ADVERTISEMENT

Phone CALL Tax Idea

vhcat70

All-American
Feb 5, 2003
There's an idea out & about to tax every phone call a penny. If you make 3 calls a day, it's less than $1/month. BUT, if you're robocallers - who collectively make over 1/2 of all USA calls - it's a killer tax that could damage/eliminate the profits. Taxing every call eliminates the need to determine who is the good & bad guy.

What think - besides I don't like any tax?

I like the idea of taxing nuisance industries. The problem is everyone thinks different things are a nuisance. For instance many Americans think Coal is a nuisance, but many think it is a work lifeline. How do we decide?

I think that's a wonderful idea. I think we should package the "phone call tax" with the "every breath you take" tax (because your breathing is releasing CO2 into the atmosphere and as we all know...CO2 bad). We will call it the OTB (Omni-Tax Bill).

Get AOC on the line...should be no problem piggybacking the OTB with the GND 2.0 that is inevitably on the horizon.

#WokeJedi

I think that's a wonderful idea. I think we should package the "phone call tax" with the "every breath you take" tax (because your breathing is releasing CO2 into the atmosphere and as we all know...CO2 bad). We will call it the OTB (Omni-Tax Bill).

Get AOC on the line...should be no problem piggybacking the OTB with the GND 2.0 that is inevitably on the horizon.

#WokeJedi
Users pay. Lower everyone's fixed base cost to average not with the heavy users tax pay.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Oh, I've received calls from my own number. And so have my parents (their own number).

I've received calls from a legit Capital One number (I don't have a Capital One card or account of any type).

I've received calls from a number that is a hospital in Indiana.

But lately they've been programming their call machines to spoof numbers that are very similar to your own - same area code, same prefix, different last four numbers - hoping you'll think it's a legit local call.

Reactions: homeytheclown
There's an idea out & about to tax every phone call a penny. If you make 3 calls a day, it's less than $1/month. BUT, if you're robocallers - who collectively make over 1/2 of all USA calls - it's a killer tax that could damage/eliminate the profits. Taxing every call eliminates the need to determine who is the good & bad guy.

What think - besides I don't like any tax?
As long as they can apply it correctly I'm for anything that will drive robocallers out of business. Especially the "Our records indicate that your car's warranty is about to expire and this is our last call... I've received literally 500 last calls. And I've recently started receiving those calls on my work phone which is in my employer's name.
Apparently some robocaller is spoofing my work cellphone #. I started getting calls this week from people who said they had just received a call from my number...I never make calls on that phone except to call into Webex meetings when I'm on the road. In the last 7 years I've received maybe a dozen legitimate calls on that line... I use it to check emails and conference calls. It's gotten to the point when the phone rings there;s a 99% chance that it's a telemarketer or someone saying they had received a call from that number.

That sounds exactly like my plan.

I've already decided. The one penny tax would soon turn to two cents because "It's just a penny". What about when it becomes a dime? A dollar?

Read my lips. No. New. Taxes.

Reactions: Chase4UK
I like the concept of the idea, the only problem is most of the junk calls originate off shore so there's no way to collect.
since I download RoboKiller my junk calls have all but stopped. Cost me $5 a month but it's worth it.

What if they use VoIP? Does their ISP collect the tax? I have TMobile for my phone service and they automatically block scam numbers. I think I get about 1 call that makes it through every couple of days. I still never answer any number I don't recognize.

How about a tax idea where if after serving in the us government you are taxed 50%on your net worth if it increases after you leave office, it would decrease liklihood if people using politics to sell out the us like Hillary

I think we need to approach this from the demand side rather than the supply side. Tax the schmucks who actually answer these calls and are gullible enough to believe anything anyone says. It is because of them that robocallers continue to call.

Reactions: homeytheclown
I think we’re all skipping the actual cause - who are the dumbasses that are answering and then signing up for the services thereby keeping the concept of robocalling profitable?

I’d like to see a tax of $7 billion on every political mailer that goes straight from my mailbox to the trash.

Reactions: JDHoss
I think we’re all skipping the actual cause - who are the dumbasses that are answering and then signing up for the services thereby keeping the concept of robocalling profitable?
Mostly your 60+ Crowd I’m guessing. People my age grew up prank calling people so we don’t answer calls not in our contacts

There is little cost in robocalling, it's like junk mail...all it takes in 1 or 2 out of every 1000 and they are making money. Many are preying on the elderly who may be lonely and/or have questionable judgement. One of the red flags we had with my dad in his early days of Alzheimer's was when he fell prey to a scammer to whom he gave his credit card number. Fortunately mom caught him and was able to cancel the card before it could be used. My wife's mother who also had Alzheimer's was targeted as well.

I was visiting my mom recently and she received one that had the caller ID of her elderly neighbor. That should be prison time.
That is the biggest issue to me...the ability to spoof numbers. I'm not sure why the carriers shouldn't be able to block the ability to do so. I've never heard a valid reason it should be allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT