ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame Cal: "I have no idea"

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022

"Cal, can you put your finger on why they reverted to holding the ball..."

Cal: "I have no idea"

He had 40 minutes of game time to figure out why they were messing up and after the game he still had no idea.

But after a win he can tell you a hundred reasons why his coaching spurred the team to victory.

I guess he just couldn't drag them across the finish line.

Video is cued up.

Cal during timeouts
Sesame Street Idk GIF

He had 40 minutes of game time to figure out why they were messing up and after the game he still had no idea.

But after a win he can tell you a hundred reasons why his coaching spurred the team to victory.

Video is cued up.
Kentucky basketball is something we all used to enjoy and this snake oil salesman has made it miserable and people are apathetic

I really hate it when he says “did you see what I did….” Then he says stupid shit like, “You wouldn’t notice.” Or, “if you really know basketball you will see what I did.”

Dude is so full of shit his eyes are brown.

I know the difference between W’s and L’s, Cal.

I really hate it when he says “did you see what I did….” Then he says stupid shit like, “You wouldn’t notice.” Or, “if you really know basketball you will see what I did.”

LOL ... exactly. I've heard that from him so often and it's not a good look. It's embarrassing and so condescending, even for him. The sad part is that we can't hide him here, either.

Cal is proof the HOF is a joke. He's only in there because he recruited enough great talent to carry his sorry coaching skills. But I guess recruiting is a part of coaching.

This really grinds my gears, man! I agree! It’s 100% a shot at fans. Nobody can convince me otherwise.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
I have no idea how he is a hof coach.
He did a good job at UMASS and had some NBA talent there. Then he went to Memphis and took advantage of having the best program in a crap conference. The same thing has happened to a degree here (SEC has sucked for much of his tenure).

Every Hall of Fame coach has the winning percentage that they do because they all have a ton of cupcakes sprinkled into the schedule each year. But this has been even more true for Cal, especially during his years at Memphis. They not only played a bunch of cupcakes in non-conference play, but the majority of their opponents within the conference were cupcakes also.

Video is cued up.
Well, if you knew, why didn’t you go tell him?

Cal is proof the HOF is a joke. He's only in there because he recruited enough great talent to carry his sorry coaching skills. But I guess recruiting is a part of coaching.
This is the truest statement yet about the man. The only thing I’ll say though is at UMAss he was able to succeed with a great nba player and a team of really good college players. I think that is the model for success. Cal thinks recruiting athletic guards who can’t shoot so he can run dribble drive is the way to go. I don’t know what infected the man’s thinking. To coach oads you gotta be able to coach and coach all in all year. Every player needs intense training but most importantly a lot of time with the head coach. The head coach is making all the calls and the players have to be on the same page. It’s a tough task when they haven’t grown in the program and cal is constantly sending mixed signals.

Part of reeds ability to get out the gate is that he probably watched every uk game in his life. He knows the expectation and even will carve out his own. These other guys need constant attention and cal is always yelling other coaches yelling. Cal contradicts himself coaching from the sidelines just like he does from presser to presser.

Video is cued up.

Well, I know one reason. Cal got a big back, and immediately started playing 2 bigs together, as well as posting the ball. The lanes got clogged, so no more baseline backdoor cuts to the basket. The offense goes stagnant, and we start shooting more long 2's and less 3's. We played exactly how we always do under this dumb sob.

Reactions: TheJuddDome

Video is cued up.
at the beginning of the interview he said he addressed holding the ball, and said to them, they should be driving and/or shooting.. or something similar.

But it is much better just to take one part of interview

Cal has problems, he needs to be replaced... but, I don't get the need to drive an agenda, that some of you have

Reactions: HoneyMoon155
He got UMASS to a final four while beating 96 UK earlier in the season with Camby and four Kroger cashiers. Dude obviously knew how to coach/motivate at one point.
Blind squirrel? Had Camby
He isn’t that guy anymore and hasn’t been for a long time.

Reactions: ukjenning44

Video is cued up.
Terrible response, just a joke of an interaction by our HC during a presser. He clearly hates press conferences when he doesn't have a predetermined agenda lined up, and this is evidence of that. BUT onto the point...

The ball stuck more because Dillingham played more minutes, it's pretty easy to find out. I'm not bashing him for it, I'm just saying - he likes to keep it and bounce it more than anyone else on the court. Next...

We took plenty of shots in transition. So if he's counting those as part of the 45 possessions he's referring to, yes there were instances we threw one pass in transition (or no passes) and took a quick shot.

Other than that, completely on him to make sure he's got a better resolution for this problem. If it was a problem for the first 15 possessions, then no way should it be allowed to get to 45 possessions...

Reactions: TheJuddDome
Does he also have no idea how hideous that jacket looks on camera? My grandmother's sofa looked similar, but better.

Some people examine Calipari's post-game press conference remarks as if they were little fragments of papyrus which might contain the Dead Sea Scrolls.

He hates post-game press conferences. I imagine most coaches share that. Reporters ask elaborate questions and its rare that the coach's answers are responsive to the question or even relative to it. It's clownish to imagine the answers are more than grunts and sighs.

Al McGuire put coaching into perspective. You gotta be smart enough to do it and dumb enough to think it's important. Coach-speak after a game isn't holy writ. It probably isn't even what they're thinking. The answers are just something coming from a mouth, and all they say is this. "I gotta be here for 7 minutes and make noise."

Some people examine Calipari's post-game press conference remarks as if they were little fragments of papyrus which might contain the Dead Sea Scrolls.

He hates post-game press conferences. I imagine most coaches share that. Reporters ask elaborate questions and its rare that the coach's answers are responsive to the question or even relative to it. It's clownish to imagine the answers are more than grunts and sighs.

Al McGuire put coaching into perspective. You gotta be smart enough to do it and dumb enough to think it's important. Coach-speak after a game isn't holy writ. It probably isn't even what they're thinking. The answers are just something coming from a mouth, and all they say is this. "I gotta be here for 7 minutes and make noise."
Funny how he has nothing of value to say after a loss but is ready to brag on himself and have plenty of trash talk to direct at everyone after a win.

Funny how he has nothing of value to say after a loss but is ready to brag on himself and have plenty of trash talk to direct at everyone after a win.
Don't listen to them. I did the other day and it renewed my vow, "Never again."

I listened to some of Hubert Davis' press conference today and it sounded like a lost puppy looking for direction. I think the whole idea of a PC is pretty dumb and worthless most of the time.

Cal is a great coach. He has over 800 wins and has taken every school he’s coached to a FF.

UMass is less of a program than Murray St. They have never been to a FF. They would if Cal coached them.

Memphis was in the dumpster when Cal took over. He took them to a FF. Where have they been since he left?

He beat our ‘96 team with one player and 4 ball boys.

Then went to the FF with that team.

Haven’t to the FF at Memphis with 2 players and 3 ball boys.

He went to his first FF here with Knight and the Pips.

He’s not just a great recruiter, he’s a great coach period.

Everyone in the world knows this except for the CHC.

They know it too. But they are so blinded by pure hatred that they won’t acknowledge it.

Reactions: grevey35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT