike-D
I bet our record will be a lot better than this guy's prediction. I bet our wins total will be closer to 30 wins than it will be to 20. We're going to be a lot better than most people thinks.
Hope you are right.

But on paper, our schedule, especially our SEC schedule, looks brutal.

Reactions: true blue1
Lame that we need to click multiple times just to get to a fairly ho-hum take.

"In June, the website was much lower on the Wildcats as they were ranked 29th, but they have moved up to 23rd in these overall rankings. Kentucky's projected record is 20-11, and the SEC record is projected to be 10-8.

If this was the record for Kentucky this season, Kentucky fans would be happy with year one under Coach Pope.
Uh, no they wouldn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT