ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: SEC Expansion

Should the SEC bring in Texas and Oklahoma?

• Yes to both

Votes: 94 50.3%
  • Texas and someone other than Oklahoma

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Oklahoma and someone other than Texas

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • No to both

Votes: 69 36.9%

• Total voters
I don't completely grasp the opposition to this growth other than dislike of change. The college sports landscape is 100% revenue driven these days. Texas is a grandslam addition and OU seems to be a package deal with them. If the SEC doesn't add them then the Big 10 or Pac 12 will and that will not benefit the SEC.
Lead ,follow or get out of the way. Happy to see SEC taking the lead here.

I don't completely grasp the opposition to this growth other than dislike of change. The college sports landscape is 100% revenue driven these days. Texas is a grandslam addition and OU seems to be a package deal with them. If the SEC doesn't add them then the Big 10 or Pac 12 will and that will not benefit the SEC.
Lead ,follow or get out of the way. Happy to see SEC taking the lead here.

how about a ridiculously stacked football league? One we are trying to win and this would make it much much more difficult.

how about a ridiculously stacked football league? One we are trying to win and this would make it much much more difficult.
True that but we are improving each year. As the old saying goes to be the best you have to beat the best. A loaded SEC is a great recruiting tool for Stoops and Company like it has been since they got here.

Tweet on Rafters from Pilgram saying SEC is in serious negotiations and reaching out to Ohio State Michigan Clemson and Florida St along with OU /Texas for a 20 Team SUPER LEAGUE. Wouldn’t that just be crazy in Football. Have 4 five teams divisions North South East West.

Okay with both of them. Then add North Carolina (force Cal to play them home & home for us season ticket holders) and pick between Clemson, WVU, Virginia, or Florida State.

No way Jose to OSU-Columbus & UM-Ann Arbor.

Reactions: The-Hack
True that but we are improving each year. As the old saying goes to be the best you have to beat the best. A loaded SEC is a great recruiting tool for Stoops and Company like it has been since they got here.
Plus, the number of power programs we play in the league each year would probably not change after all is said and done unless we lose lower teams because of this or we cut out the OOC schedule and just play in conference teams.

I agree. We want to be good. How good are you if you rarely beat anybody that's really good ??
You can't beat them, if you don't play them. Bring on Texas and Oklahoma for a better SEC !!

There’s no way this is good for a Kentucky or a USC. There comes a point that you have to choose between cash or a chance to actually win.

Reactions: KMKAT
I’d rather have Clemson, FSU, North Carolina and UVA than Ohio State and Michigan!!

UK should fight to be the northern-most team in the SEC!!!!

I’ll respectfully disagree with the last paragraph, you ain’t picking up the better players recruiting with that deal and the hell with Michigan and O Hi state in the SEC, it’s sickening 🍺

Reactions: The-Hack
Michigan and O Hi state in the SEC, it’s sickening 🍺

Surely if we can wrangle Texas and Oklahoma, our “leaders” would have the common damn sense to focus on valuable teams south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and not cross the Ohio River.

My God, if that came to pass they would “pod” Kentucky with Michigan, Ohio State, Mizzou and likely UT and Vandy.

I hope to God our “leaders” have a tad greater sense of history and culture than to make this error.

Hell, if this is a possibility, Kentucky and UT and Mizzou would make as much sense and almost as much money just going to the B1G, and there is no desire for that to happen, unless the SEC essentially “pods” us into what will really be the B1G “pod” of the new conference.

To Hell with either idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: JumperJack
After reading some of the buy outs, there would have to be HUGE interest for schools in either ACC or Big 10 to jump. For instance the ACC owns the media rights to Clemson (and FSU) till something like 2036.
Then I read the Big 10 buyout from conference is the highest there is.
I kind of doubt this happens. Of course I thought the Texas/Oklahoma thing was just a power play.

Surely if we can wrangle Texas and Oklahoma, our “leaders” would have the common damn sense to focus on valuable teams south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and not cross the Ohio River.

My God, if that came to pass they would “pod” Kentucky with Michigan, Ohio State, Mizzou and likely UT and Vandy.

I hope to God our “leaders” have a tad greater sense of history and culture than to make this error.

Hell, if this is a possibility, Kentucky and UT and Mizzou would make as much sense and almost as much money just going to the B1G, and there is no desire for that to happen, unless the SEC essentially “pods” us into what will really be the B1G “pod” of the new conference.

You know the reason the SEC offices are going outside the region, to increase the footprint and the almighty dollar. North Carolina is about the only market not covered with in the SEC footprint in the deep south.

I am surprised that OSU, Mich, FSU and CU have come out. FSU cant afford to leave the ACC, why would CU leave, they play 1 or 2 games a year, the rest are cakewalks to the playoff. OSU is the same as CU, they are getting big TV money, there is no reason to leave. Mich is tired of being OSU's whipping boy, but tired enough to hopefully go 6-6 in the SEC, at best.

I just cant see either of those leaving their conferences, both are very stable conferences.

If I were a UK fan and wanting to be the northern most team, I wouldnt want to see Cinncy's name come up. They are wanting to join a P5 conference and I think would jump at the chance. I know nothing about their facilities or academics, but athletically they are pretty good in some sports.

tOSU fans would never in a million years be ok with joining the Southeastern Conference. And they would not be alone. The B10 members have a lot of pride in the history of that conference and their teams. They would not be willing to trash all of that to become a member of a conference that is not even their region or connection with.

Texas is geographically part of the south, Oklahoma is sort of like Missouri, it boarders the south and identifies with the south in many regards. Those are logical fits, tOSU or any other B10 team would not be.

tOSU fans would never in a million years be ok with joining the Southeastern Conference. And they would not be alone. The B10 members have a lot of pride in the history of that conference and their teams. They would not be willing to trash all of that to become a member of a conference that is not even their region or connection with.

Texas is geographically part of the south, Oklahoma is sort of like Missouri, it boarders the south and identifies with the south in many regards. Those are logical fits, tOSU or any other B10 team would not be.

I agree with you, I just can't see them fitting in with the south or us with them, can't trush anyone who doesn't drink sweet tea.

It's clear OU and Texas are out of the Big12 and SEC bound. First thing they have to do is convince the remaining schools to stay and give the conference a chance to pull in more teams. Very unlikely they can get any P5 teams to come, here are some schools I think would be open to joining, BYU is a national brand with a huge following, Louisiana Laf, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, UCF, Cincy, Memphis. But then you have to question if they are still a P5 conference. Truth is it will probably be stronger and deeper than the Pac12.
But all speculation on my part, a week ago I would have called BS on Texas and OU to the SEC.

Reactions: UKspecial38
I agree with you, I just can't see them fitting in with the south or us with them, can't trush anyone who doesn't drink sweet tea.

It's clear OU and Texas are out of the Big12 and SEC bound. First thing they have to do is convince the remaining schools to stay and give the conference a chance to pull in more teams. Very unlikely they can get any P5 teams to come, here are some schools I think would be open to joining, BYU is a national brand with a huge following, Louisiana Laf, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, UCF, Cincy, Memphis. But then you have to question if they are still a P5 conference. Truth is it will probably be stronger and deeper than the Pac12.
But all speculation on my part, a week ago I would have called BS on Texas and OU to the SEC.
Boise or they could try to poach Colorado and Utah out of the P12. Better geographical fit IMO.

Good thing I’m not Sanky, I would never let those yankee schools even consider being in the greatest football conference in the history of the United States of the South 🍺

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
Boise or they could try to poach Colorado and Utah out of the P12. Better geographical fit IMO.
Colorado leaving the PAC to return to the Big 12 when the Big 12 might be sinking is unlikely. More likely that the PAC tries to poach from the remainder of the Big 12.

I dont know about the fit, but I think they jump on an offer.

I’m sure they would, but your posts are the only place I’ve heard their name associated with the SEC.

I would think Georgia Tech would
earn an invite back in if the SEC wanted an urban school.

Adding Texas and OU makes sense for UK. Any reach north of the river for OSU, UM, or any other B10 school is hot garbage for UK football.

I’m sure they would, but your posts are the only place I’ve heard their name associated with the SEC.

I would think Georgia Tech would
earn an invite back in if the SEC wanted an urban school.

Tech looks down on the academics of the SEC and I am sure they are tied into that ACC media rights deal.

I don't want Ohio state and michigan in the SEC, but you're fooling yourself if you think the SEC would EVER pass on the opportunity to add these two. These are two of the biggest brands in sports - massive fanbases, massive TV draw, huge endowments, huge stadiums, etc.

If you look at the highest rated games each year, it's almost always the OSU-Michigan game and then followed by other games involving one of these two teams.

An added bonus is that this move would essentially neuter the BIG which is really the only financial competitor to the SEC.

Reactions: Cat06 and The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT