ADVERTISEMENT

Pope says no to Coach O

I do not agree with this. He's been a coach here for a long time. Recruiting took a upturn when he came back. He knows the landscape of college basketball recruiting as good as anybody yea?
I can't believe the stupidity I've seen from this program over the last 2 weeks. One after the other. One after the other.
We used to always make the best decisions.

it's Orlando antiqua. wake up! It hurts Cow to lose him and it hurts Cow even more to keep Orlando.
ESPN would cover this news. I know them. They would find this interesting. As they should because it's his fault not ours. This is more to our side than his. Keep Orlando it's a good move.

Damn for a minute I thought we made a genius move. He's already lost a 5 star player to ohio st and a 5 star recruiting coach. That says something...
Are you on dope? Your sh1t reads like it.

You have to realize that there are folks on this site who, if they're being honest, only care about one thing: NBA draft picks. These fools are only looking for a leg up on their gambling habits. They hang around this site looking for the scoop on players. I know, someone I work with who gambles (parlays all that, trading and selling cards) A LOT and it's all he talks about .... "draft pick bla bla bla".
Damn dude take off your tin foil hat. You are really running with all kinds of conspiracy theories. I do not know ONE poster (bad or good poster) who only comes here to "get a leg up on their gambling habits." That is it, you caught them, we have soooo many insiders on here giving scoops on players and people are using it for their gambling gains. LOL, "parlays and all that", that sounds really stupid of a comment, and the worst part of your juvenile, moronic post "trading and selling cards". WTF does trading and selling trader cards have anything to do with gambling ? How can they come here, gain inside scoops, and somehow the scoop makes the players card worth more money ??? Stop and look at all the BS you are implying (with ZERO thread of proof), it sounds really stupid and uninformed. Do you actually have a clue what you are posting is suppose to mean ? We have a LOT of crazy fans posting here, but the shit you post is almost unbelievable that you are being serious. I surely hope you do not really believe all the BS you post.

I'm curious, what exactly did Ulis do last year? Anytime I saw him, he wasn't really interacting or teaching, just watching the game.
And another point, During timeouts, Ulis was seen several times talking one on one with players. I am sure he wasn't making plans for what clubs or restaurants they was going to after the game. One of two things is possible (or both actually after reading your post), you either didn't pay attention during games, or you do not have the slightest clue what you are talking about. After thinking about it, BOTH are accurate on your part.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Ulis definitely talked to the guards a lot . He probably could communicate with them when Cal would yell at them.

The entire team liked him .

As for Coach O I liked him but it Pope has his staff it is what it is . Hopefully they are very good at what they do

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
If there was 1 coach I wanted to stay it was O. He wasn't a great coach but a elite recruit whisperer.

That said I likely do same thing. O was one of Cals closest ties on staff and Cal didn't leave here on good terms . It's one thing if Cal retired but as it happened I can understand the thsnks but no thsnks.

Especially Ulis because he is loyal to Cal.
It's not personal. It's business.
Can he not be BOTH ? Loyal to UK and Cal ? So by that train of thought, NONE of the players should be able to come back. The players who Cal signed, if they do not follow him, should not be able to come back (if any wanted to). And some of the posters suggesting O could call Cal and leak info, yada yada yada, that is tin foil hat conspiracy theory BS. Not saying YOU are in that group, but go back and read some of these post. I was actually quite shocked that people would even believe the stuff they posted.

Last edited:
OK I will play the conspiracy theory craziness. What IF BYU is so upset with Pope for leaving, they are planting moles at UK by telling players and coaches to take a position on Popes team, then leak info of what he is doing so everyone in college basketball will know what the plans are ? Crazy is it not? Just like some of the stuff already posted. I do not believe what I posted is even remotely a possibility, just like I do not believe what other posters are throwing out there.

I'm thinking Pope didn't' want a possible situation where OA is leaking info to other coaches ...... (cough)
Dear lord, you cannot possibly believe this. You actually believe that one of the top assistant coaches in college basketball with a 20+ year career at multiple top d1 programs would stay on at a school he'd invested over a decade in as an assistant coach and secretly have a plan to act as a double-agent for another program - pretending to try to recruit players but all the while secretly undermining his host school. Like "The Americans". Maybe he'd have burner phones and meet secretly with contacts from Arkansas at the Midway, KY Shell gas station.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
Absolutely stupid and pisses me off. Pope won’t have a single person on staff that’s even half as good of a recruiter as Antigua. Just remember this move everytime we have to take some 2/3 star that has no business being here. Orlando is the single best recruiter UK has ever had.

It’s one thing to have to give Pope a few years to build the program back but when he’s having to struggle but it’s another when he’s turning down help that could build it back in half the time. His staff better be loaded is all I’ll say, and I have a feeling it won’t be.

Can he not be BOTH ? Loyal to UK and Cal ? So by that train of thought, NONE of the players should be able to come back. The players who Cal signed, even if they do not follow him, should not be able to come back (if any wanted to). And some of the posters suggesting O could call Cal and leak info, yada yada yada, that is tin foil hat conspiracy theory BS. Not saying YOU are in that group, but go back and read some of these post. I was actually quite shocked that people would even believe the stuff they posted.
If these assistants are so great, why didn't Cal take them with him?

Dear lord, you cannot possibly believe this. You actually believe that one of the top assistant coaches in college basketball with a 20+ year career at multiple top d1 programs would stay on at a school he'd invested over a decade in as an assistant coach and secretly have a plan to act as a double-agent for another program - pretending to try to recruit players but all the while secretly undermining his host school. Like "The Americans". Maybe he'd have burner phones and meet secretly with contacts from Arkansas at the Midway, KY Shell gas station.
And you don't really believe he wasn't a Cal guy, do you? Anyone who would work with Cal TWICE is someone I want nowhere near the program. He was also involved in violations at his head coaching job, you don't want that around these kids, I assure you Pope doesn't. Arkansas >>>>>

Absolutely stupid and pisses me off. Pope won’t have a single person on staff that’s even half as good of a recruiter as Antigua. Just remember this move everytime we have to take some 2/3 star that has no business being here. Orlando is the single best recruiter UK has ever had.

It’s one thing to have to give Pope a few years to build the program back but when he’s having to struggle but it’s another when he’s turning down help that could build it back in half the time. His staff better be loaded is all I’ll say, and I have a feeling it won’t be.
Another one. Bye.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
If there was 1 coach I wanted to stay it was O. He wasn't a great coach but a elite recruit whisperer.

That said I likely do same thing. O was one of Cals closest ties on staff and Cal didn't leave here on good terms . It's one thing if Cal retired but as it happened I can understand the thsnks but no thsnks.
From what we saw this past season, NONE of the assistant coaches were really doing much outside of recruiting. Pope wants guys who will be heavily invested in getting UK back to where it was in the 90's. That requires having staff who can actually TEACH in practices and games, not be a soft shoulder for someone to cry on.

From what we saw this past season, NONE of the assistant coaches were really doing much outside of recruiting. Pope wants guys who will be heavily invested in getting UK back to where it was in the 90's. That requires having staff who can actually TEACH in practices and games, not be a soft shoulder for someone to cry on.
Pope and his BYU guys have the coaching part covered. What they don’t have is someone who can recruit. Orlando is a wining lottery ticket that fell in Popes lap and Mark let it fly out the window going down the road. Absolutely stupid.

It wouldn’t matter if Orlando didn’t do a single thing other than recruit. He’s more than worth having on staff and is worth two of the guys Mark will bring in.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If these assistants are so great, why didn't Cal take them with him?
Didn't say they are great. But what I DID say is," just because the coach leaves, it should not be automatic that the assistants have to leave'. Try and pay attention, read, even re-read if you have to understand what you are reading.

Last edited:
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN
You think corporate espionage doesn't happen, or teams don't try to steal other team's signals and playbooks, I'm guessing?

Didn't say they are great. But what I DID say is," just because the coach leaves, it should be automatic that the assistants have to leave'. Try and pay attention, read, even re-read if you have to understand what you are reading.
Well, you seem upset enough to start a thread on why they are being asked to skedaddle, so what else should we infer from that other than they are too good to be let go?
And yes, that is typically the way it works. Clean house and start anew.

Well, you seem upset enough to start a thread on why they are being asked to skedaddle, so what else should we infer from that other than they are too good to be let go?
And yes, that is typically the way it works. Clean house and start anew.
OK, I WILL SLOW IT DOWN FOR YOU, so that you can understand better. READ, REREAD if you have to, you are clearly, HAVING A PROBLEM WITH COMPREHENSION.

I DID NOT START THIS THREAD, NOR HAVE I STARTED ANY THREAD. So no, I didn't not actually feel upset enough to start a thread on it. BUT, if you keep showing your ignorance, I might become upset enough to actually start a thread showing everyone how clueless you are and your lack of reading comprehension. But for now, I will try to keep my composure and NOT start a thread. Just do me a favor,,,, READ and REREAD if need be, but actually know what is being said BEFORE you try to debate a topic with ANYONE, not just me.

Good Luck, I have a feeling you are going to need it.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
OK, I WILL SLOW IT DOWN FOR YOU, so that you can understand better. READ, REREAD if you have to, you are clearly, HAVING A PROBLEM WITH COMPREHENSION.

I DID NOT START THIS THREAD, NOR HAVE I STARTED ANY THREAD. So no, I didn't not actually feel upset enough to start a thread on it. BUT, if you keep showing your ignorance, I might become upset enough to actually start a thread showing everyone how clueless you are and your lack of reading comprehension. But for now, I will try to keep my composure and NOT start a thread. Just do me a favor,,,, READ and REREAD if need be, but actually know what is being said BEFORE you try to debate a topic with ANYONE, not just me.

Good Luck, I have a feeling you are going to need it.
Wow that sure regressed into childish condescension and an ad hominem tirade. Sorry, you did not start the thread. I was attempting to have a discussion. Clearly you can't keep your composure when someone has diametrically opposed ideas about a subject.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
You think corporate espionage doesn't happen, or teams don't try to steal other team's signals and playbooks, I'm guessing?
That is completely different and has nothing to do with the accusation of an assistant coach secretly working as a f-ing "sleeper agent" to undermine the program he is currently employed by for the benefit of another program. In your scenarios the coach is still working on behalf of (even if it's outside the rules) the program that hired him. I'm going to go outside and beat my head against a wall for a while. I'm not a drinker but some of y'all are going to have me repeating the serenity prayer just to maintain my sanity. :oops:

You ok? Take your Zoloft today?
God idk what I’d do without my Zoloft and adderal!

Edit, forgot what I was saying:

I’m not sure Coach O was a Cal guy. I thought I seen him and Cal going at it a few times on the bench this year. He may dislike that POS as much as the rest of us.

Why doesn't O just retire and live in Lexington? He's made enough dough surely.
His wife probably won't let him. He's only 51 years old.

He could presumably have another 10 years of making $500,000 to $700,000/year as an assistant and net another few million for their family.

He made almost $900,000 last year as an assistant. That's around $25,000 every two weeks for the family pay check.

That's a lot of cash to get used to and probably affords a pretty upper level lifestyle. Most men could make two years of that kind of money work for a lifetime, but when you factor in wives and their expectations when they get used to that type of money, not so much.

OA was good at bringing in OAD talent it seemed but I don't know what his X and O responsibility was. I don't know if Cal allowed any other coach to have input on the floor. It seemed like maybe he didn't with his interactions with his assistants during games at times. We have to remember this: Pope is going to recruit different types of players from what KENTUCKY has gotten for the last 15 years. There may not be many OADs anymore. He has a system that requires a different skill set. He's going to have assistants that have a certain responsibility for different X and O strategies. The type of players he needs for his system will probably be easier to recruit because OAD schools aren't likely to be after them so much.
a lot of NBA teams run a very similar system

Damn dude take off your tin foil hat. You are really running with all kinds of conspiracy theories. I do not know ONE poster (bad or good poster) who only comes here to "get a leg up on their gambling habits." That is it, you caught them, we have soooo many insiders on here giving scoops on players and people are using it for their gambling gains. LOL, "parlays and all that", that sounds really stupid of a comment, and the worst part of your juvenile, moronic post "trading and selling cards". WTF does trading and selling trader cards have anything to do with gambling ? How can they come here, gain inside scoops, and somehow the scoop makes the players card worth more money ??? Stop and look at all the BS you are implying (with ZERO thread of proof), it sounds really stupid and uninformed. Do you actually have a clue what you are posting is suppose to mean ? We have a LOT of crazy fans posting here, but the shit you post is almost unbelievable that you are being serious. I surely hope you do not really believe all the BS you post.
you know you are talking to a Memphis troll
now that Cal is gone he has to change direction on his/her (how ever they identify today) trolling

Was it ever confirmed that Cal wanted to take him? Seems like he had Payne tabbed for that spot.

Wow that sure regressed into childish condescension and an ad hominem tirade. Sorry, you did not start the thread. I was attempting to have a discussion. Clearly you can't keep your composure when someone has diametrically opposed ideas about a subject.
No, not really. I simply called you out on things that you quoted me a saying that I simply did not say. You did not do it once, you did it twice. That told me you where not trying to have a discussion (at least not a fact based, intelligent one), so when I figured out your intentions, I called your ass out. Pretty simple really. Childish ? When adults act like a child, they get treated as one. In the future, if you want to have discussions and keep it 100, how about quoting with a poster actually said if you want to quote them, engage in conversation. That is all for you, no more time will be wasted on a "Memphis troll" as one poster suggested. If true, that explains a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT