POLL: Is there a God ??

Is there a God ??

• Yes

Votes: 207 76.4%
  • No

Votes: 64 23.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I like to read, when I actually do read, the atheist perspectives here to compare and contrast them to the way I myself was as an atheist.

I was never so bitter, so angry. There's something there. There's a there, there.
Especially when you’re spending all day online angry there are people that believe. Like, why care?

I don’t go to atheist threads and spread the gospel. They can believe as they want. Water off a duck’s back and whatnot.

Next year Easter falls on 4-20. Plan accordingly so you can celebrate by chowing down on JC’s body, guzzling some of his delicious blood, and burning some premo herb. It’s gonna be lit!
I smoke weed everyday so 4/20 is just another day, I actually have found it childish since HS/college. I know 30-40+ year olds that request it off still like they’re sneaky teenagers or something.

But I will be smoking weed on all Easters most likely as long as I enjoy it.

Pretty weird you looked up when next Easter is though…

I like to read, when I actually do read, the atheist perspectives here to compare and contrast them to the way I myself was as an atheist.

I was never so bitter, so angry. There's something there. There's a there, there.

Same here. I enjoyed the challenge of the discussion and debate, but found no need to make fun of or demean. I wasn't not angry about religion. Just did not believe.

Seems like more and more atheists are zealots about their religion and struggle with the fact that others think they are wrong.

Reactions: roguemocha

I find it interesting that you read an atheist perspective and see bitterness and anger. Personally, I’ve only tried to inject some mocking humor into what I write. Because find it odd to the point of humorous when I know people that have convinced themselves that absurdities are real. The only time I have ever gotten angry over religion is when religious people with political power use their religious zealotry to govern. That pisses me off. But since I doubt any poster on this board holds public office, I’m not angry at anyone here.

I find it interesting that you read an atheist perspective and see bitterness and anger. Personally, I’ve only tried to inject some mocking humor into what I write. Because find it odd to the point of humorous when I know people that have convinced themselves that absurdities are real. The only time I have ever gotten angry over religion is when religious people with political power use their religious zealotry to govern. That pisses me off. But since I doubt any poster on this board holds public office, I’m not angry at anyone here.

You don't know anyone here.

Next year Easter falls on 4-20. Plan accordingly so you can celebrate by chowing down on JC’s body, guzzling some of his delicious blood, and burning some premo herb. It’s gonna be lit!

Do you overcome your obvious insecurities by posting things like this?

There are 1000% people in this board holding elected offices, I know that personally lol, so good one.

Do you also get mad at atheist that use their zealotry to govern because that for sure happens too…

“when I know people that have convinced themselves that absurdities are real”

Like when people went to space, the moon, 1000s of feet underwater, flew, drove 300mph in a desert, deadlifted #1000+, did a 360 dunk, a sub 4 minute mile, jumped out of planes and lived, breathed under water, climbed Mount Everest, beat Great Britain in a war in the 18th century as a bunch of colonies, etc etc touching etc.

All those things were once considered absurdities that are now real. So keep saying you KNOW what you KNOW pal.

Not one person in this thread “KNOWS” if a god truly exists. You can feel and have faith in it but you can’t know it until you’re there.

There are 1000% people in this board holding elected offices, I know that personally lol, so good one.

Do you also get mad at atheist that use their zealotry to govern because that for sure happens too…

“when I know people that have convinced themselves that absurdities are real”

Like when people went to space, the moon, 1000s of feet underwater, flew, drove 300mph in a desert, deadlifted #1000+, did a 360 dunk, a sub 4 minute mile, jumped out of planes and lived, breathed under water, climbed Mount Everest, beat Great Britain in a war in the 18th century as a bunch of colonies, etc etc touching etc.

All those things were once considered absurdities that are now real. So keep saying you KNOW what you KNOW pal.

Not one person in this thread “KNOWS” if a god truly exists. You can feel and have faith in it but you can’t know it until you’re there.

You really took a weird turn here. I was talking about people that believe absurd things to be true. You listed things that were beyond mankind’s capabilities at one time, but have since been accomplished.

But….OK! I guess.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
You really took a weird turn here. I was talking about people that believe absurd things to be true. You listed things that were beyond mankind’s capabilities at one time, but have since been accomplished.

But….OK! I guess.
As is understanding or comprehending God, it’s beyond man’s capabilities, which is the point.

You’re expecting a laid out equation for us to provide you so you’ll have proof. Well that’s impossible for our brains my friend. Just like if you told a Native American that one day man would walk on the moon or be in space even, it would literally be incomprehensible to them but we understand it.

Capice?

As is understanding or comprehending God, it’s beyond man’s capabilities, which is the point.

You’re expecting a laid out equation for us to provide you so you’ll have proof. Well that’s impossible for our brains my friend. Just like if you told a Native American that one day man would walk on the moon or be in space even, it would literally be incomprehensible to them but we understand it.

Capice?

Still no! Those two are not even remotely the same.

There’s zero proof that an invisible man lives somewhere about the clouds watching everything we do, and may grant wishes if we close our eyes, fold our hands, and beg. There’s ample proof that man has been in space and to the moon. Not sure how you think these are the same.

This might be the least convincing post in this entire thread. Ohio rarely offers an “atheist’s perspective.” Rather, he mainly just mocks believers. In my experience, most bullies are angry people. The rationalization of that behavior verges on self-delusion for a poster who claims to believe others here are the delusioned.

Still no! Those two are not even remotely the same.

There’s zero proof that an invisible man lives somewhere about the clouds watching everything we do, and may grant wishes if we close our eyes, fold our hands, and beg. There’s ample proof that man has been in space and to the moon. Not sure how you think these are the same.
Of course there is nothing that will 100% prove God exists; however there is a mountain of evidence, that when taken in its totality, points to God being the most reasonable explanation for life.

All of that has been presented ad nauseum in this thread. You can choose what you want to do with all that evidence.

Reactions: roguemocha
Of course there is nothing that will 100% prove God exists; however there is a mountain of evidence, that when taken in its totality, points to God being the most reasonable explanation for life.

All of that has been presented ad nauseum in this thread. You can choose what you want to do with all that evidence.
Can I get a summary of this evidence that "points to God?" I'm curious

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
People like WCFO always intrigue me. They belittle the idea of God to make themselves have a sense of self importance. They always demand proof of His existence, yet never offer up any of their own thoughts in regards to creation, life, laws, design, and answered prayers, for example. Their shallow mindset is so fixated on God vs. their own existence, which essentially is meaningless if you look at their viewpoint. What a sad world that would be.

People like WCFO always intrigue me. They belittle the idea of God to make themselves have a sense of self importance. They always demand proof of His existence, yet never offer up any of their own thoughts in regards to creation, life, laws, design, and answered prayers, for example. Their shallow mindset is so fixated on God vs. their own existence, which essentially is meaningless if you look at their viewpoint. What a sad world that would be.
Funny enough, the concept of the Big Bang Theory was first proposed by a priest. Not trying to argue anything in saying that, just thought it was interesting.

The only time I have ever gotten angry over religion is when religious people with political power use their religious zealotry to govern. That pisses me off. But since I doubt any poster on this board holds public office, I’m not angry at anyone here.

This is how I am. I’m not mad. I’m not bitter. I quite enjoy my life sans religion. I’m a-OK with people of faith having their own belief system and practicing their faith how they see fit … unless that practice seeps into my life. Then, I’m gonna tell you where to go and how to get there.

I only have issue when zealots of any faith try to interject their religious beliefs into legislation that impacts everyone, not just those who adhere to a certain religious doctrine.

Examples include anything from blue liquor laws, abortion laws, marriage laws, “sin” taxes on certain products, aversion to gambling, placing religious symbols/text on public property, etc.

I live my life without telling others how to live theirs. I respect the same courtesy in return.

Can you site examples of this?

I’d love to hear them. The only thing I can think of is (correctly) enforcing the Establishment Clause of the Constitution.

Because the framework that was laid out to govern this country was secular by design so we all wouldn’t be forced to live under the rule of the national religion. This is not, nor will ever be, a Christian theocracy. The Constitution governs the country, not the Bible. Some folks don’t understand this.

Can I get a summary of this evidence that "points to God?" I'm curious
Sure thing my man...in no specific order...

-archeological findings that corroborate what the Bible says with specificity
-all the biblical prophecy that has come true, and has been proven to be true by sources outside the Bible
-all the historical documentation from outside the Bible that speaks to the life, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Christ
-eyewitness testimony by over 500 ppl that saw Christ after he was crucified...specifically, eyewitness testimony that Christ arose from His disciples, who were then executed for what they said (when they could have easily recanted and said it was a lie...they had nothing to gain from lying about seeing a risen Jesus...no fame, no money, no power, no adulation, just death)
-the explosion of the early Church right after Jesus' biblically documented ascension to Heaven, and the subsequent crucifixion of many of these believers by the Roman empire, who historically are known for crucifying early Christians
-life cannot come from non life
-finely tuned universe, complexity of the human body, DNA

That is a good enough start for me. All of the above is more then enough evidence for me to reasonably believe that the God of the Bible created the Heavens and the Earth. And I am not even taking into consideration where objective morality comes from (not even including it above).

• Haha
The country was not secular by design. That is simply not accurate. But that discussion is for a different thread.
Is this real life? The Bill of Rights was pretty clear I thought. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"

This is how I am. I’m not mad. I’m not bitter. I quite enjoy my life sans religion. I’m a-OK with people of faith having their own belief system and practicing their faith how they see fit … unless that practice seeps into my life. Then, I’m gonna tell you where to go and how to get there.

I only have issue when zealots of any faith try to interject their religious beliefs into legislation that impacts everyone, not just those who adhere to a certain religious doctrine.

Examples include anything from blue liquor laws, abortion laws, marriage laws, “sin” taxes on certain products, aversion to gambling, placing religious symbols/text on public property, etc.

I live my life without telling others how to live theirs. I respect the same courtesy in return.
There are many, many, many non-religious individuals who say that life begins at conception (basically the entire science community), and that marriage is between a man and a woman. Many. Is it OK for them to have those viewpoints politically and use that to inform their legislation, as they are not coming from "religious doctrine"?

Second, there are many, many, many progressive Christians who claim that the Bible supports homosexuality ("God is love") and abortion (life beginning at first breath)...would it be OK for them to pass legislation based on those beliefs?

Sure thing my man...in no specific order...

-archeological findings that corroborate what the Bible says with specificity
I mean the people of biblical times were real so it would make sense that there would be things left behind from their era
-all the biblical prophecy that has come true, and has been proven to be true by sources outside the Bible
Most of which are pretty vague that could be attributed to a large multitude of things and considered "fulfilled."
-all the historical documentation from outside the Bible that speaks to the life, ministry, crucifixion, and resurrection of Christ
Jesus was a real person, ok...
-eyewitness testimony by over 500 ppl that saw Christ after he was crucified...specifically, eyewitness testimony that Christ arose from His disciples, who were then executed for what they said (when they could have easily recanted and said it was a lie...they had nothing to gain from lying about seeing a risen Jesus...no fame, no money, no power, no adulation, just death)
a story only found in the bible
-the explosion of the early Church right after Jesus' biblically documented ascension to Heaven, and the subsequent crucifixion of many of these believers by the Roman empire, who historically are known for crucifying early Christians
cultists are good at spreading a message then are willing to die for their leader, what else is new
-life cannot come from non life
look up the Miller-Urey experiment and the theory of abiogenesis
-finely tuned universe, complexity of the human body, DNA
science does science things

• Haha
Reactions: CUJO_1970
I mean the people of biblical times were real so it would make sense that there would be things left behind from their era

Most of which are pretty vague that could be attributed to a large multitude of things and considered "fulfilled."

Jesus was a real person, ok...

a story only found in the bible

cultists are good at spreading a message then are willing to die for their leader, what else is new

look up the Miller-Urey experiment and the theory of abiogenesis

science does science things

Feel free to read this, as it lists historical documentation from outside the Bible (not sure why you glossed over that aspect), many from individuals who hated Christianity.

Again, this speaks to many of the biblical prophecies that have come true outside the Bible. The probability of this happening is, well, I will let you determine that.

Feel free to read this, as it lists historical documentation from outside the Bible (not sure why you glossed over that aspect), many from individuals who hated Christianity.

Again, this speaks to many of the biblical prophecies that have come true outside the Bible. The probability of this happening is, well, I will let you determine that.
You're using links from Cold Case Christianity and Reasons to Believe, I mean come on. Any unbiased scholarly sources?

You're using links from Cold Case Christianity and Reasons to Believe, I mean come on. Any unbiased scholarly sources?
Seriously??? What on Earth does that matter? The articles are using historical evidence, stuff that actually happened in history, to provide support for what the Bible says.

These are actual events that happened in history dude. It doesn't matter if a devout Christian or devout atheist wrote the article. They are providing actual historical evidence. They are not slanted one way or the other.

Common dude, that is really weak, to be honest.

Seriously??? What on Earth does that matter? The articles are using historical evidence, stuff that actually happened in history, to provide support for what the Bible says.

These are actual events that happened in history dude. It doesn't matter if a devout Christian or devout atheist wrote the article. They are providing actual historical evidence. They are not slanted one way or the other.

Common dude, that is really weak, to be honest.
Hate to break it to you but sources do indeed matter

Creation needs a creator.
The creation needs a designer.
Life can't come from non-life.
The lives formed can't automatically have morals, emotions, ability to learn, etc.
Laws of humanity need a law maker.

All of the above are set in stone, unless you would prefer to just believe it happened without any rhyme or reason. Something from nothing, in other words.

Just a general question...not targeting anyone.

Correctly define what NOTHING TRULY IS...then create something from that. Then get back to me.

Edit: needed to reword something...

Last edited:
Reactions: SDC888 and cole854
And what is wrong with the sources used?

Because they are Christians they are lying about actual events that happened in history? You can go look up these events anywhere dude if you want to fact check what they are saying.

Way to be open minded, my friend.
They have a very clear bias. If you want to prove the point so bad then find something that comes from a scholarly source that says the exact same thing. If I tried to quote from something like GodisFake.com or AgnosticsAreRight.org, how likely are you to believe that?

There are many, many, many non-religious individuals who say that life begins at conception (basically the entire science community), and that marriage is between a man and a woman. Many. Is it OK for them to have those viewpoints politically and use that to inform their legislation, as they are not coming from "religious doctrine"?

When I was an atheist/agnostic who could not care less what “the church” or Catholicism said about abortion, college biology courses took me from abortion ambivalence to realize that life began at conception.

Second, there are many, many, many progressive Christians who claim that the Bible supports homosexuality ("God is love") and abortion (life beginning at first breath)...would it be OK for them to pass legislation based on those beliefs?

Here’s the thing: Passing a law that allows gay folks to marry hurts Christians none. No one is forcing them to marry someone of the same sex and they can still lawfully wed their heterosexual partner.

On the flip side, only permitting heterosexuals to marry is exclusionary and doesn’t grant homosexuals the same civil rights as their heterosexual counterparts. That’s my issue - excluding certain groups from equal civil rights based on religious beliefs. Introducing legislation that grants everyone equal civil rights bothers me none. It’s not like granting gay folks the right to legally marry took something away from straight people, but only allowing straight people to marry takes something away from gay people.

Exclusionary legislation that assumes everyone adheres to iChristianity my main beef with those attempting to legislate so-called moral issues. The only argument that can reasonably me made against permitting homosexuals to marry is religious. Given the United States doesn’t have an official religion and is not a theocracy, denying certain groups equal rights based solely on religious beliefs should not be acceptable in a “free” country. Seems more Middle Eastern to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT