ADVERTISEMENT

Pope is going to have to prove himself

Blueworld_3.0

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2008
Not just to many in the fanbase but, to recruits and transfers as well.
TBH, Pope is playing catch up and trying to fill a roster with the best players available. But, we do need 1-2 break you down scorers.
This situation kinda feels like Pitino's UK team before he signed Mashburn. We had some good role players and all would become excellent shooters. But, it took signing Mashburn to really start things rolling.
And it may not happen for him this year. The 24-25 season may end up being a 'steady the ship' sort of year that allows Pope to focus on implementing his system and getting the staff comfortable working together. That means we may not be playing next March. And I would be OK with that for one year. I mean we missed the tournament Twice under the previous coach!
I remain fully supportive and cautiously optimistic.

TBH, Pope is playing catch up and trying to fill a roster with the best players available. But, we do need 1-2 break you down scorers.
This situation kinda feels like Pitino's UK team before he signed Mashburn. We had some good role players and all would become excellent shooters. But, it took signing Mashburn to really start things rolling.
And it may not happen for him this year. The 24-25 season may end up being a 'steady the ship' sort of year that allows Pope to focus on implementing his system and getting the staff comfortable working together. That means we may not be playing next March. And I would be OK with that for one year. I mean we missed the tournament Twice under the previous coach!
I don't think they have any issue making the tournament with the current roster. I would be very surprised.

Improve, or what? It's like you're hanging on for dear life in an attempt to not say you thought he was a bad hire. You "remain" fully supportive and cautiously optimistic? He's not even coached a game yet, and already you're seemingly questioning every move. RELAX. He doesn't need to prove himself to any fan that I personally know, because we already know the guy can coach and he's the complete opposite of the fraud/narcissist that left because he was going to be held accountable for once.

Improve, or what? It's like you're hanging on for dear life in an attempt to not say you thought he was a bad hire. You "remain" fully supportive and cautiously optimistic? He's not even coached a game yet, and already you're seemingly questioning every move. RELAX. He doesn't need to prove himself to any fan that I personally know, because we already know the guy can coach and he's the complete opposite of the fraud/narcissist that left because he was going to be held accountable for once.
We don't know anything yet. He could be a world-beater or a bad hire and anywhere in between. I know the roster isn't complete and he hasn't coached a single game yet. But, so much remains unknown at this early stage. What kind of team chemistry will this group have? And how can you know that until the roster is complete and practice has started?
I don't ever want to go down the path of comparing Pope with the previous coach. It's apples and oranges (thankfully).
And yes, I talk to several fans who are in the same frame of thought on Pope as I am. We all want him to be wildly successful because he's a breath of fresh air and one of us. But, UK isn't BYU and this is a definite step up.

So, Pope has to “prove himself.” But not this year? Why? He’s starting out not that much worse than a lot of programs who lost nearly everyone, and with the Kentucky name and very fat NIL bankroll. If he can’t “prove himself” this year by at least making the tournament he’s probably not ready for the job.

For the record, I figure the Cats will be a 6-7 seed.
All good points. But, he has had to rely almost entirely on the portal, assemble a new staff and set up the program the way he wants it run. It's a big change for all involved. I'll give him a mulligan if this season doesn't turn out like we all hope (expect?) it will.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Exactly. 6 million in NIL or whatever, we better make tourney.
We have 9 players, let's say we add Lanier, Robinson and Noàh...does that help. Is that enough shooters like some want..I mean Pope plays his bench. He uses players for his offensive and defensive schemes. He's not devoted to a set limit.

Does anyone not think that Pope's current roster is already more talented than his roster last year at BYU? I will be shocked if we are worse than a 5 seed in the tourney next year.
I hope you are right. A #5 seed in the NCAA-T is a top 25 finish and I would be delighted with that.

Reactions: MO_Blue
We don't know anything yet. He could be a world-beater or a bad hire and anywhere in between. I know the roster isn't complete and he hasn't coached a single game yet. But, so much remains unknown at this early stage. What kind of team chemistry will this group have? And how can you know that until the roster is complete and practice has started?
I don't ever want to go down the path of comparing Pope with the previous coach. It's apples and oranges (thankfully).
And yes, I talk to several fans who are in the same frame of thought on Pope as I am. We all want him to be wildly successful because he's a breath of fresh air and one of us. But, UK isn't BYU and this is a definite step up.
We already know the guy can coach. It's been covered ad nausem here on RR why that is. He wasn't hired just because he used to play for UK and loves the school. The coaching isn't really going to be any different between BYU and UK. You can either coach, or you can't. His in-game coaching is really good, and he obviously has the mind to teach a complex offense and implements different defenses. Not only that but he's brought on a stellar staff to help make this all happen.

Does anyone not think that Pope's current roster is already more talented than his roster last year at BYU? I will be shocked if we are worse than a 5 seed in the tourney next year.
I hope you are right. A #5 seed in the NCAA-T is a top 25 finish and I would be delighted with that.

This may be the award winning topic of the year…….. shut the **** uo an support your team and see what they do. You have nothing to prove . You already lose

We already know the guy can coach. It's been covered ad nausem here on RR why that is. He wasn't hired just because he used to play for UK and loves the school. The coaching isn't really going to be any different between BYU and UK. You can either coach, or you can't. His in-game coaching is really good, and he obviously has the mind to teach a complex offense and implements different defenses. Not only that but he's brought on a stellar staff to help make this all happen.
But the fact remains that he has never won a tourney game or been a great recruiter. He has a lot to prove.

I don’t understand the fearmongering about whether we can muster a tourney appearance, etc. The dude just led a team of Mormons to a 5 seed in BYU’s inaugural season in the Big 12. His roster today is lightyears more talented and will most surely be added upon. If he can do it at BYU in the Big 12, he can do it here.

He’s out of the Pitino coaching tree. You all need to lose any doubt that he will win and win big. No UK is not BYU. Your statement basically proves he will be successful. Could anyone recruit at BYU like you can at Kentucky. Be honest, he made up a good team with hardly any so-called 5 Stars and his system which is a lot like Pitinos made BYU competitive. Just look who they beat last year. Pressure defense, shoot the three, if that’s what you want Calipari was a bad hire. 1 Title in 15 years. Was that what you wanted when he was hired? 1 title in 15 years. That’s 1 in 15 years. That sucks no matter how many NBA players you sign.

Looking good for Lanier, Noah, and I’m sure he’s waiting for a couple NBA decisions too. By the time the season starts I wouldn’t be surprised if we compete pretty well. Better team overall than BYU and they did fine. He needs to prove himself but the way some 5 stars are already talking good play and NIL will take care of that. Still plenty of interest in UK.

Anyone that has been paying attention to UKBB for the last 15 years knew that the coach that followed His Highness would have to completely rebuild the roster. CMP is in the process of doing that. Lets let the man do that and see where UKBB ends up. But I'm not going to judge the man on just one season.

The #1 goal for Pope in 24-25, whether it be acknowledged or not, is to establish a brand and a fun style of basketball. It's critical for Pope to prove who he is outside of the BYU / Kentucky circles.

We can lose 13-14 games (don't think we will) but if that is accomplished, it's how we establish a positive trajectory going forward. It's more important than winning any single game.

This. He literally has un upgrade at every starting spot compared to BYU roster.

Schedule won't be much harder either, if at all.

Maybe I'm downing too much blue Kool aid but I have a hard time understanding how we will be any worse than we were last year.

Sure we had generational shooting last year. We also had no offense in the paint. No defense to speak of. No willingness to change things up. Still had a decent season.

Give Pope several months with this crew and they will be fully capable at making a run for the SEC regular season. No doubt in my mind.

So, Pope has to “prove himself.” But not this year? Why? He’s starting out not that much worse than a lot of programs who lost nearly everyone, and with the Kentucky name and very fat NIL bankroll. If he can’t “prove himself” this year by at least making the tournament he’s probably not ready for the job.

For the record, I figure the Cats will be a 6-7 seed.
Bullshit!!! Nobody lost its entire roster AND all but one of its recruiting class AFTER the NCAA Tournament. All of the top hundred recruits were committed and coaching staffs had been recruiting the best portal players at least 2 weeks before he was hired. He has only had a full staff for about 2 weeks. As for realistic expectations related to portal and NIL your are just spouting what you THINK as this is only the 2nd real year of this system so a realistic baseline for the norm has not been established. Once again NOBODY has been forced to field a team under conditions AND the limited time frame Pope has faced. This thread is mainly a bunch of guys grousing because YOUR guy didn't get hired and setting a bar year one so high it can't be reached. Then next year you all can sit on your high horses and smugly tell us " I told you so". Give Pope a FAIR chance which might mean lowering expectations for next year ( a waste of time because I know some will not)

Thanks Eeor.

This is a pathetic post.

No it's not. That's a false statement.

He missed the NCAA in 2013. Stayed 11 more years....so....

Cal is no longer here because he chose to run out on the mess he left behind. Not because he missed the NCAA tournament.

I feel like 2013 he got a mulligan because of the title in 12.

As far as the reasoning he left, it played a part. I mean not making the tournament and then also losing in the first round two of the last three years........that turned the fanbase against him. At least the ones that weren't already against him.

The results matter. Even for a guy who had a massive buyout and a "lifetime" contract. At the end of the day if you don't produce here, you'll be gone one way or the other.

Reactions: cathouse
This. He literally has un upgrade at every starting spot compared to BYU roster.

Schedule won't be much harder either, if at all.

Maybe I'm downing too much blue Kool aid but I have a hard time understanding how we will be any worse than we were last year.

Sure we had generational shooting last year. We also had no offense in the paint. No defense to speak of. No willingness to change things up. Still had a decent season.

Give Pope several months with this crew and they will be fully capable at making a run for the SEC regular season. No doubt in my mind.
Good to get affirmation from a Haggin Haller, where I hung out in 77.

• Haha
Reactions: HagginHall1999
Mark Pope is a smart guy. I believe he’s identified the players he wanted and wrapped them up early. He has coached against several of the guys we got from the portal. I expect almost every guy he’s brought in will improve next season. This is a good team

After watching several of Pope's games last year, the fact he took that BYU team into Kansas and beat them when Cal couldn't. I think he has a roster that he can get to the NCAA next season, and most likely win a couple of games something we haven't seen in 4 seasons.

Bullshit!!! Nobody lost its entire roster AND all but one of its recruiting class AFTER the NCAA Tournament. All of the top hundred recruits were committed and coaching staffs had been recruiting the best portal players at least 2 weeks before he was hired. He has only had a full staff for about 2 weeks. As for realistic expectations related to portal and NIL your are just spouting what you THINK as this is only the 2nd real year of this system so a realistic baseline for the norm has not been established. Once again NOBODY has been forced to field a team under conditions AND the limited time frame Pope has faced. This thread is mainly a bunch of guys grousing because YOUR guy didn't get hired and setting a bar year one so high it can't be reached. Then next year you all can sit on your high horses and smugly tell us " I told you so". Give Pope a FAIR chance which might mean lowering expectations for next year ( a waste of time because I know some will not)
Great post. Ditto

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT