ADVERTISEMENT

Pope visiting JQ tom

I think one of the selling points is UK players make more $ long term even in the NBA because UK fans buy their merchandise. I even bought a pair of Mashburn Fila shoes back in the day 😀
I don’t think JQ will come to UK though 😏

Glad to hear honestly, I think his NIL ask is crazy but I’d love to keep him for a reasonable price for 2 years.
Same. I wouldn’t give him what he’s asking for in NIL. He’s gonna be 17 all season & his ranking is based on the potential of what he can become, not what he is now. He’s pretty raw & likely won’t be a big producer next year.

So, zero chance I’d give him $1.5M or whatever his asking price is. For that kind of $ I better be getting an all-conference level season. And, I just don’t see that happening as a 17 year old FR. He’s too young & too raw to produce enough to justify $1.5M, IMO.

Maybe if there was a guarantee that he’d stay for his SO season. I know he has to stay in school 2 years, but, it would be hard for me to take any kid at his word in the current “highest bidder” climate. But, I’d absolutely go all in on him at a discount if he’s willing to come down on his price.

I think the odds are strong that he will develop into a beast his SO year. But, $1.5M is too much for me to take that risk with the very real possibility that he doesn’t play or contribute much in year 1, collects his $ & then transfers out, giving us little to no ROI. That kind of $ could be better spent somewhere else, IMO. Especially, if Osobor is imminent.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
His fit is being the best HS player in the country. If you cant fit that then we have a bad coach
He was not the best HS basketball player last year, but he's a very good athlete. Under Pope he might become a very good college basketball player.

From what I've seen of him, anyway. His competition in his HS league didn't give him enough competition to grow.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
NIL will become everyone’s big secret from the school President, the AD, Coaches in all sports. In fact these numbers of 1 million- 5 Million, 20 Million. 1 Billion most major Universities have Billions to spend on whatever they want. These cooperatives IMHO are just a front for news reports but the amount of cash they really have are unlimited

Waste of time. Let it go.

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

JQ is an elite talent. He fits perfectly. He's a tremendous passer and has a chance to be the best player in this class when he matures. I mean he was big boying some guys at the Jordan game and he's a baby still.

I don't think he'll choose UK, but glad Coach is visiting with him. While he's at it, hope he visits with Boogie Fland too because that guy just knows how to play the PG position/winning basketball. Boogie's said he's wide open to all suitors as well. This is one I'd love to see come back into fold but again-not expecting it to happen.

If Pope could pull this recruit off it would be more than just getting the services of a young replaceable player but establish his recruiter creds which is important for competing in the future.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd love for UK to offer this kid a million to come here and $1.5 million if he stays a second year. He's a beast. Plus, it would serve as a giant middle finger to Calipari.

With no Reed, we have the salary cap to add guys like JQ. Basketball NIL is over $5 million now per season. Guys like Davis and JQ could split the cash that Reed would have made.

Reactions: EliteBlue
JQ is an elite talent. He fits perfectly. He's a tremendous passer and has a chance to be the best player in this class when he matures. I mean he was big boying some guys at the Jordan game and he's a baby still.

I don't think he'll choose UK, but glad Coach is visiting with him. While he's at it, hope he visits with Boogie Fland too because that guy just knows how to play the PG position/winning basketball. Boogie's said he's wide open to all suitors as well. This is one I'd love to see come back into fold but again-not expecting it to happen.

Of course I know nothing but doesn't it feel like fland and especially jq are using UK to just run up the chicken money?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT