ADVERTISEMENT

Pope is going to have to prove himself

I want to see the final roster and see what Pope can do with the pieces he's assembling. I like this team better top to bottom than our last four teams for a few reasons. There's balance and some very purposeful decision making in who we've brought in. We've also got a few guys who can play physical defense. He's a few missing pieces away from a squad that will be a tough out for anyone not named UConn.

If we stay healthy and get things rolling, anything can happen in the NIL era. The replacements will likely catch teams used to Cal ball off guard. In addition, film of BYU won't be a great deal of help for opponents. Pope mixes things up and tries different concepts to keep opposing teams off guard. This team will likely not play exactly like his BYU squads.

Not just to many in the fanbase but, to recruits and transfers as well.
TBH, Pope is playing catch up and trying to fill a roster with the best players available. But, we do need 1-2 break you down scorers.
This situation kinda feels like Pitino's UK team before he signed Mashburn. We had some good role players and all would become excellent shooters. But, it took signing Mashburn to really start things rolling.
And it may not happen for him this year. The 24-25 season may end up being a 'steady the ship' sort of year that allows Pope to focus on implementing his system and getting the staff comfortable working together. That means we may not be playing next March. And I would be OK with that for one year. I mean we missed the tournament Twice under the previous coach!
I remain fully supportive and cautiously optimistic.
giphy.gif

We don't know anything yet. He could be a world-beater or a bad hire and anywhere in between. I know the roster isn't complete and he hasn't coached a single game yet. But, so much remains unknown at this early stage. What kind of team chemistry will this group have? And how can you know that until the roster is complete and practice has started?
I don't ever want to go down the path of comparing Pope with the previous coach. It's apples and oranges (thankfully).
And yes, I talk to several fans who are in the same frame of thought on Pope as I am. We all want him to be wildly successful because he's a breath of fresh air and one of us. But, UK isn't BYU and this is a definite step up.
Finally someone with some sense. I have read some posters talking about National championships this year and trying to compare this roster to Purdue. It's crazy.

TBH, Pope is playing catch up and trying to fill a roster with the best players available. But, we do need 1-2 break you down scorers.
This situation kinda feels like Pitino's UK team before he signed Mashburn. We had some good role players and all would become excellent shooters. But, it took signing Mashburn to really start things rolling.
And it may not happen for him this year. The 24-25 season may end up being a 'steady the ship' sort of year that allows Pope to focus on implementing his system and getting the staff comfortable working together. That means we may not be playing next March. And I would be OK with that for one year. I mean we missed the tournament Twice under the previous coach!
🤣

This. He literally has un upgrade at every starting spot compared to BYU roster.

Schedule won't be much harder either, if at all.

Maybe I'm downing too much blue Kool aid but I have a hard time understanding how we will be any worse than we were last year.

Sure we had generational shooting last year. We also had no offense in the paint. No defense to speak of. No willingness to change things up. Still had a decent season.

Give Pope several months with this crew and they will be fully capable at making a run for the SEC regular season. No doubt in my mind.
He might have a better roster than he previously had at BYU, but the competition is also going to be much better playing in the SEC.

Bullshit!!! Nobody lost its entire roster AND all but one of its recruiting class AFTER the NCAA Tournament. All of the top hundred recruits were committed and coaching staffs had been recruiting the best portal players at least 2 weeks before he was hired. He has only had a full staff for about 2 weeks. As for realistic expectations related to portal and NIL your are just spouting what you THINK as this is only the 2nd real year of this system so a realistic baseline for the norm has not been established. Once again NOBODY has been forced to field a team under conditions AND the limited time frame Pope has faced. This thread is mainly a bunch of guys grousing because YOUR guy didn't get hired and setting a bar year one so high it can't be reached. Then next year you all can sit on your high horses and smugly tell us " I told you so". Give Pope a FAIR chance which might mean lowering expectations for next year ( a waste of time because I know some will not)
Coaches going to a new program start over most of the time. I bet you there were several instances of it happening again this year. This is not uncommon and happens all the time.

Bullshit!!! Nobody lost its entire roster AND all but one of its recruiting class AFTER the NCAA Tournament. All of the top hundred recruits were committed and coaching staffs had been recruiting the best portal players at least 2 weeks before he was hired. He has only had a full staff for about 2 weeks. As for realistic expectations related to portal and NIL your are just spouting what you THINK as this is only the 2nd real year of this system so a realistic baseline for the norm has not been established. Once again NOBODY has been forced to field a team under conditions AND the limited time frame Pope has faced. This thread is mainly a bunch of guys grousing because YOUR guy didn't get hired and setting a bar year one so high it can't be reached. Then next year you all can sit on your high horses and smugly tell us " I told you so". Give Pope a FAIR chance which might mean lowering expectations for next year ( a waste of time because I know some will not)
Not lowering expectations because we hired a guy who played here. And you have extra fuzzies for him. Oats replaced his entire team and staff and went to the FF. Pope understands the assignment and expectations. He said dont lower your expectations at his presser, so why are you?

He did. And the seat got so hot that he essentially got forced out.
Bullshit. Cal held all the cards and had MB by the balls with his stupid contract. Why do you all keep lying about what happened? He absolutely wasn't forced out. That two faced POS worked behind the scenes for months and found a new set of suckers to buy his snake oil.

OAKLAND, bro. We are talking about Oakland. In Michigan. And the dude who beat us came from Hillsdale. C'mon.
Were you delighted this year when we ended the season after the tournament ranked 20th? That is my only point. I stated a fact. No one will be "delighted" if after the tournament next year we are ranked 25th. As a matter of fact, I've never seen anyone on this site delighted.

Coaches going to a new program start over most of the time. I bet you there were several instances of it happening again this year. This is not uncommon and happens all the time.
Name one example where a coach lost the entire roster, not most mind you ALL , and all but one of his recruiting class AFTER NCAA tournament and had a great year the next season,I'll wait.

Not lowering expectations because we hired a guy who played here. And you have extra fuzzies for him. Oats replaced his entire team and staff and went to the FF. Pope understands the assignment and expectations. He said dont lower your expectations at his presser, so why are you?
Oates did not replace Every player on his roster AND lose his entire recruiting class that year,nor was he forced to assemble a new staff in one week. He also had time to get coaches he wanted assembled BEFORE the "transfer portal season " began not 3 weeks into it like Pope did. Those are significant differences from what our coach has been facing. I just see a bunch of fans here pissed off that Pope was hired and determined to sink him before he even has a chance to prove himself. I might add the new coaching God Hurley didn't get to Sweet 16 until his 3 or 4 year. No way you guys will ever give Pope a fraction of that.

Oates did not replace Every player on his roster AND lose his entire recruiting class that year,nor was he forced to assemble a new staff in one week. He also had time to get coaches he wanted assembled BEFORE the "transfer portal season " began not 3 weeks into it like Pope did. Those are significant differences from what our coach has been facing. I just see a bunch of fans here pissed off that Pope was hired and determined to sink him before he even has a chance to prove himself. I might add the new coaching God Hurley didn't get to Sweet 16 until his 3 or 4 year. No way you guys will ever give Pope a fraction of that.
I don't see anybody determined to sink Pope. I see people who realize the hire was risky and are asking questions. I do see tons of fanboys jumping down the necks of people. And building up strawmen if they dare question Pope. Becuase he played here 30 years ago and makes them feel nostalgic. The OP is right. Pope is gonna have to prove that he can win big games, and can coach in the post-season. He's gonna have to prove he can relate and recruit big name players. I know that's gonna get people riled up, because you just hate Pope. But it's the truth. The facts are he's never won a NCAAT game, and has never got a player to the NBA (important for recruits). And I'm not going to lower my expectations of sweet 16 or better year one because he played here 30 years ago and won a title. The dude has 6 million dollars in NIL and a top shelf staff. He understands the assignment. So let's see if he passes.

Also, Hurley was coming into a program that was fresh off probation. Pope is coming into a program that had hit a skid in post-season success. But was still highly ranked and winning 20+ games every year. And top 3 to 4 in their conference evert year. With no NCAA violations.

Last edited:
I don't see anybody determined to sink Pope. I see people who realize the hire was risky and are asking questions. I do see tons of fanboys jumping down the necks of people. And building up strawmen if they dare question Pope. Becuase he played here 30 years ago and makes them feel nostalgic. The OP is right. Pope is gonna have to prove that he can win big games, and can coach in the post-season. He's gonna have to prove he can relate and recruit big name players. I know that's gonna get people riled up, because you just hate Pope. But it's the truth.
Alot of what you have to say about Pope having to prove himself is true, and I wasn't aiming all of my comments at you,but my question is how long will he be given to do so. I watched the ridiculous expectations Cal and his followers ramped up each year and it had a devastating effect on our fan base and program because for half a decade he didn't come anywhere close to meeting them. Frankly Pope wouldn't have been my first choice for this job but here he is. I HAVE been pleasantly surprised with his performance so far given the significant obstacles I have mentioned. I also question if our fan base can accept the totally different culture he is trying to build compared to what Cal did. Will it be successful I don't know but I do know it might take more than one season to get there. I read countless threads over the last 2 years where people lamented about how bare the cupboard would be when Cal left. Now that that has happened many act like that was never even a consideration and we need to compete for a title or high tourney finish next year. That seems unrealistic to me.

Alot of what you have to say about Pope having to prove himself is true, and I wasn't aiming all of my comments at you,but my question is how long will he be given to do so. I watched the ridiculous expectations Cal and his followers ramped up each year and it had a devastating effect on our fan base and program because for half a decade he didn't come anywhere close to meeting them. Frankly Pope wouldn't have been my first choice for this job but here he is. I HAVE been pleasantly surprised with his performance so far given the significant obstacles I have mentioned. I also question if our fan base can accept the totally different culture he is trying to build compared to what Cal did. Will it be successful I don't know but I do know it might take more than one season to get there. I read countless threads over the last 2 years where people lamented about how bare the cupboard would be when Cal left. Now that that has happened many act like that was never even a consideration and we need to compete for a title or high tourney finish next year. That seems unrealistic to me.
I've been impressed with his staff hiring and early recruiting sucesses as well. But he still needs to finish out the big pieces. If he gets Chaz over UT I will be feeling a lot better. I'm perfectly fine with a ''bridge year''. Where we aren't a title favorite. And I have said I think year 2 or 3 is where you will see what Pope can do at UK. But a bridge year to me is a sweet 16 and 25 wins. Not a 1st or 2nd round loss as an 8-9 seed. I simply can't take another year of being pseudo-competitive and losing in the 1st or 2nd round. The fanbase is STARVED for success. We've seen UNC and Duke go to final fours and title games. Kansas win a title and UCONN win 2 titles back to back. Even UCLA got a final four. While we sit at home each year losing in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Or hell some years just outright missing the tourney. Even our SEC rivals are making deep runs now.

So you're hinting the last 7 years of the snake oil salesman brand of ball was good in this post Pope will bring back normalcy to Kentucky

Awesome post

And yes, I talk to several fans who are in the same frame of thought on Pope as I am. We all want him to be wildly successful because he's a breath of fresh air and one of us. But, UK isn't BYU and this is a definite step up.
what coach could come to UK and it not be a step up?

every coach has to prove himself at UK,....every year

Hell cals roster was better than UConn this season
Roster is just one part of it
THIS!! All this talk about roster and missing pieces as a way to worry and gnash teeth is forgetting that coaching plays a HUGE part in the success of the team. You can't look at stats of individual players coming in and say we won't be any good (plus the players we do have coming in look outstanding).

I do understand that a large part of our fan base has been brainwashed to think that way, though.

Lol. ALL coaches have to prove themselves EVERY year. Everyone knows this. Why is this a topic????

Does anyone not think that Pope's current roster is already more talented than his roster last year at BYU? I will be shocked if we are worse than a 5 seed in the tourney next year.
That’s different tho. Didn’t he have guys who played together and knew the system? Trying to mesh 10 new players isn’t just a guarantee no matter the experience

Another ignorant thread. We just got rid of a mfer that hadn’t proved himself over the last decade. It’s his first year here. He need not prove anything. He’s rebuilding a hijacked program. Why don’t we let him build a team, and play a game before we start with this silliness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT