ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino

Absolutely no reason for Pitino to be there.

Just cheapened a great night.

He wants it to be about him.
"Why, Johnny @UKBB4Ever , you worthless troll, it looks like someone just walked all over your grave."

FobKf63.gif

What a duffus.......
Pitino is the 2nd greatest coach this school has seen
He appreciated the school, the tradition, and the fans
He basically reinvented UK basketball, while those that followed
were hard pressed to keep it up to tradition

Appreciate everything he did here. 2nd best coach in UK history by far.

Not gonna be a little baby and cry about him showing up like some though. Dude took the one job you can't take and then cheated to win a title there. I guess he sabotaged UL from within so there is that.

What a duffus.......
Pitino is the 2nd greatest coach this school has seen
He appreciated the school, the tradition, and the fans
He basically reinvented UK basketball, while those that followed
were hard pressed to keep it up to tradition
Agreed! He left the NY Knicks to take us when we were at the bottom.

He left us on the top for the Boston Celtics. (I know they weren’t good at the time, but it’s still arguably the best franchise in the NBA). Never forget that.

He made a horrible decision to go to UofL. He has made it clear which program he thinks is best.

Agreed! He left the NY Knicks to take us when we were at the bottom.

He left us on the top for the Boston Celtics. (I know they weren’t good at the time, but it’s still arguably the best franchise in the NBA). Never forget that.

He made a horrible decision to go to UofL. He has made it clear which program he thinks is best.
We can only hope that coach pope has similar success as rp.

I didn't love it myself, but apparently in the minority. Aside from just coaching UofL the dude has been slimey.

For whatever reason though Pope still holds him in such high esteem so I did enjoy seeing Pope get that moment with his coach.
No doubt he has made some mistakes but who hasn't. The main difference is that most of us aren't in the spotlight like pitino

He was absolutely the best coach of my lifetime. He had us on top of the world. Wow what a madness tonight with all the players back and the ovation the great Pitino got he deserves it. I just can’t wait for this season to start for Pope and the team! Pope absolutely gets it and has since day 1!

Man you and your takes always on here. Never quit being you because you never will. Pitino did more great things for this program than any other coach not named Adolph Rupp. Arkansas basketball is that way. —————->

You don’t represent the fanbase by any stretch of the imagination based on his reception tonight. You’re the 1%. There’s always a few of you that just prefer to be negative about everything.
His visit is like a married man still interested in his ex-wife! Married to St.Johns,but still interested in his ex-wife UK! Cheating!

Time heals most wounds. I won't forget some of his past transgressions, but as time has gone on, I can forgive. Since Pope has been named the coach, Pitino has been nothing but positive. We have all made bad mistakes and stupid decisions. Not sure I want him around the program all the time, but Pope and Pitino still have a special bond, and I think Pitino is just proud to see one his his make the big stage. Just my thoughts.

You know I have stated here many times, I do not like the man. But as a program and its one time coach, the time did feel good to allow those open wounds between UK fans and Tricky Ricky heal. UK did that moment right, after the main part of madness and it was a solid close to the night. It was emotional there in Rupp. Again, not changing my view on the guy as I had personal run it with him but as far as fandom between UK / Fans / Rick. All is now fine.

MAIN TAKEAWAY on the whole night: WE GOT OUR PROGRAM BACK! 100% We might not be great this year but as far as a head coach, getting ex players involved, getting fans involved and all for the love one something has has united many a generation is one of the best things to happen this year with all the hate in politics. All I will say there.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I just can’t agree. Only coach in 130 years of basketball to have a ship stripped. Not a good thing for UK to hang out with. His years here were fantastic but he burned his career in more ways than one. He has to live with that.

I have run the spectrum of like/dislike with Pitino. But tonight was enough for me. I was ecstatic with the way it was handled by all.

I don’t know him personally and I’m sure he enjoyed knowing this would piss off Calipari but I do truly think Pitino wishes he never left UK. Tonight was good. Good for him as he has paid for his “sins” and got that appreciation he so desires. Good for the fans because I think we see Pitino does get Kentucky and realizes what could have been for both sides. Time to embrace the positive and move forward regarding Pitino.

Besides the obvious outcome, I sure hope Pope is successful beyond our wildest dreams. He just seems to love UK as much or more than we fans do and does so for all the right reasons.

Last edited:
I suspect there are some holes punched in the walls of Calipari house now. Stoops throwing shade AND bring back Pitino.

I would have never guessed it would have happened that quickly but its definitely a feel good moment. Imagine Rick being the "Y" at the Louisville game! Hell, it might be possible now.

I'm praying Pope is successful at UK. I don't want this feeling I have about the program to end. Can't imagine Hurley or Drew bringing this excitement back to UK

Seems we're always bringing that man to near tears.

I thought it was awesome. It was a one off, and obviously the crowd loved it, so if you hate the man you're in league with U of L fans, who now hate him, too

Reactions: chroix
No doubt he has made some mistakes but who hasn't. The main difference is that most of us aren't in the spotlight like pitino
You're right. We all have made mistakes. His were magnified because of his position. He has acknowledged that KY is the best program and he was sorry he left. But what most people don't think about is that his wife is the one who wanted to leave...not him. She hated Kentucky from the moment she got here and basically said as much in an interview with the paper. They even took up a collection for a plane ticket for her ONLY as a joke. He was doing that to make her happy. She was from New York/ Boston area and wanted to be in the big city. He really didn't want to leave.

So welcome back, Coach Pitino!!

Edit: We have all made mistakes that we're not proud of. In my opinion, only those who haven't (if you're perfect) really have the right to complain and hate Pitino. He has admitted he shouldn't have left Kentucky and his personal life is none of our business. Just like my personal life is no one's business,etc. I just don't get the pure hated some of you have for him. I just don't.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT