ADVERTISEMENT

Position Groups

creeksman

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2020
Josh Ali recently made this comment on the Behind Kentucky Football podcast: "We're tired of being called the worst group on the team and that's definitely gonna change."

I look for the receivers to step it up this year with a healthy QB throwing to them. Also, even though they haven't produced gaudy receiving stats yet, their blocking has been stellar.

His comment got me thinking about the various position groups, and we are absolutely loaded in some areas. I realize there may be different ways to break up the team into groups, and there's some overlap, but I'm considering them to be QBs, RBs, TEs, OL, WR, DL, LBs, DBs, and K/P. I don't want to guess who will be the worst, so I'll just list my top 3:

1. OL - one of the best in the nation. Kinnard, Jackson, Young, Fortner are all statistically among the top 7 returning OL in the SEC, according to Pro Football Focus.

2. LBs - I give them the nod over DBs based on quality of depth. We can rotate 8-10 guys here without much, if any drop off.

3. DBs - Most likely starters are Robinson, Corker, Joseph, and Echols. Aggressive, fast and physical.

Josh Ali recently made this comment on the Behind Kentucky Football podcast: "We're tired of being called the worst group on the team and that's definitely gonna change."

I look for the receivers to step it up this year with a healthy QB throwing to them. Also, even though they haven't produced gaudy receiving stats yet, their blocking has been stellar.

His comment got me thinking about the various position groups, and we are absolutely loaded in some areas. I realize there may be different ways to break up the team into groups, and there's some overlap, but I'm considering them to be QBs, RBs, TEs, OL, WR, DL, LBs, DBs, and K/P. I don't want to guess who will be the worst, so I'll just list my top 3:

1. OL - one of the best in the nation. Kinnard, Jackson, Young, Fortner are all statistically among the top 7 returning OL in the SEC, according to Pro Football Focus.

2. LBs - I give them the nod over DBs based on quality of depth. We can rotate 8-10 guys here without much, if any drop off.

3. DBs - Most likely starters are Robinson, Corker, Joseph, and Echols. Aggressive, fast and physical.
The one position group I 'm looking forward to see is the wide receivers. They're going to prove to everyone they're really talented and took one for the team last year. They learned how to block extremely well last year, now with healthy QB's it's time for them to show off. I'm sure they must have a chip on their shoulders. Going to be fun.

A great post, but this could be argued, till the cows come home, as I think our TE group and DL group could both push our O-line and LB’s for the best.

If you roll thoughts in your mind about it, you ask if you like Watson, Oats, Square, Davis, Wright, Weaver, Casey, etc. and their potential more than Bohanna, McCall, Hoskins, AAF, Pascal, Mahone, Rogers, etc., and you start to smile! Then you remember the Big Dog saying all his TE’s would play NFL ball. And you start to smile, some more.

It ain’t easy picking from these position groups, as they ALL look as strong or stronger than most the last 40 years.

And I won’t sell short our WR’s, secondary (how many 4 Stars?) or RB’s! All have potential to be among the best units we’ve had in decades.

And here’s one to try to wrap your head around: if a true frosh or two play on defense, there might well be moments when all eleven Kentucky defenders are former Rivals 4 or 5 star graded HS players!!

Stoops ain’t playin’ around!

Last edited:
A great post, but this could be argued, till the cows come home, as I think our TE group and DL group could both push our O-line and LB’s for the best.

If you roll thoughts in your mind about it, you ask if you like Watson, Oats, Square, Davis, Wright, Weaver, Casey, etc. and their potential more than Bohanna, McCall, Hoskins, AAF, Pascal, Mahone, Rogers, etc., and you start to smile! Then you remember the Big Dog saying all his TE’s would play NFL ball. And you start to smile, some more.

It ain’t easy picking from these position groups, as they ALL look as strong or stronger than most the last 40 years.

And I won’t sell short our WR’s, secondary (how many 4 Stars?) or RB’s! All have potential to be among the best units we’ve had in decades.

And here’s one to try to wrap your head around: if a true frosh or two play on defense, there might well be moments when all eleven Kentucky defenders are former Rivals 4 or 5 star graded HS players!!

Stoops ain’t playin’ around!
Need a GIF of the nature boy ... Woo!!

Trying:
https://media.giphy.com/media/125WvQGXcUfEBy/giphy.gif

Even though we don't have an all-star RB, I love the group as a whole. Rose, Smoke, C-Rod, Tisdale, McClain, Drennen, maybe Davis. Very underrated group.

If Terry is fully healthy and not rusty, we're a top-20 team this year.

Easily. Difference between top 25 and top 10 will be production from Receivers and QB.

Defense will once again be good enough to carry a one-dimensional offense, but a versatile offense will complement the lockdown defense quite nicely.

Honestly, I am worried as all hell about special teams. Not punting, but the kickers, and the group being run by committee. The last time we tried that, it went South real quick. Hoping we avoid that this year.

Reactions: ganner918

Why in hell are you just talking about a top 20 team, maybe good enough to beat Thug U but not good enough for Florida and Georgia. It is about time we put it all together. I think we are on a steady upward path and have some very good talent coming back, especially with the freshmen class with more experience, but we lose some good talent too, we need to start making some real progress. There isn't anyone in the east that just blows us away talent wise any more, great talent but no one we shouldn't be able to play with. We couldn't say that before.

The stars are almost aligned for a top 10-15 team. The only question is QB and WR. I have confidence, but we won’t know until game time.

The stars are almost aligned for a top 10-15 team. The only question is QB and WR. I have confidence, but we won’t know until game time.

The only position I am that worried about is the placekicker, and he doesn't have to be an All American. WRs hard to tell yet, we have a lot of new talent and the ones last year didn't have much of a chance to catch passes.

The only position I am that worried about is the placekicker, and he doesn't have to be an All American. WRs hard to tell yet, we have a lot of new talent and the ones last year didn't have much of a chance to catch passes.
I think last year’s guys showed some glimpses that they were talented and could go up and pull the ball down.

Speaking of Ali. After that bowl game will not ever question his effort or his ability. Hope he has a huge year for us. We know it's in him.

Reactions: matt_man

I wouldn't say the "worse" just the most unproven, and somewhat inexperienced group, and because they are under-utilized there is a lot of questions about what we do really have there. We know we have some good blockers but not much beyond that.

I like the fact Josh has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, but I think he started making a name for himself in the Belk Bowl on that last drive with that amazing diving catch on 4th down to keep the winning drive alive, and then the explanation mark by catching the TD pass.

I wouldn't say the "worse" just the most unproven, and somewhat inexperienced group, and because they are under-utilized there is a lot of questions about what we do really have there. We know we have some good blockers but not much beyond that.

I like the fact Josh has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, but I think he started making a name for himself in the Belk Bowl on that last drive with that amazing diving catch on 4th down to keep the winning drive alive, and then the explanation mark by catching the TD pass.
That fourth down catch is one of the most difficult you will ever see IMO. For those that has played, a lot of that had to be a high football reaction and the second part having the hands to secure not easy at all. Would say his confidence grew quite a bit knowing he can make a catch like that from that one play alone.

Reactions: Deeeefense
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT