ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Presser...

Just listened to Cals 3 part interview with Leach
Opening thought was critical of Reeds turnover
Never complimented him one time in whole interview
Complimented Dillingham & Wagner
Unbelievable
If Wagner, Bradshaw or Edwards fart loud enough, Cal positively talks about it for 3 minutes. But Reed goes for 32 and Cal's like, "He made a bad pass."

Unbelievable
Man, did you even watch this?

It’s kinda gross how Cal downplays Reed and praises DJ. Cal is a coach who doesn’t put UK first. If I hear about how DJ shot 40 percent from 3 before the injury…
He's got to remind the scouts how good DJ is at threes. Because, ya know, no other future NBA draft picks ever come back from injuries and have success from three point range.

Unbelievable
Some players need that, encouragement that is. Reed is built different, Cal doesn't need to keep Reed's confidence up. He has talked about this with other players in the past. Some guys you can yell at them all you want and they can take it, some young guys can't.

Some players need that, encouragement that is. Reed is built different, Cal doesn't need to keep Reed's confidence up. He has talked about this with other players in the past. Some guys you can yell at them all you want and they can take it, some young guys can't.
Uh - didn't you read that Reed has a mental health coach? Maybe he's not quite as strong as you think and could use some encouragement.

Yeah, but it would still be nice to hear something POSITIVE about a game you had your highest career total and won the game on your shot! As opposed to the first thing that comes out of his mouth is a criticism about that player. Disgusting!!

Worst was Cal highlighting a couple of Reed mistakes or decisions. Which were few and far between in last nights game.

Too much praise for Reed only calls into question why he doesn’t start. So Cal will avoid praise at all costs. I think Cal actually resents Reed’s success more than a little bit.

Easily one of my least favorite characteristics of Cal is his propensity to downplay the fans favorite players and focus on a few mistakes rather than the overall amazing performance of that player. If it isn't the most obvious thing then you are just as biased as Cal. It is fine though because more people are noticing and the end is only makes Cal look silly.

Worst was Cal highlighting a couple of Reed mistakes or decisions. Which were few and far between in last nights game.

Too much praise for Reed only calls into question why he doesn’t start. So Cal will avoid praise at all costs. I think Cal actually resents Reed’s success more than a little bit.
He definitely does and he also resented Oscars success the past two years. His glowing talk of how nice it is to have Dj back is something he would NEVER EVER say about Reed had he been out with injuries. It really eats at him that Reed has had so much success. I urge fans to start taking notice of it over these next few months.

IF you listen to post game stuff and get a stroke because your BP skyrocketed, that's on you. Why? And we repeat, why? Why are you listening if not just to get fodder to complain about?

Reactions: shodaman
Uh - didn't you read that Reed has a mental health coach? Maybe he's not quite as strong as you think and could use some encouragement.
Reed has been using a mental health coach since HS at his parents suggestion. I am guessing that was for preparation to be a high D1 athlete since they know the type of pressure that puts on you from experience. He isn't seeing a mental health coach because Cal doesn't compliment him enough. I also guess Cal is aware of this and knows Reed doesn't need the praise that others need because he is prepared mentally for this while they aren't.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
Is this REALLY the youngest team in the country. Not buying what Cal always seems to be selling. The TEAM pulled Cal out of his self-inflicted fire yesterday. Geez Cal, eat some of the pie. You deserve to eat a lot of the humble pie but, not you...

Reactions: KFuqua
IF you listen to post game stuff and get a stroke because your BP skyrocketed, that's on you. Why? And we repeat, why? Why are you listening if not just to get fodder to complain about?
Maybe we like to watch Cal sit up there and look absolutely foolish trying to justify his actions. Is there anything inherently wrong with that or do you just have a personal problem with it?

How ironic. 😂😆😂

LOL at you armchair Dr. Phil's hand-wringing over the proper way to praise or not praise players.

I wonder how many of you are parents. I've raised three kids who are all doing very well in life. You learn from them what their needs are in terms of praise. At times one child is achieving like a superstar and you sense without having to be told that siblings feel they are underachieving and disappointing you. So you build them up while keeping the high-flier tethered to reality. And it is all based on their individual personalities.

Bottom line: Virtually every player who has played under Cal still seeks him out for advice, praises how much he cared for them and how much he taught them and recommends him to recruits. I'll trust his instincts on how he deals with this team over people who have never even met any of the kids involved and have zero insight into who they are.

Last edited:
It’s kinda gross how Cal downplays Reed and praises DJ. Cal is a coach who doesn’t put UK first. If I hear about how DJ shot 40 percent from 3 before the injury…
Another poster went back and did the math and they said Wagner shot 33% from three before the injury.

Is this REALLY the youngest team in the country. Not buying what Cal always seems to be selling. The TEAM pulled Cal out of his self-inflicted fire yesterday. Geez Cal, eat some of the pie. You deserve to eat a lot of the humble pie but, not you...
I don't think it is. I read somewhere it's the 4th youngest. Cal likes the sound of that so it automatically comes out.

• Sad
Reactions: BBUK
Reed has been using a mental health coach since HS at his parents suggestion. I am guessing that was for preparation to be a high D1 athlete since they know the type of pressure that puts on you from experience. He isn't seeing a mental health coach because Cal doesn't compliment him enough. I also guess Cal is aware of this and knows Reed doesn't need the praise that others need because he is prepared mentally for this while they aren't.
Perhaps that's indeed true, but Cal should still give a bit more praise after a performance like that, and maybe he did praise Reed away from the cameras, in the locker room, etc.

😂 he is such a jerk
First thing he said was wanted to choke Reed about throwing that pass late in the game
bragged on Wagner took up for Edwards
Barely bragged on Reed at all….

Ridiculous

I posted this on HOB last night

It is sickening to hear him speak

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman and rob_47
First of all, I am not arguing either side in this thread. But to suggest that a mental health coach is needed due to not being mentally strong is silly. Some of the strongest people in any profession (basketball to the board room) use mental health coaches/doctors for many reasons. It’s not just because they aren’t mentally strong, but it’s because they are that they use these professionals / to keep it that way.

Reactions: shodaman
Unbelievable
Do you mind linking that here? I would love to listen to it for my own morbid curiosity.

Unbelievable
Some of yall are so blinded by your hate for Cal. He never said that at all. Good grief.

Thats part of it, but the other is that's just a think Cal does. He feels the fans reaction to their hometown darlings and feels its his job to tamp that down so that it doesn't become too big and make the other guys feels left out or overlooked. Also a little bit personal too as he knows his perception is one who favors the 5 stars over the Kentucky kids and sometimes is forced into recruiting them and playing them more, so there's some ego protection involved there too. For a guy that doesn't pay attention to the outside stuff he has REALLY BIG sensitivity to it.

Last edited:
1. Don't listen to it. Amazes me some of you still listen to Cal.
2. If you listen to cal you are bound to get upset over it. Don't listen to him.
3. Don't effing listen to him

Reactions: March 22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT