ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Rankings -vs- Fit

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
If Mahaney to UConn does anything, it should quiten the people who complain about the rankings of our incoming transfers.

TOS has Mahaney ranked 17th. The bigger desire for coaches is how a player fits with what they want to do. Mahaney fit what Pope wants to do, and he obviously fits with what Hurley wants to do. I'm also convinced our committed players also fit with what Pope wants to do.

I'll take all the top transfers we can get as long as they fit. Players don't always fit together. (Look at Arkansas last year. Maybe, they fit together too much if rumors are true!)

Osobar is top 5 and small is #2. I would certainly take both players! My point is, Hurley has proven how to put a roster together and I think Pope and other coaches are following that blueprint. I'm ready to how this roster comes together. I trust the scheme to score enough points. It looks like we have some excellent on-ball defenders and will not be in constant scramble mode on defense giving up wide open 3's or watching a layup drill.

Is there anyone complaining about rankings? I think people who are talking about Butler are saying he doesn't fit because he can't shoot.

How many portal players will actually end up in the NBA? Maybe I can count them each year on one hand?
Maybe 2 hands? So you get the best college players that have generally stayed or will stay in college for 4 years and need to mold them to fit your needs. As long as the best players are in the NBA in 19-22 age class, you might have a chance.

Having a highly rated portal class doesn't mean it will translate to wins and a trip to the NCAA tournament.

Is there anyone complaining about rankings? I think people who are talking about Butler are saying he doesn't fit because he can't shoot.
Complainers are few, but loud. This typical for Internet and life ;- )

Regarding stats, Butler shot considerably better in yrs 2 & 3. I didn’t watch them play and have no clue about his usage. My first guess is they had him doing too much last year. But, that’s just a guess.

His FT% dropped 18% while his minutes played just increased by 2 mins a game. That’s a huge drop. I haven’t heard anything about playing through an injury.

My bigger point is that Pope seems to have a plan instead of wanting the top available players regardless of fit. We’ve seen how 6-7 players with great potential upside works out.

Having a highly rated portal class doesn't mean it will translate to wins and a trip to the NCAA tournament.
What was Arkansas transfer ranking last year? That was pre Cal so I’m not going to slam him with what happened. Cal basically took the same approach with hs players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT