ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: The national media has weighed in. Kentucky should be “humbled” by the hiring of Pope. Are you “humbled”?

Are you humbled?

• Yes. I’m humbled

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • No. Still the greatest program of all time

Votes: 199 84.3%

• Total voters
Right. Just as credible as his thread earlier claiming a “source” said Antoine Walker would be the next S/C coach 😂😂😂

What’s sad is how many people he gets to buy into his trolling threads. Just look at how many people here he’s got to join in the “then screw the media!” chorus …despite the fact that this thread’s premise is just not true.

Honestly, the only people I’ve seen say anything similar to the “humbled” thing were our own fans during that mass temper tantrum a couple nights ago right after the hiring was announced. As for the national media, I’ve actually been surprised by how positive most of them have been about it.

Not sure I buy this thread’s premise. I’ve seen a good number of national media people praising the hire.

Who exactly has said we “should be humbled” by it?
I've yet to hear that used as well. If we weren't humbled by the '21 debacle, then I'd say the St. Peter's and Oakland losses sure helped to humble us. Throw in having 2 total Postseason wins since '19 and I'm ****ing so humble you can call me Kendrick Lamar.

I've yet to hear that used as well. If we weren't humbled by the '21 debacle, then I'd say the St. Peter's and Oakland losses sure helped to humble us. Throw in having 2 total Postseason wins since '19 and I'm ****ing so humble you can call me Kendrick Lamar.
+2 points to pop culture reference

• Haha
Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I must have missed the media reporting the humbling of UNC and Duke when they hired young coaches who had only been assistants. Desperate. EMBARRASSING. Right? 💩

Reactions: UK67KU59
Well, my bizallz have weighed in and they have been deemed the PERFECT size and weight with excellent accommodating dimensions to fit and lay snugly on the National Medias face. Taters up beeches.

Dear Lord Baby Jesus,
Forgive those who do not know what Kentucky Basketball is......
Let the wrath be upon them...
People thinking nothing will come from the 96 teams bloodline unified have another thing coming. The support and coaching DNA along with the contributions from BBN and boosters who are VERY happy to stick it to CCC in a vengeance tour are significant to say the least.
Our coach beat Kansas last year with BYU players, and CCC couldn't do it with his. Last year remind you!!!
That energy and knowledge of a true champion that's been there and done that is going to rub off on these players, and I bet it looks A LOT different than the ol CCC puckeroo.

Let's see ... how many other programs are there whose coach was a Captain on a team that won the NCAA Basketball National Championship ? Let me think now ... Hmmm.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
The media didn’t say a word or take shots when Duke hired Scheyer or when UNC hired Davis who were far less qualified because they didn’t have the ammo to. Y’all gave them the ammo with the on character toxic response to Mark Pope. A lot of people shit on the dude when it was announced after running Cal out and the media took notice.

This hire isn’t a reflection on the state of Kentucky basketball. It’s a reflection on the current landscape of college basketball.

It's not that we're not the blue blood we thought we were. It's that blue blood programs just aren't that attractive to coaching candidates nowadays. You can win anywhere. Every power conference school that cares can pay a coach millions and set up good NIL programs. Coaches don't need a place like Kentucky to win anymore, they can win at Baylor, Bama, or Virginia.

There's a reason UNC and Duke hired from within. The only guys who care about the program tradition are guys from within the program. To other people it just doesn't mean enough to pull them from their current job. Program and history mean nothing in 2024. Programs don't make coaches, coaches make programs.

Throw the crazy expectations of the UK fanbase on top of all of that and it's no wonder none of the big names were really all that interested.
Excellent post!

It took me about 14 hours to come around but now I'm very thrilled we've got Pope.

But as for this question. What does it even mean?

The national media can go plagiarize themselves.

Not humbled because we could've done much better in terms of prestige hire. This was Mitch's choice not his last resort.

Given the egregious mishandling it's hard to really gauge the brand.

This hire isn’t a reflection on the state of Kentucky basketball. It’s a reflection on the current landscape of college basketball.

It's not that we're not the blue blood we thought we were. It's that blue blood programs just aren't that attractive to coaching candidates nowadays. You can win anywhere. Every power conference school that cares can pay a coach millions and set up good NIL programs. Coaches don't need a place like Kentucky to win anymore, they can win at Baylor, Bama, or Virginia.

There's a reason UNC and Duke hired from within. The only guys who care about the program tradition are guys from within the program. To other people it just doesn't mean enough to pull them from their current job. Program and history mean nothing in 2024. Programs don't make coaches, coaches make programs.

Throw the crazy expectations of the UK fanbase on top of all of that and it's no wonder none of the big names were really all that interested.
You obviously are a crowd follower ... just another nameless face in the crowd looking for someone to take your hand and pat you on the head to console you and tell you to be happy being just like everyone else. WTF? Do you claim, in public, to be a Kentucky fan? You just don't understand much and got a lot to learn. Delusional from drinking the Kal-Aid too long. Take a breath and prepare for your detox ... the withdrawals will get better with time.

Kentucky will be fine. What is considered down years many teams would kill to have the run we have had. It is a new era of Kentucky Basketball. If Pope wins big, bet these same people in the media will act like it was a great hire all along instead of acting like Kentucky could not do better. I refuse to believe that. Hurley didn't come, well you can't blame him for that after 2 consecutive titles. I think Drew would have came if not for family pushing back not wanting to uproot from Waco after 20 years. Didn't wait on Donovan so Pope's name came up. People just looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill. They literally did the same thing hiring one of their own as DOOK and UNC did. Really going to look like fools if Pope beats them to winning a title.

LOL if anyone should be humbled it is CAL. Had to tuck his tail between his legs and go to Arkansas, a program that hasn't been relevant since Nirvana was on the music scene. Embarrassed not once but twice in the tournament by a 14 and 15 seed in the past 3 years, a new all-time low for our glorious program.

Reactions: Texcat59
I’m not humbled. I’m pissed at Mitch Barnhardt. There was very little thought or effort in that coaching search.

Yes or no
lol the media hates us.
Screw You Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Well.. I think a little bit. Let's be honest, while many of us are pleased with the pope hire, and while it may turn out to be a fantastic hire.. we have to be real here and realize it wasn't our top hire, maybe not even a top10 hire. The lesson here should be that "no, even kentucky can't just go take any coach it wants". So hopefully there was a little bit of humbling.. and we remember that if Pope doesn't deliver immediately.

Sure, Cal in the 2020’s humbled me. Hiring Pope? That’s a great first step to get the swagger back.

I know our fan base can be insufferable but we prove to be the most rabid and best traveling.

Honestly, I do not know how we got the moniker of “it’s too important to UK fans”? We kick in for billboards, we don’t destroy historical trees like Bama.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT