ADVERTISEMENT

(potential) returning players

Correct. And no reason for him to declare. he has had his feedback twice, and did not get what he needed to hear either time. He has not improved his stock, the late in the year getting able to play, and what good he showed, he also showed the bad with it. So in short, no NBA team has shown they are willing to draft him (he has way too many question marks that need answered), and there are several more proven players (even international guys), that they would feel safer with. He really only has 2 choices, go play overseas, or return to UK. Going to a new school and trying to learn all over again, would not be beneficial to him. He has time in this system and has somewhat struggled to grasp it (not all his fault he missed a lot of time), and learning a whole new one and getting acclimated with a new group of guys would only set him back further. We shall see, but IMO, he returns.

Anyone else think Cal needs to give all the players a deadline of mid April to give him a final decision? We cannot keep waiting until the last moment for players, we have to go after transfers as soon as possible. Put the program first for once

I'd make some sort of deadline. Deadline to decide if you're looking, deadline to decide if you're coming back.

This is a real tricky spot for ALL coaches, and I don't think it's always respected here. Coaches can't just demand these players have all these deadlines. You push enough and they will just transfer to someplace that promises them something.

I'd do a deadline, with the premise of "We just need to fill out our roster, and we'd like to know by this date. Would love to have you back, but we understand you need to do what's best for you"..

Anyone else think Cal needs to give all the players a deadline of mid April to give him a final decision? We cannot keep waiting until the last moment for players, we have to go after transfers as soon as possible. Put the program first for once
Close.
I would say by mid-April if you have not said you are returning, then I am assuming you are not and adding a replacement. If you say you are coming back after that, then you are competing with that replacement for PT.

If Theiro/reed/Z all return that will be enough to make me watch next year as they were 3 of my favorite players on this years team. Reeds play speaks for itself, Theiro was a workhorse but was really playing out of control the last 10 games or so, hope he can clean that up. Love Big Z but I don’t see him flourishing under Cal. He got less effective the more cal had him playing the way cal wanted him to play. For Big Z’s sake I would love to see him transfer and play for a coach that knows how to use his skillset, cal doesn’t nor does he want too. Even with those 3 back, I will not expect much for next years team and think they will struggle and either miss the tourney or get in as an 8-11 seed. Hate it for those 3 but that’s the reality without a competent head coach.

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
What specifically from past experience tells you that anybody coming back with a Calipari lead team is going to be better than they were the previous year?

That's the unseen crutch of the Calipari One and Done Era. If players come back, they don't get better, so they might as well either move to the NBA or transfer some where else.

The good coaches know how to develop players. By the time they are juniors or seniors they are leading the team and helping the freshmen and sophomores pull their weight. Because they've been through full seasons under a coach's leadership for 2 or 3 seasons before - they know what to expect.

I don't think Calipari knows how to develop players. He knows (or used to) how to showcase players for the NBA. Being called a "coach" is just a title that he gets to use while he uses the platform to showcase his players.
I think PJ Washington, Quickley and Nick Richards would probably diasgree that players don't get better and develop by coming back for a second year.

I have zero inside info, but I’ve had a gut feeling for probably the last third of the season that Dillingham probably regretted coming to KY. I just figured he felt like he could’ve gone to another school, been a starter, had just as good if not a better season, and still been just as high on the draft boards.
He always seemed to say the right things when asked but what do you expect him to say?
Now his team lost in the first round to Oakland and his two home state schools are in the sweet 16.
Any scoop on this and am I wrong in my assumption?
Dillingham was happy to go to Kentucky and Calipari did a lot to help him restore his image in the basketball world. Was a lot of negative talk around Rob prior to UK. Rob, Reed, and Antonio were all success stories for Kentucky.

So why bring it back to the top then? It was 12 hours since the last post.
Sorry…...I wasn’t aware there was a time limit.

I should have checked more closely. The HOB Agreement Terms can get very tricky sometimes, especially if one does not update frequently.

Absolute best case scenario next year:
PG: Reed or DJ ( more likely than not we do t have either) Fland backup
SG: Top Portal transfer (Richmond)
SF: Top Portal Transfer (Knox)
PF: Adou (QUAINTANCE)
C: Who the hell knows ( One of the three come back, doesn’t really matter) Portal Center and Somto
Do you think Cal will start ZERO freshmen?

I don’t .

It would be one helluva of a sea change for him.

Needed, but I’ll be surprised, greatly surprised, if he doesn’t start some freshmen.

What do you think?

I don’t .

Needed, but I’ll be surprised, greatly surprised, if he doesn’t start some freshmen.

What do you think?
I think we are HOPING that Cal sees this is his last chance, and to save his job and the added embarrassment (as if his record the past 4 years isn't enough) of getting fired that he plays "the best players" rather than those with the biggest upside. But yeah, I'm skeptical too.

Thiero Gone. damn. he’s one i really wanted to return. who’s next?

I don’t .

What do you think?
Well obviously now that Adou is gone there is a good chance Quantiance starts and if the returning guards fall through Fland may start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT